The Cricket Thread

bewlay

A brilliant start for England turns into a catastrophic few overs as Crawley leaves one onto his stumps, Bumrah nicks Pope off into his latest failure and Joe Root embarrassingly runs out their most set batsman.

1 minute ago, peasy23 said:

And England in a bit of trouble now, losing 3 wickets for 2 runs, with Lees and Root causing Lees to be run out after Pope had gone first ball after tea.

Still trying to figure out if there was actually a run there. Lees took an age to get going.

1 minute ago, PB1994 said:

Still trying to figure out if there was actually a run there. Lees took an age to get going.

There absolutely was a run there, and because of where it went it was Root’s call as well. Lees was too busy looking for the ball rather than responding to the call. 

On 03/07/2022 at 12:46, Left Back said:

When India had Tendulkar, Ganguly and Laxman?

OK you had Dravid at 3 but I’m struggling to think of many decent openers they had in that period.

Still think Laxman is the most elegant 'coaching manual' batsman I've seen play live. Next to no personal foibles or wee idiosyncrasies, everything totally textbook. Peak Michael Vaughn second. Funny how the same thing happened to both. Purple patch of 3-4 years, then the eyes went, they played down the wrong line constantly and were never quite the same. Something about a batsman that plays technically correctly that is always entertaining, every bit as much as the modern players who slog everything and don't care about wiping across the line.

Winviz now moving into Englands favour, if this pair are still together in the 60th Over then I suspect it is done.  Pitch isn't doing much & the ball is soft, Bairstow will probably start teeing off soon.

Winviz now moving into Englands favour, if this pair are still together in the 60th Over then I suspect it is done.  Pitch isn't doing much & the ball is soft, Bairstow will probably start teeing off soon.
Is Bairstow changing bat a sign?

4 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
9 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Is Bairstow changing bat a sign?

Tbf, this summer, Bairstow being at the wicket is usually a sign.

12 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

I reckoned England would have to be no more than 4 down at the close to have a chance.  2 quick wickets tonight or early doors tomorrow puts India firmly in the box seat for me.

Just now, Left Back said:

I reckoned England would have to be no more than 4 down at the close to have a chance.  2 quick wickets tonight or early doors tomorrow puts India firmly in the box seat for me.

Yep, this Bumrah & Shami spell now is pivotal, if they see them off they should win the Test.

2 hours ago, PB1994 said:

Does anybody know if you can pay at the gate for the Scotland game on Sunday?

CS website says tickets may be available on the day, but offers nothing further than that. 

On the test, 119 runs required with 7 wickets in hand, I make England firm favourites from here. 

McMillian seems to have found a way to lift the pressure from the players and let their natural game flow. Root and Bairstow have looked like they are batting for a local club. They just look so happy and comfortable. Others seem under much less pressure. Only Stokes seems to be trying to "lead" and force it. But if him shaving a couple of his batting average is the price for what is unfolding in the middle then more power to that. 

Watching England transform from a team that you felt could implode chasing 220 into a team that looks at 380 and smirks has been out of this world.