The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Well done to the Scotland national cricket team for winning their preliminarily group in the T20 World Cup in Oman, with dominant victories over Bangladesh, PNG and hosts Oman.

Deprived of almost any meaningful cricket for the last few years, left to beg for the crumbs from the table as the ICC awarded full member status to rivals Ireland and Afghanistan, scrabbling around trying (mostly in vain) to persuade nations touring England to deign to afford us occasional warm up matches, and getting the square root of bugger all from the England and Wales Cricket Board, which has consistently ignored bids for a Scottish franchise to compete in their lucrative T20 and The Hundred competitions, Scotland has done it the hard way, on its own, against all odds and the vested interests that monopolise top level cricket. Well done Scotland!
Edited by Frankie S

They had already sold tickets for the South Africa match at Edgbaston which has now been moved to Old Trafford. Lot of perfectly justified complaints from folk who had bought tickets for that just last week. Sometimes the ECB are their own worst enemies.

7 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

How did the likes of Afghanistan get automatic qualification for the final stage while Bangladesh and Sri Lanka had to go into the first round?

It was based on rankings. Top 10 qualified for the tournament, with the top 8 straight in to the super 12s. Afghanistan are a better T20 side than Sri Lanka.

Edited by die hard doonhamer

2 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

It was based on rankings. Top 10 qualified for the tournament, with the top 8 straight in to the super 12s. Afghanistan are a better T20 side than Sri Lanka.

I'm guessing Bangladesh have only moved up to 6th in the rankings since the cut off date. 

I saw that Scotland have also assured qualification for next year's tournament as well which is a bonus. 

15 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'm guessing Bangladesh have only moved up to 6th in the rankings since the cut off date. 

I saw that Scotland have also assured qualification for next year's tournament as well which is a bonus. 

Yes, the cut off date was 31st December 2018.