The Cricket Thread

bewlay

7 minutes ago, Uniform11 said:

Thats the worst collapse of the series for me. 

So for the WIndies series, England need at least one opener (presumably Crawley will get a slot), a number three, Root stays at four, Stokes fitness at five?, possibly a new no 6 unless they persevere with Pope but Bairstow will probably stay, and question marks over the wicket keeper - presumably Billings now ahead of Foakes in the pecking order. Will Anderson and Broad be seen again? 

Crawley, Pope, Bairstow, Billings are not good enough like Burns, Malan, Hameed and Buttler.

Root at 4 and Stokes at 6 but need to find 4 others.

1 hour ago, deegee said:

Unbelievably bad by England. I went to bed at midnight thinking England could bat through the day/ evening and keep the match alive. Turned on the telly an hour or so ago and England were collapsing with not many more runs from when I’d went to bed but 6 wickets down. By the time I’d showered and had a quick shave, the whole lot of them were out. Think I heard the commentary saying it was 10 wickets for 56 runs!

I went away from the TV about half 9, think they were 4 down needing another 180 to win, and the commentator had just made the point that they had averaged about 21 per wicket for the entire series.

The Aussies are obviously a pretty formidable bowling lineup, but 21 per wicket is just shite batting.

5 minutes ago, FuzzyBear said:

Crawley, Pope, Bairstow, Billings are not good enough like Burns, Malan, Hameed and Buttler.

Root at 4 and Stokes at 6 but need to find 4 others.

I think Hameed is good enough, with the exception of when they are on bouncy tracks. I think he’ll do perfectly fine everywhere except Australia and South Africa, where his low hands out in front of him will get him in trouble. 

Big change is needed, though. I want to see Foakes in at WK. He justifies his place as a gloveman, if he only averages high 20s with the bat that’s fine. 

Opening, I’d go back to Sam Robson with Hameed. Robson has been a consistent performer at county level, I know he’s getting on in years, but he deserves another go. I’d then give either Josh Bohannon or Harry Brook a go at 3, and the other at 6, with Root and Stokes 4 & 5. 

Then we’re in to the bowlers. Chris Woakes shouldn’t play another test outside of England (except maybe New Zealand). Robinson needs to improve his fitness to last as test level, but there is promise there. Broad and Anderson are still performing, as is Mark Wood. I’d like to see Brydon Carse and Saqib Mahmood given chances going forward as well. On the spin front, Leach is nowhere near good enough. Of England are using spinners, I want to see it be Bess and Parkinson. If spin isn’t going to play much of a part, then Root is plenty good enough. 

12 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I went away from the TV about half 9, think they were 4 down needing another 180 to win, and the commentator had just made the point that they had averaged about 21 per wicket for the entire series.

The Aussies are obviously a pretty formidable bowling lineup, but 21 per wicket is just shite batting.

Watching some of England’s batting this whole series is more like watching some kids in a park lashing out at balls being bowled. I can’t accept the English squad haven’t the savvy to protect their middle order and either manage to bat out a few overs and force the bowlers to get frustrated or able to stick on 40-50 runs without an entire collapse.

Either way, this has been a shambles of a tour and goodness knows how they turn it around.

That was mental, even by England's lowly standards.

I was hillwalking today, checked the score when I parked up - 68/0.

First summit - 104/4

All out before I'd even got another mile 😂 What a shower of utter shitebags.

I've just seen the highlights as well. At least 4 of those dismissals are genuinely hilarious. Stokes's though was utterly criminal. All he had to do was stay in and build something with Root and he tried a total unnecessary hero shot. He should be absolutely hounded for that Pietersen-esque shite, and frankly has been living off that match saving ton since the home Ashes. Apart from that he's done nothing of note in 3 years other than punch out someone in a nightclub. Utterly overrated.

Ollie Robinson's dismissal though was magnificent, the sort you see from a tailender to Jay Dernbach in a 20/20 game. 

England batting collapses will never not be funny 😂

With the ball at times during the series they have still shown some good form in patches, particularly from Wood and to an extent Broad and Anderson   The latter two aren't getting any younger and they may have another year or two at most at this level but, there were still a few instances in this series where they had Australia rocking with 7 or 8 wickets down for about 200 runs but they had real problems dismissing the tail, with the likes of Starc, Cummings and Lyon regularly chipping in with a valuable 30 or 40 runs in these instances, that was where the lack of a front line spinner (Leach is nowhere near good enough at this level) and the injuries to Stokes, Robinson and Anderson came back to bite England on the arse, relying on an overworked Wood in particular. 

Their batting efforts are fucking abysmal though, hilariously bad, as bad as I can ever recall from any England side since the dark days of the 90's when Warne, McGrath and Gillespie would regularly skittle them out for 90 runs 

That's the perfect end to an utter binfire of a tour. English cricket is a hilariously bad shambles.

The bowling unit must be seething at the batters every single match. Imagine slogging your guts out for 20+ overs of quick bowling, limit the Aussies to not particularly huge totals, only to see the top order shit themselves and throw it all away every single match. I'd be fucking raging.

That's the perfect end to an utter binfire of a tour. English cricket is a hilariously bad shambles.

The bowling unit must be seething at the batters every single match. Imagine slogging your guts out for 20+ overs of quick bowling, limit the Aussies to not particularly huge totals, only to see the top order shit themselves and throw it all away every single match. I'd be fucking raging.
I don't mind the players having a bevvy to end the tour tbh. Kudos especially to the guys who still had their playing gear on, that's commitment.

Saw earlier that Thorpe is now being investigated as it's thought the police were called because he was smoking a cigar indoors.

24 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

I don't mind the players having a bevvy to end the tour tbh. Kudos especially to the guys who still had their playing gear on, that's commitment.

Saw earlier that Thorpe is now being investigated as it's thought the police were called because he was smoking a cigar indoors.

The players having a drink together is such a non-story. 

The fact that the video has got out from Thorpe’s phone is what should be the big story. 

11 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Matt Prior highlighting that it's not necessarily the best kids who make it through youth cricket, but more likely to he the ones whose parents can afford it

Age-group cricket pricing out talented children, says former England wicketkeeper Matt Prior - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/60071225

It’s not much better up here. The club I’m involved in are pretty cheap in fees (£40/year), but if they get in to the regional squad I’m sure it’s about £200 for the year. 

And we wonder why the game is dominated by those educated outwith the state system. 

A few ODIs today. Sri Lanka bowled Zimbabwe out for 70 after scoring 254-9.

Afghanistan beat the Netherlands by 36 runs, the Dutch all out after 48 overs chasing 226.

Most pleasing was South Africa chasing down 288 to beat India with 11 balls to spare. Malan and de Cock got them off to a good start, but Bavuma, Markram and van der Dussen saw them home, all scoring in the high 30s at just about a run a ball.