The Cricket Thread

bewlay

As far as has been reported, none of the India players have tested positive.

I don't understand this move - seems like a total overreaction. Can only assume they have opted against taking part due to close contact? But even then, we're dealing with professional athletes here who are tested repeatedly. Resulting cases amongst players would be caught quickly. 

Edited by Michael W

Not doubting that the covid cases are accurate but India haven't wanted to play a 5th test since the IPL got postponed. 
Absolutely this. The BBC reporting that the IPL, which starts in ten days, is worth £300m to the BCCI. No way they want to damage that revenue potentially by having star players not able to take part.

Shit situation, but can absolutely understand the players' viewpoint. I'd be pretty surprised if none of the players test positive over the coming days given that it was a physio that was the latest case.

On the actual result, I believe India should have to forfeit given they've been unable to field a team despite protocols allowing them to. A real crap way to not lose the series for England, but I struggle to see any other way out of it.

I am getting pretty buzzing for Finals Day on Saturday. Forecast is looking dry so hopefully stays that way.

This will be the first time I’ve ever actually gone to watch a game.

Hopefully will manage to get some tickets for one of the tests next summer, when they are available.

Gutted to hear that Michael Holding has switched off his microphone for the last time. Could listen to him talking all day, not just because of the accent, but because he was always on the money on just about everything. Hope he has a long and happy retirement.

Dread to think who Sky might replace him with.

Second T20 is underway at The Grange, Zimbabwe won the toss and chose to bat. They lost 3 early wickets but recovered to post 136/5, Sean Williams with an unbeaten 60. Michael Leask probably the pick of Scotland's bowlers.

Scotland won the first game on Wednesday, with the final match taking place on Sunday. It's great to see international cricket back in Scotland.

In other news, New Zealand gave abandoned their white ball tour of Pakistan due to security concerns. England are meant to be there in 3 weeks time, you struggle to see how that your goes ahead. A real shame, Pakistan has gone far too long without international cricket being held in their country, and hopefully this isn't the first sign of another long layoff.

A poor showing from Scotland's batters in the end. 4 down early before a great partnership between Richie Berrington and Matthew Cross dragged them back in to it, but after they went it was left to Micheal Leask to get Scotland over the line and he couldn't quite do it, with the last 4 wickets falling consecutively at the start of the last over with Scotland 10 runs short.

All to play for as the last game on Sunday is now a series decider. Hopefully the top order can find some runs in that one.

Moeen Ali retires from test cricket. He's had more chances than most but he also didn't play a lot when he probably should have. England suddenly looking very light heading into an away ashes with question marks still over Stokes then there is a gap at the all rounder mark.

Moeen Ali retires from test cricket. He's had more chances than most but he also didn't play a lot when he probably should have. England suddenly looking very light heading into an away ashes with question marks still over Stokes then there is a gap at the all rounder mark.
It's either going to be Woakes or Curran that will be asked to fit that role imo if Stokes is still unavailable by then.

Chris Woakes is England's best all rounder, tbf. Regardless of who is or isn't available.

I'm not surprised that Moeen has called it a day. He's been really poorly used over the last few years. 3rd in the list of England's all time wicket taking spinners. A very decent career.