The Cricket Thread

bewlay

1 minute ago, Moomintroll said:

YJB at it again, has there ever been a Test Team where the 4,5,6 have been so much better than the Top order?

When India had Tendulkar, Ganguly and Laxman?

OK you had Dravid at 3 but I’m struggling to think of many decent openers they had in that period.

40 minutes ago, Left Back said:

When India had Tendulkar, Ganguly and Laxman?

OK you had Dravid at 3 but I’m struggling to think of many decent openers they had in that period.

Fair point, but as you already said they had The Wall at 3 so they had a better opener than their openers coming in first drop.

Inconclusive on the Shreyas catch to dismiss Potts, the ball seem to ‘pop’ for me, as the fielder fumbled an attempt to scoop it up, suggesting that it hit the ground first, Shreyas then snatching it with a second bite. Not suggesting that it was a deliberate attempt to claim the catch when the fielder knew the ball had been grounded, but the benefit of doubt has to go to the batsmen surely? 

3 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

Inconclusive on the Shreyas catch to dismiss Potts, the ball seem to ‘pop’ for me, as the fielder fumbled an attempt to scoop it up, suggesting that it hit the ground first, Shreyas then snatching it with a second bite. Not suggesting that it was a deliberate attempt to claim the catch when the fielder knew the ball had been grounded, but the benefit of doubt has to go to the batsmen surely? 

Third umpire has to give the benefit of doubt to the soft signal.

11 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Third umpire has to give the benefit of doubt to the soft signal.

Modern rules of the game eh!

The on-field Umpire was in doubt judging by the time he took to indicate his ‘soft signal’ and also clearly consulted his colleague at Square Leg. Should have called ‘not out’ then referred upstairs. The third Umpire would also have declared uncertain, and upheld the decision. Fair call. 
Not that it’s going to make much difference in the grand scheme of things in this game!😀

1 minute ago, Clockwork said:

Modern rules of the game eh!

The on-field Umpire was in doubt judging by the time he took to indicate his ‘soft signal’ and also clearly consulted his colleague at Square Leg. Should have called ‘not out’ then referred upstairs. The third Umpire would also have declared uncertain, and upheld the decision. Fair call. 
Not that it’s going to make much difference in the grand scheme of things in this game!😀

I’d go with that.  Umpire should be 100% certain to give a soft signal of out.