The Cricket Thread

bewlay

23 hours ago, Tynierose said:

It's a dreadful form of the game as the ECB try and gain revenue from a new format they can patent as their own.

The rhetoric about enticing new fans is nonsense as if u don't like 20 50 or test cricket you aren't going to suddenly develop a like with this shitty format.

I hope its a massive flop and instead of playing 4 day cricket in the best of the weather and developing test match players we are playing this drivel.

A pox on their houses.

100% this.

People who love cricket love cricket because of what cricket is. This is like trying to get someone into Chess by forcing them to sit through a game of Draughts.

In reality, I bet the ECB knows this fine and well, but isn't remotely bothered about attracting new audiences. Attracting new revenue yes, but they honestly won't care if that's from new viewers or just existing cricket junkies looking for more cricket. This obsession with the fact that the County Championship brings in no revenue is ruining the England Test side. I said back in 2010 it was inevitable, because they'd finally figured out how to play the 20 and 50 over game, so from then on it was all they were going to worry about. No coincidence that the technique, mental application, and results of the Test side have gone down the shitter in the past 5-10 years.

There's really no excuse for it. India plays all formats at a high level. Ok, they are a huge cricket obsessed nation with a massive player pool, but success in the short format is clearly no bar to success in Test cricket, in fact, the Indian Test side was amateurish before the explosion of T20 and such. It's interesting how standards in fielding and athleticism in their Test side have risen along with the popularity of T20, yet they can still bat properly and post huge scores in the long format. 1st Class matches in India get crowds, but it's not like the stadia are packed to capacity on weekdays with every punter paying £20-£30 entry, so the ECB don't even have that excuse.

33 minutes ago, Left Back said:

The graphics in this 100 format are confusing as f**k.  I’m not sold tbh.

It's like a mid 90's rave has been vomited over the screen, ghastly.

(As for the game, it's no worse than any of the other hit-and-shit corporate leagues, TBF.)

Have they just ditched the t20 blast then?

Surely to f**k you stick with the traditions of the game (keep the counties) - but add in a short version (not two separate ones) and organise it accordingly. Jazzy new strips for the short version is fine, it's like having a football away kit. More folk would turn up to the short games at night, but if they got into it they'd also support their team in the longer format.

Squads would have to be balanced to compete in both, and each side would have to have a women's team of equal stature.

Less of the shitey spangly rebranding - and just focus solely on the experience of the fan, and what's best for the game in general. Think long term, rather than gimmicky short term.

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Have they just ditched the t20 blast then?

Surely to f**k you stick with the traditions of the game (keep the counties) - but add in a short version (not two separate ones) and organise it accordingly. Jazzy new strips for the short version is fine, it's like having a football away kit. More folk would turn up to the short games at night, but if they got into it they'd also support their team in the longer format.

Squads would have to be balanced to compete in both, and each side would have to have a women's team of equal stature.

Less of the shitey spangly rebranding - and just focus solely on the experience of the fan, and what's best for the game in general. Think long term, rather than gimmicky short term.

Nope, the blast is still happening, that's just finished the group stage, knock out stage is after this shit show finishes.

The RL One Day cup is the big loser, as it is being played alongside the hundred. I don't think that's acceptable.

On a positive note, for us Scots, George Munsey scored a fine 96 for Kent against Durham in the one day cup today. It was ultimately in vain though, as they lost by 103 runs.

Nope, the blast is still happening, that's just finished the group stage, knock out stage is after this shit show finishes.
The RL One Day cup is the big loser, as it is being played alongside the hundred. I don't think that's acceptable.
On a positive note, for us Scots, George Munsey scored a fine 96 for Kent against Durham in the one day cup today. It was ultimately in vain though, as they lost by 103 runs.
That's insane.

Are the blast teams the same as the county and the one day cup? At least that all makes sense.

This new thing is just a giant gimmick.

22 hours ago, Left Back said:

That’s 3 matches of the 100 I’ve struggled through now and it’s still really pish.  Dunno if the pitches are too bowler friendly but there’s no entertainment.

I’m not seeing what this format brings that is any different from t20. The play clock or cut off time is a good addition but that could easily be added into the blast along with all the fireworks and DJs if that’s what they want to see.

Once all the England players bugger off to play the India tests I can see a lot of the interest dropping.

I’m not seeing what this format brings that is any different from t20. The play clock or cut off time is a good addition but that could easily be added into the blast along with all the fireworks and DJs if that’s what they want to see.
Once all the England players bugger off to play the India tests I can see a lot of the interest dropping.
The only benefit I can see is the fact that so many games have been free to watch, either on BBC or Sky Sports Mix.

Also a fan of the play clock idea, helps stop the slow over rates which are now creeping in to T20.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

The only benefit I can see is the fact that so many games have been free to watch, either on BBC or Sky Sports Mix.

Also a fan of the play clock idea, helps stop the slow over rates which are now creeping in to T20.

Yeah, that’s a good point. It is also good for the woman’s game having them as double headers. Maybe not so much during the week as they seem to be getting played in the afternoon when everyone is at work.

14 hours ago, peasy23 said:

They used to have a clock in T20 when it first started..  You were penalised 6 runs per over for not getting them in on time.  75 minutes iirc.  When the IPL started it didn’t have a clock and 5he whole idea seemed to get binned about then.

It's definitely grown on me but still has the feel of a Saturday night gameshow about it. There isn't the same sense of jeopardy, does anybody really care about the outcome? Having a pick and mix of players from the 18 counties doesn't help.

12 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Get The Hundred into the fucking sea. Real cricket is almost back upon us, and  here he comes, the king of the fucking  world.

1008459678_kohlilaughing.jpeg.cd668b234621369ba41f65b32d3f1ba0.jpeg

Averages less than 25 in tests since his last international century, in November 2019. A man under pressure to find form, imo.

8 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Averages less than 25 in tests since his last international century, in November 2019. A man under pressure to find form, imo.

Double century incoming. He wouldn't know pressure if it bit him on his wonderful arse.