The Cricket Thread

bewlay

27 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Does that not confirm top spot in the group with Namibia losing 2 in a row? Or is another win needed?

That’s top spot secure. The gap is 11 points to Namibia, who have 4 left to play (2 points for a win). The only other team that were technically still in it this morning were the UAE, they still have 10 games to play with a 21 point gap. 

England on top after day 1 in the Bay of Plenty, NZ 37/3 in reply to England's 325/9 declared after less than 60 overs.

Side note, anyone got a decent cricket scores update page to follow on twitter, I've had to stop following cricinfo as I don't care about the various T20 / T10 league or women's under 19 cricket and they tweet about 300 times a day (also it's basically an India cheerleader account). I follow a few English journos but nobody seems to be updating on this series. Don't really want to follow English national team page either.

2 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

England on top after day 1 in the Bay of Plenty, NZ 37/3 in reply to England's 325/9 declared after less than 60 overs.

Side note, anyone got a decent cricket scores update page to follow on twitter, I've had to stop following cricinfo as I don't care about the various T20 / T10 league or women's under 19 cricket and they tweet about 300 times a day (also it's basically an India cheerleader account). I follow a few English journos but nobody seems to be updating on this series. Don't really want to follow English national team page either.

I know their app updates so presume this will https://www.nzc.nz/?showHome=true

Scotland made 274/9 against Nepal after being put in to bat by Nepal. A maiden ODI century for Michael Leask the highlight, he was 107 not out from 85 balls.

Nepal made a fast start in reply, taking an ODI record 23 runs from the first over and were 31-0 after 2. Plenty wickets since though and they’re now 98/5 from 14 overs. 3 wickets for Sole, 2 for Watt. 

Edited by die hard doonhamer

England seem determined to make sure this game finishes inside four days.  They really have transformed test match cricket.   Remember Chris Silverwood’s desire to return to the days of 2.5 runs per over being a steady run rate?

Only two down with a lead of 98 puts England on top.  You wouldn’t want to be chasing much more than 250 on this pitch under the lights.  

I do think the day/night pink ball games change too much, in general,  in the evening session though.  

3 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Scotland made 274/9 against Nepal after being put in to bat by Nepal. A maiden ODI century for Michael Leask the highlight, he was 107 not out from 85 balls.

Nepal made a fast start in reply, taking an ODI record 23 runs from the first over and were 31-0 after 2. Plenty wickets since though and they’re now 98/5 from 14 overs. 3 wickets for Sole, 2 for Watt. 

Disappointment in the end as Nepal get home with 3 wickets and 3 overs to spare. Impressive chase from the Nepal middle order, but there was some really poor bowling on show from the Scotland boys. Very disappointing. 

Another Scotland win this morning against Namibia. Namibia won the toss and elected to field, and they’d have felt pretty good about that decision as they bowled us out for 221. They looked the favourites for a decent spell in the chase as well, before being bowled out for 178. Watt (4-41) and Leask (3-42) once again the pick of the bowlers. Leask’s development as a bowler over the last couple of years has been excellent. 

Another defeat to Nepal finishes off Scotland’s CWC2 campaign. A game that should have been won, much like the first Nepal game. Scotland bowled out for 221, Nepal were still 75 short of their target when their 8th wicket fell. They got home with 2 wickets in hand, though. Disappointing way to finish, but overall a successful campaign. 

I don’t think there’s any games scheduled before the World Cup qualifier in Zimbabwe in June, and then the T20 WC qualifier at home in July. A big summer ahead. 

10 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

A bit of Scottish domestic chat here. Forfarshire are heading to Malaga to play in the European Cricket League T10 in a couple of weeks, we chatted to a couple of their guys looking ahead to it

I heard the mention on Tailenders, good crossover!

13 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

If a track this one sided had appeared in India everyone would be screaming murder. Just saying. 

It’s one sided in terms of favouring the bowlers, but it’s not a pitch that favours one team over the other. Pitches like this is what the English bowlers were literally brought up on. If they’d have prepared this pitch against anyone but England there would be outrage, but this pitch suits England just as much as it does NZ. 

Think England have done fine, the pitch won't be as spicy the longer it goes on and the fact England are 60-3 rather than 15-3 after an hour helps. 

Love the Basin Reserve, used to walk through it every day going to / from work when I lived in Wellington, my old flat is at the back of the Mcdonalds you see at the scoreboard end from the drone / crane shots. You'd think the traffic noise would be mental but the shape of it almost blocks the noise out and keeps the crowd noise in. 

Edited by Fuctifano