The Cricket Thread

bewlay

7 hours ago, jaggyness said:

Am I the only one failing to see what about James Bracey's performances justify international selection? I understand that the 2 definitely ahead of him (and on his test showing so far I'd have him behind Bairstow as well) but there's surely someone better out there? Billings is on the field as a sub, he must be worth a shot in red ball ahead of Bracey?

He's there purely by accident. He's the fourth choice wicket keeper, who is about the squad because he's viewed as a top order prospect (he hasn't shown why that is, though).

Burns and Lawrence did ok in the first innings. The rest of them have been a disgrace. It's only by lack of options that a few are keeping their place. The sooner this OTT rotation policy ends the better.

5 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Doesn't seem as if there's a huge queue of folk to sort out the top 6. Stokes will come back but I don't think Buttler is any higher than a 7 at Test level.

I'd have agreed with this about a year ago, but Buttler probably justifies being at 6 these days. I also think that Lawrence has shown a few times now that he is quite good at batting with the tail, so I like him at 7. If they could exchange 3 number 8s for a 3, that'd be great.

I've joked about Chris Woakes opening the batting before, but at this point in starting to think that it might actually be worth a shot. Grim.

I'd have agreed with this about a year ago, but Buttler probably justifies being at 6 these days. I also think that Lawrence has shown a few times now that he is quite good at batting with the tail, so I like him at 7. If they could exchange 3 number 8s for a 3, that'd be great.
I've joked about Chris Woakes opening the batting before, but at this point in starting to think that it might actually be worth a shot. Grim.
Burns is inconsistent but at least looks like an opening test batsman. Stokes at 3 isn't really playing to his strength as what they need is batsmen who can see off the new ball before Root and whoever they get at 3 come in. Some serious conundrums to sort out this summer though in terms of line up. Buttler, Root and Stokes are the only undroppables though.

13 minutes ago, jaggyness said:
34 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Burns is inconsistent but at least looks like an opening test batsman. Stokes at 3 isn't really playing to his strength as what they need is batsmen who can see off the new ball before Root and whoever they get at 3 come in. Some serious conundrums to sort out this summer though in terms of line up. Buttler, Root and Stokes are the only undroppables though.

Yep, I'd expect we'll see Burns opening with Hameed at some point during the India series. 3 is the big problem position, as it has been since probably Trott retired. Maybe Bracey deserves a shot up there when he's not got to worry about having the gloves as well, but I'm not convinced, 3 very poor dismissals from him so far. I a think 4-7 Root, Stokes, Buttler and Lawrence picks itself at the moment.

Stone went first ball of the day leaving the Kiwis a run chase of 38. Conway failed for once edging broad to Bracey for 3, but his 306 runs probably makes him player of the series. He is only the 10th player to score 300 plus in their first 2 test matches.

My XI for the India Tests (assuming the ECB will send the word to reciprocate with alactrity the doctored pitches the BCCI decreed & they will be greentop seamers).

Burns

Hameed

Pope

Root c

Stokes

Lawrence

Buttler wk

Woakes ( or Curran, S)

Wood (or Stone)

Broad ( or Parkinson)

Anderson (or Parkinson)

12 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

We're not still mewling about the pitches in India are we? Good grief.

No just take every oppurtunity to have a dig at the BCC of the ICC. Hope that Hampshire have prepared a green seamer to wind up Kohli, even though it will equally suit Bumrah, Shami, Siraj & Sharma as much as the Kiwi bowlers it will weaken their tail if they can't pick Ashwin & Jadeja

3 hours ago, Perkin Flump said:

My XI for the India Tests (assuming the ECB will send the word to reciprocate with alactrity the doctored pitches the BCCI decreed & they will be greentop seamers).

Burns

Hameed

Pope

Root c

Stokes

Lawrence

Buttler wk

Woakes ( or Curran, S)

Wood (or Stone)

Broad ( or Parkinson)

Anderson (or Parkinson)

I don't think Pope has the temperament to bat 3. I thought that that was his spot long term, but I'm less and less convinced by that now. I don't know what the answer is there, but I don't think it's him.

I can't see England dropping Sibley and Crawley for the first India test. I think we will probably see Crawley remaining at 3 as one last chance, possibly with Hameed joining Burns in opening. There just isn't the depth at county level. Most of the leading run scorers this season have first class averages in the 30s

1 hour ago, jaggyness said:

I can't see England dropping Sibley and Crawley for the first India test. I think we will probably see Crawley remaining at 3 as one last chance, possibly with Hameed joining Burns in opening. There just isn't the depth at county level. Most of the leading run scorers this season have first class averages in the 30s

I think you're probably right. I fully expect Hameed to play at some point during the series, if not the first test.

2 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I don't think Pope has the temperament to bat 3. I thought that that was his spot long term, but I'm less and less convinced by that now. I don't know what the answer is there, but I don't think it's him.

He's there because I don't have the answer either, if it comes off for him to a degree at least he will rattle up.50 or 60 quick runs.