The Cricket Thread

bewlay

After getting to the final of group C without tasting defeat, Carlton lost out in qualification for the finals week after suffering their first defeat, to Italy’s Brescia CC. Carlton batted first, but the game was lost in the first couple of overs of Brescia’s reply, with Ali Evans bowling some utter shite, continually going to the short ball when it was screaming out for full, fast and straight.

A disappointing end to the week. 

1 hour ago, FuzzyBear said:

Horrendous news about Warne. Obviously a fantastic player but I really liked him as a commentator as well. 

Me too. His commentary was both informative and entertaining.

Absolutely dreadful news. A true legend in every sense of the word..

RIP :(

Half heard on the radio that he'd died but wasn't listening and thought they were talking about Rod Marsh but I was sure I'd heard Shane Warne's name. Totally shocked by this, he was one of my favorite players when I first got into the sport and then was one of my favourite commentators when I started watching more of the games on TV. I don't know how conscious he was but he seemed to take a Ritchie Benaud like approach, being funny without being over the top and adding a few insights about the field settings etc - like Benaud he was a great spinner but also a fantastic captain and he was one of the first to highlight to me the different tactical approaches that captains could take. Having him and Glenn McGrath must have been a dream for Ricky Ponting, not just because of their obvious class with the ball in hand but also for their tactical nous. He seemed so young at heart and still in decent nick so the shock hasn't quite subsided yet. RIP Warney.

Sad to hear about both Marsh and Warne, two genuine greats with Shane belonging in the very top pantheon. Clearly Warne's death is more of a shock given his age, but Marsh was one of my favourites in the great Aussie side in the 70s when I started following cricket - his brother Graham also being a world class sportsman as a golfer (my favourite sport at that time, along with football).

I smile every time I watch Shane's dismissal of Mike Gatting with his first delivery in test cricket in England. Gatting's expression is priceless, he can't actually believe it. 😁

Mentioned in dead pool thread but Fox cricket reporting Shane Warne dead at 52. A hard guy to warm to but an unbelievable cricketer. 
Hard to warm to?

Everything I've seen suggests he was a decent guy.

I also really liked his commentary. Very charismatic.

Shocked and saddened to learn of this yesterday, truly a great bowler and a fantastic competitor. An incredible 37 - 5 wicket hauls in his 145 Tests, converting ten of those games into 10 Wicket performances. Also scored over 3,000 test runs, including a dozen half centuries, not bad for a tail ender. Really enjoyed his commentary too, constructive, insightful, humorous and fair. Didn’t come across as taking himself too seriously despite his standing in the game. Sad loss to Cricket and sport in general.