The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Was it you guys that had Largo 5-6 chasing 240 and lost?Or was that the 2's or 3's?

We played the 2nds at our place the other week, good bunch of guys.

Errr it was us that lost to Largo and I took one of the catches at slip. In mitigation (if there is any), 4 of the first 5 wickets were their younger players and the more experienced guys came in after that. However there is no way we should have lost that game. Cracking pitch, cracking tea and decent bunch of guys though.

Guest The Phoenix
Errr it was us that lost to Largo and I took one of the catches at slip. In mitigation (if there is any), 4 of the first 5 wickets were their younger players and the more experienced guys came in after that. However there is no way we should have lost that game. Cracking pitch, cracking tea and decent bunch of guys though.

Teas must have improved. Last time I was there, they dished up bags of sandwiches in the changing room and gave us a bottle of diluting orange to make our own drinks.

Decent wee ground and good views though.

It should temper the Kiwi's huff's about it though.

It was a disgraceful act of extreme gamesmanship and to keep making excuses for him by referring to some other incident simply doesn't wash. Collingwood should be sacked and that is the end of the matter.

It was a disgraceful act of extreme gamesmanship and to keep making excuses for him by referring to some other incident simply doesn't wash. Collingwood should be sacked and that is the end of the matter.

:lol:

I haven't made one single excuse for him, I just think it's a bit rich the strop the Kiwi's threw about it, then refusing to shake hands etc.

Edited by kullibino

Given the ammount of money on offer for matches now and the future (20/20) i can see more of the type of incident we saw yesterday at the Oval.

I hope im wrong but...The good thing in cricket compared to football is most of the umpires have played 1st class cricket.

Does anybody no if A Nell is playing for S Africa on their tour he is a real pain.

Teas must have improved. Last time I was there, they dished up bags of sandwiches in the changing room and gave us a bottle of diluting orange to make our own drinks.

Decent wee ground and good views though.

They had opened up the church hall round the corner from the ground and we had lovely egg and cress sandwiches with cups of tea and cakes, was cracking. It is a lovely place to play cricket.

Sangakkara was batting with Murali, he hit a 2(I think, might have been another scoring shot) after they had completed the run that borough up his 100, Murali walked down the wicket to give his a hug/shake his hand. The Kiwi fielder threw the ball in, McCullum whipped the bails off, and they appealed.

http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2006/dec/09murali.htm

Can't find the video. No apology from them afterwards either.

It should temper the Kiwi's huff's about it though.

The Laws of Cricket state-

Law 38 (Run out)

1. Out Run out

(a) Either batsman is out Run out, except as in 2 below, if at any time while the ball is in play

(i) he is out of his ground and

(ii) his wicket is fairly put down by the opposing side.

( b ) ( a ) above shall apply even though No ball has been called and whether or not a run is being attempted, except in the circumstances of Law 39.3 ( b ) (Not out Stumped).

2. Batsman not Run out

Notwithstanding 1 above, a batsman is not out Run out if

(a) he has been within his ground and has subsequently left it to avoid injury, when the wicket is put down.

( b ) the ball has not subsequently been touched again by a fielder, after the bowler has entered his delivery stride, before the wicket is put down.

( c ) the ball, having been played by the striker, or having come off his person, directly strikes a helmet worn by a fielder and without further contact with him or any other fielder rebounds directly on to the wicket. However, the ball remains in play and either batsman may be Run out in the circumstances of 1 above if a wicket is subsequently put down.

(d) he is out Stumped. See Law 39.1 ( b ) (Out Stumped).

(e) he is out of his ground, not attempting a run and his wicket is fairly put down by the wicket-keeper without the intervention of another member of the fielding side, if No ball has been called. See Law 39.3 ( b ) (Not out Stumped)

So technically, both Muralitharan and Elliott were run out, Murali was not leaving his ground to avoid injury [Rule 2(a)] and Elliott under [Rule 1 (a) (i)] attempting a run and being outwith his ground.

What cannot be disputed, is the fact that in both instances, common sense should have prevailed and both batsmen should have been recalled by the respective Captains of the fielding sides.

Collingwood has just got a 4 match ban for slow over rate.

About time too.

Guest The Phoenix

About time too.

Worst news ever - he misses getting lynched by thousands of Mel Gibson impersonators at the match v Scotland.

Finally saw the run-out incident- can't attach any blame to Sidebottom (who was going for the ball), or Bell / Pietersen for effecting the run out as anyone would in the circumstances, but Collingwood's actions are inexcusable, cowardly in fact. That said, I agree about the Murali incident and Fleming's actions, although Murali was stupid to do what he did in the first place whereas Elliot had no choice in the matter.

Caption competition:

734029.jpg

Does anybody no if A Nell is playing for S Africa on their tour he is a real pain.

Nel is in the squad, would imagine he'll be the 4th of 4 fast bowlers- although they might play one of the two spinners they've brought.

About time too.

That is a real shocker. They are making an example of him, and I think many more bans will take place over this issue if they really are clamping down on it.

However... would be funny if they kept their slow over rate up and Peitersen got banned!!