The Cricket Thread

bewlay

10 hours ago, The DA said:

Why are Yorkshire CC up in front of the Culture and Sport Committee this morning? 

Why is racism at a single sporting club/company being investigated by a Government body in this way?  It feels like this is outside their remit.

If it's not, could they investigate a few Scottish football clubs about their bigotry and financial shenanigans?  And when I say 'a few', I mean 'one'.

They have done similar things in the past,  looking at footballs handling of sexual abuse etc 

I’m not quite sure investigated is the correct word.  The committee have no power, they can’t put anyone in jail over this, their job is to look at problems and try and put together recommendations that try to prevent, or at least reduce the impact of similar incidents in future.

So yes, looking into a high profile case of apparent cultural racism is very much part of their remit. Especially when it appears the governing body of the those involved haven’t dealt with the issue appropriately.

18 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
47 minutes ago, PB1994 said:
So it turns out Azim Rafiq is just as bad as all the people he has called out.

Has he dismissed the tweets as "banter"?

No, he has apologised and said he never should have done it, so not quite as bad as some of the others.

Not been following this too much as I couldn’t give a shite about cricket (awful sport) but from what I can see on social media, Rafiq’s calling out of racism within cricket has upset all the gammons. How dare he speak out about racism and bring the game into disrepute! And now of course, with this blunder Rafiq has made, the gammons are now jumping all over that - calling him a hypocrite etc and continue to ignore the fact that cricket obviously has some deep rooted racism issues.

Bit of turmoil in the home camp with the Ashes just a few weeks away. Fully expecting the Aussies to be shameless enough to reinstate Smith as captain.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/australian-test-cricket-captain-tim-paine-quits-following-sexting-scandal/72914eda-c2ec-495c-949b-5eb9f0724e8f?s=09

Pat Cummins is vice captain and may well be promoted to skipper.

This doesn't make sense. The exchange was deemed consensual (i.e. not harassment), so why is he stepping down? Unless the enquiry at the time was a bit of a whitewash and the finding is being contested. 

Even if consensual, the behaviour certainly is not to be condoned given Paine's circumstances. And if he deemed his personal life failings to be behaviour not worthy of serving as the team captain, why did he see fit to continue just because no-one knew about it?

Edited by Michael W

This doesn't make sense. The exchange was deemed consensual (i.e. not harassment), so why is he stepping down? Unless the enquiry at the time was a bit of a whitewash and the finding is being contested. 
Even if consensual, the behaviour certainly is not to be condoned given Paine's circumstances. And if he deemed his personal life failings to be behaviour not worthy of serving as the team captain, why did he see fit to continue just because no-one knew about it?
Think it was all dealt with internally at the time and it's only now that it was going to be made public that he has decided to resign.