The Cricket Thread

bewlay

8 down, Broad came in and swung hard for a bit for 35 before looping a slower ball to Elgar, Potts added 1 before having his stumps rearranged by Jansen.

9 down before I even post, Stokes lashing one that is caught well inside the boundary. Still 15 behind.

On 05/07/2022 at 17:24, Boo Khaki said:

I'm reserving judgement until I've seen how they play against a top attack on a dodgy wicket. I'm not sure this isn't just an overdose of the 'blat it out of the ground in all and any conditions' moron-fest the Test team has been over the past 5 or so years, only it's come off for them because Bairstow is in the form of his life. 

If they can do this sort of thing regularly on decent tracks and recognise when to rein it in and grind out runs on pudding wickets instead of going out all guns blazing, playing stupid shot after stupid shot, and getting rolled for 120, then I'll take my hat off to them. The problem they've had recently isn't that they haven't been able to chase down scores of 300+ in the 4th inning, it's far too much of the ridiculous brain-dead cricket in run-of-the-mill situations caused by playing far too much white ball and not nearly enough red ball in testing conditions, resulting in far too many sub-par scores and batting collapses. IF they've fixed that and they can still play like this when the going is good, then that's great.

ahem...

Remember when the common trope was teams like India and WI 'can't cope with English conditions', well it seems like England no longer can either. 

Unless it's a powderpuff attack on an absolute road that they can get away with playing T20 against, they are hopeless.

Beaten by an innings after your opponent scores only 326. That's the sort of stuff that Bangladesh and Zimbabwe used to get pilloried for.

I've just seen Crawley's dismissal in the 2nd inning for the first time. What the flying f**k is a Test opener doing trying to sweep a left-armer from a good length on middle stump? That's just schoolboy shit. In fact, I'd be bloody furious if I saw a school opener playing that. :bag

Edited by Boo Khaki

It’s T20 finals day in the domestic game today. In the men’s finals day, Ferguslie have beaten Gala and Forfarshire got passed Heriot’s in the semi finals. The final, at Stirling, starts in just under 10 minutes.

In the women’s day, Northern Lights defeated West of Scotland at Freuchie, while Stewarts Melville got passed Carlton at Falkland. The final takes place at 4 o’clock at Falkland.

Both games will be shown on the Cricket Scotland YouTube channel  https://youtube.com/c/CricketScotlandTV

Edited by die hard doonhamer

6 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

It’s T20 finals day in the domestic game today. In the men’s finals day, Ferguslie have beaten Gala and Forfarshire got passed Heriot’s in the semi finals. The final, at Stirling, starts in just under 10 minutes.

In the women’s day, Northern Lights defeated West of Scotland at Freuchie, while Stewarts Melville got passed Carlton at Falkland. The final takes place at 4 o’clock at Falkland.

Both games will be shown on the Cricket Scotland YouTube channel  https://youtube.com/c/CricketScotlandTV

Both trophies heading North, with the Northern Lights claiming the women’s title in their debut season, and Forfarshire convincingly beating Ferguslie to take the men’s crown. 

11 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Whoever it was you claimed Zak Crawley has compromising pictures of people must be spot on! How is he still in the England side?

They named the squads for the first two tests at the same time so he was always going to play in this one as well.

Will be interesting to see if he makes it for the third test.