The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Calum MacLeod has announced his retirement from international cricket. I’m genuinely sad at this. One of the best batters that Scotland has ever produced. I thought that the time was right for him to step away from T20s, but he very much still has it when it comes to ODIs. A Scottish cricket legend, that innings against England will be remembered for generations. 

Sri Lanka started well but their scoring rate has stalled badly from about the 12th over onwards. Rashid and Sam Curran had very good spells. Sri Lanka need 2 huge overs to finish.

Malan limped off holding his groin so it's unclear if he will be able to bat, and how effective he might be.

The Netherlands create a massive upset by beating South Africa. As a result, Pakistan qualify for the semi-finals at SA's expense. The Netherlands now qualify automatically for the next World Cup. 🥳

Also good news for both Scotland & Ireland. With the new qualification structure, Europe has 2 spots. With England & Netherlands qualifying automatically, you'd expect both Scotland & Ireland to pick up those 2 tickets as the gap with the rest is usually quite big.

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

And....there's exactly why I expected the Netherlands to upset South Africa. Pakistan being the spawniest nation in any sport on the planet.

I’d have gone with South Africa being perennial chokers as a bigger driver of any such inclinations. 

India getting spanked is always a wonderful sight. 

I thought England were actually a bit disappointing with their bowling at the death. Too many short balls with the boundary dimensions at Adelaide, and have Jordan bowl 3 was 1 too many. Superb batting display from Buttler and Hales though, they were ahead of the game from the first over and never looked back. 

I enjoy watching Ashwin get hit around the park, and never tire of seeing Kohli lose, but I was hoping for an India Pakistan final for the atmosphere, and ensuring england cant win it.

I don't think England's bowling is that great, but overall they have a bit more depth than Pakistan, but if Shaheen has an over like his first the other day it could be fun.

It's been a good world cup, and now I want to play again. Going to see if I can get an ambulance on retainer.

Now I need to decide if I'm going to watch the final at 2am or avoid my phone and watch the replay in the morning.