The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Managed to get a day in at the LV= Div 2 Championship game earlier this week, Derbyshire Vs Durham.  It’s been a long time since I last did this, but was a pleasant reminder, just how enjoyable it can be, a quiet afternoon at the Cricket with a cold beer. 

685F2F12-EAA2-45DC-95EE-1F2910E5BEEC.jpeg

Wonder how many 4 innings Tests there have been where there was a result and the highest total in any of the innings was only 169?

I'm sure there must have been a fair few stinkers back in the days of uncovered wickets where it was more about not being killed rather than scoring runs, but in the modern era I can only think of a few Tests that have been played on badly prepared or damaged wickets that have come close to this degree of universal batting ineptitude.

Reckon if this was a County match there'd be an official investigation into the wicket?

(Note, I'm not suggesting the wicket is an issue here, only that it's bizarre there's an assumption there likely would be something improper at County level, yet not if it's Test players playing like a pub team and producing the same outcome on the same ground)

• 2 weeks later...

County Champs looks fun this week. Lancashire reduced to 7/6 (seven for six), Hampshire rolled for 50 odds too. Although a bit of sour grapes from Glenn Chapple asking for points deductions. Did none of the bright sparks at the ECB think this would happen when they pushed red-ball matches to September?

1 minute ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

County Champs looks fun this week. Lancashire reduced to 7/6 (seven for six), Hampshire rolled for 50 odds too. Although a bit of sour grapes from Glenn Chapple asking for points deductions. Did none of the bright sparks at the ECB think this would happen when they pushed red-ball matches to September?

I remember Chapple taking a 5for when we rolled Essex over for 20, dont recall him moaning at the time. Pitch is obviously shite as well as the conditions favouring bowlers, but it's shite for both teams.

11 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

It's in the rules but just not cricket

I see this any time Mankad comes up. Why not? If the non striker is daft enough to meander halfway up the pitch I have no issue with it. Is it any worse than a bowler deflecting a played shot onto the non striker's stumps when they're out of the crease? 

14 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I think it’s great awareness from the bowler. The batter needs to be paying more attention. The quicker non-striker run outs are accepted the better (also want to see the Mankad term disappear). 

For this particular wicket, the batter's lack of awareness is laughable 

I see this any time Mankad comes up. Why not? If the non striker is daft enough to meander halfway up the pitch I have no issue with it. Is it any worse than a bowler deflecting a played shot onto the non striker's stumps when they're out of the crease? 

Normally got no sympathy for anyone dismissed by a Mankad. They are trying to gain an advantage by getting a yard of a start so tough shit if the bowler has spotted that and whips the bails off. Spirit of the game doesn't seem to matter with things like the batsman walking when they know fine well they are out.

Bit different today though, the batsman was still in her ground when the bowler reached the crease, but the bowler then hung on to the ball and once the batsman moved then she whipped the bails off.
50be57b8e4f7ac5ace2f38cc10d83692.jpg

As much as it's lol because England , @peasy23has it spot on, from the photo the non striker wasn't taking the piss and the bowler was clearly looking to 'dummy' the non striker which was a bit shite

As a former spinner I did give a couple of warnings for it if the non striker was halfway up the pitch, but never did it, mainly as I feared getting the shit kicked out of me. 

My take on 'Mankad' is, and always has been, that if a non-striker is egregiously taking the piss, i.e. half way down the wicket before you are even in your delivery stride, then  it's polite to fake whipping the bails off once and sternly warn them, but if it happens again then tough.

It's not even difficult to get it right and back up properly as a non-striker, you watch the bowler into their stride, and when the arm starts to come over the top you set off at a brisk walk. If the bowler suddenly stops dead and threatens to run you out when you are backing up in a perfectly normal and reasonable manner, then they're being a bit of an unsporting dick and it's not really in the spirit of cricket.

I've seen an umpire refuse to give a non-striker out in this exact scenario, explaining that the bowler was being unsporting and asking the captain if he wished to withdraw the appeal, which the captain duly did. Obviously it caused a stooshie, and by the letter of the law a run out is a run out, but I was in full agreement with the umpire despite being on the fielding side at the time.

I'm old-fashioned, and probably a bit naive, in that I do think there is an 'ethos' that Cricket should be played to. I do not believe in cheating as a means to an end, but when I've been on the receiving end of it I have responded in kind. I've always been a walker, but not when the opposition has already batted and proven that they don't play the game in the same spirit. I wouldn't mankad an opponent without warning them for taking liberties, and I wouldn't expect it to be done to me in return, but then I wouldn't be 5 yards down the wicket in any case :lol:

Edited by Boo Khaki