The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Rob, you seem to misunderstand,” says Andrew Hurley. “If Stokes contributed to winning some games with big centuries, and still only averages 36, that indicates quite clearly he contributed to losing many more games - granted, these low scores don’t make the headlines or stay in people’s memories, but he’s nowhere near a great batsman, not even a good one - good batsmen at 5/6 do not average 36.”

All runs aren’t equal, surely. If Stokes comes out at 400 for three and gets a duck, who cares. He has hot and cold periods - when he’s out of form he can look awful - but I don’t accept that you can judge him purelyon statistics. What’s next, quantifying orgasms? Sorry, my love, I’ll give you a hug in a minute but I just need to put that knee-trembler through the database.

I was up during the night with usual post nightshift insomnia. Saw most of the first session, with Root and Malan looking comfortable. Went back to bed at the dinner break, and wasn't surprised in the slightest to find that England were all out when I got up again after 10.

Once again so many poor shots leading to dismissals. They should be forced to watch tapes of Labuschagne, he's one of the best leavers of a ball I've seen for a while.

Wickets falling all over the place this morning with the Aussies finally declaring on 230/9, a lead of a mere 467. 

England of course lose one of their openers for 0, gloving a ball he shouldn't have gone near in a month of Sundays. England once again will be relying on heroics from Malan and Root. Without the latter they'd basically be Bangladesh levels of test performance.

Scoreboard pressure is going to be a significant factor, especially when one takes into account the touring side being a collective of (Root aside), absolute bottlers with bat in hand. 

Will this match make it to the final day ? Will England make it through the final session? Even if they do  I don't think there's anyone in the lineup who has the ability to drop anchor and stay there for any length of time, it's not about scoring runs ,  it's all about chalking the overs off 

If England are still batting when I get up tomorrow I'll be surprised. Any realistic hope of the urn well and truly gone after the 1st innings collapse, 4/5-0 incoming now. Really short of quality batting.

Edited by Scorge

If England are still batting when I get up tomorrow I'll be surprised. Any realistic hope of the urn well and truly gone after the 1st innings collapse, 4/5-0 incoming now. Really short of quality batting.

The scary part from an English point of view is that this was an Australian team with Cummins and Hazlewood missing, yet they still got ripped apart. It's not a recent thing, but the amount of times England's supposedly "proper" batsmen get out by nicking balls they should be leaving is ridiculous.

My alarm is set for 7.25, I fully expect it to be done and dusted long before then.