The Cricket Thread

bewlay

19 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Aye, we’ve been very good at limiting the amount of boundaries they are hitting compared to the amount we got during these overs. Plus now starting to pick up wickets.

Really should be a comfortable win.

Mon the Zimbabwe.

0C438516-F1E0-47C5-A183-04151241A120.gif

Bit ridiculous that after humping WI, we're now either going to have to beat Zimbabwe, or pray that other results and RR combine with the weather to see us through by default. Always a risk in short round-robin formats that one result screws you, but if you'd picked us to win any game it would be the Ireland one. I guess we'll know a bit more once the WI v Zim result is known.

Does H2H take precedence over net RR in deciding the table?

4 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Still, assuming WI win their games, better to lose to Ireland than Zimbabwe... I think? Basically we beat Zimbabwe we qualify barring an unlikely sequence of events unless I have got this wrong.

Unless Zimbabwe beat Windies today, then we would have been through if we had beaten Ireland, we always really needed to beat Zimbabwe. 

The WI result was just a bonus that would have got you top spot if you ended up winning the 2 games you really needed to win. Plus it gives you a bit of an insurance policy if you f**k up against the team least likely to qualify, like we just have.

Edited by PB1994

If we beat Zimbabwe we are through because no matter what happens in the other game there will be a maximum of two sides on 4 points.

I think in the scenario involving rained off matches we should be ok because our net RR is still pretty healthy, so if everyone is tied on 3 points we'll get through, but the complications start if one match is rained off and the other isn't, or there are lopsided results in the other matches we're not playing in. We won't really know until WI v Zim is played, but I can't seem to find any info on whether H2H or Net RR is the decider between two teams tied on points.

NRR is the tie breaker so theoretically we can get through if

Zimbabwe win today vs WI 

Zimbabwe beat us narrowly 

West Indies beat Ireland narrowly 

Would file under "unlikely" 

Or Zimbabwe win today and both games on Friday are rained off. 

Forecast for Hobart on Friday below,  WI vs Ireland starts at 1500 local time and Scotland vs Zimbabwe 1900 local time so no doubt Ireland will beat WI to get to 4 points and we'll be rained off and end up with 3.

image.png.08503630874d977cbb861e10a5494563.png

Edited by Fuctifano

3 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Yeah, struggling a bit.

If Zimbabwe do win this it means that we really have to pray for a WI win over Ireland on Friday, because if our game gets rained off that's the only way we go through.

I’d normally be quite confident of that but Windies really don’t look very good and would have nothing to play for.

That collapse from us this morning is going to cost us isn’t it.

Edited by PB1994

7 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Windies having a bit of a collapse here.

Zimbabwe have got to be favourites to win this now.

Not sure what this does for our chances but I don’t imagine it is any good.

Depends if you're an optimist or a pessimist. 

If Zimbabwe win, we can still win on Friday and go out on NRR, which we can't if WI win. A WI win today does at least keep it in our own hands (weather aside)

However if Zimbabwe win, we can also lose and go through on NRR if WI beat Ireland by a relatively narrow margin and we don't get absolutely hammered by Zimbabwe.

Looking at that forecast I posted earlier I think both games will go ahead, ours might be shortened.