The Cricket Thread

bewlay

ICC's website for the World Cup League 2 is an absolute dog's breakfast. None of the fixtures or schedules have been updated for yonks. The table appears to be up to date, but it's a confusing shambles due to the discrepancy in matches played between the teams :wacko:

Rob Key leaving sky to be the managing director of England.

They've been going on for ages about being more test focused so it will be interesting to see what he does.

Edited by PB1994

Jos Buttler is in ridiculous form in the IPL. He came in to this year’s tournament with 2 career centuries in all T20 cricket. He’s just gone past 100 for the third time in his 7 innings so far this year.
 Best white ball bat on the planet at the moment. 
He's just an absolute monster in white ball cricket at the moment, some guys bat well in powerplay mode, others in the middle overs, Buttler just smacks everybody around the ground.

116 from 65 balls today, following on from 103 from 61 on Monday.

Ben Stokes is expected to be named as England’s new test match captain tomorrow, while it is also understood that Gary Kirsten is close to being appointed as the red ball head coach.

I don’t like the Stokes move, but I also can’t say who else it really should be. I hope he does well. 

North of the border, the domestic season gets underway this weekend. Exciting times. 

The never ending cycle of 'give it to the guy who we know we'll pick if fit' continues.
I wonder whether that's a decision that's at the request of, with the approval of, or completely devoid of any input from Gary Kirsten?
It certainly looks like putting the cart before the horse. Even if it is after discussing it with the new head coach, it would look a lot better if the coach was announced first.

Ben Stokes is expected to be named as England’s new test match captain tomorrow, while it is also understood that Gary Kirsten is close to being appointed as the red ball head coach.
I don’t like the Stokes move, but I also can’t say who else it really should be. I hope he does well. 

North of the border, the domestic season gets underway this weekend. Exciting times. 
Having seperate head coaches for red and white ball is a step in the right direction. The two formats are vastly different so makes sense to have coaches who specialize in each.

21 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

The never ending cycle of 'give it to the guy who we know we'll pick if fit' continues.

I wonder whether that's a decision that's at the request of, with the approval of, or completely devoid of any input from Gary Kirsten?

“Would you have Ben Stokes as captain?”

“Not sure about that”

“Thanks for your application, we’ll be in touch”

23 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Right.  Who is likely to start every test other than Stokes?  I think it’s a fair call.   Gary Kirsten seemingly missed out on the job last time by not using PowerPoint in his interview; it’s not really a surprising appointment and I’m okay with that too.  I think England missed a trick when they passed on Gillespie.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Right.  Who is likely to start every test other than Stokes?  I think it’s a fair call.   Gary Kirsten seemingly missed out on the job last time by not using PowerPoint in his interview; it’s not really a surprising appointment and I’m okay with that too.  I think England missed a trick when they passed on Gillespie.

I think it’s a fair call as well, but I also think there is a big chance it goes horribly wrong if he tries to take it all on himself. There are no other credible options, so really it had to be him. I just think that, ideally, it shouldn’t be him. England are in far from an ideal position, though. 

Wad at Test Match Special show last night in Edinburgh.

Aggers was excellent and Tuffers was good though he completely made up a story which I don't think is required when he has so much material available to him.

According to him he faced Merv Hughes at the Waca with Dickie Bird umpiring and had an anecdote about it.

Dickie never umpired an Australia v England Test or Odi on their soil.

He did umpire a legends game in 2007 in Perth however neither Hughes or Tufnell played.  

Just think when you have so much material blatantly making stuff up is a tad poor and not needed.