The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Now, remember the criticism, myself included, about Aggers complaining about the quality of the pitches prepared? Between that and the umpiring this is getting a bit silly. Which is a shame as India are a top side and England could become one. The decision to pick one front line spinner looks more wrong with every over.

What sort of approach should England go for when they come in to bat? Treat it like a normal test or try and batter the ball about a bit to get some quick runs?

Either way I can see them being bowled out by the end of today.

What sort of approach should England go for when they come in to bat? Treat it like a normal test or try and batter the ball about a bit to get some quick runs?
Either way I can see them being bowled out by the end of today.
Time is an irrelevance so runs is the key. If they could somehow get 200+ they have a chance assuming this last wicket partnership doesn't slog too many. On that basis get out there and play your shots.

40 minutes ago, Perkin Flump said:

FTFY.

This is why Root should bowl himself more often, he is a better spinner than he thinks. This could be over today as I can't see England lasting long.

Absolutely right.  As much as I hate the flat tracks that absolutely kill test matches, pitches like this do nothing for the game either. 

13 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Absolutely right.  As much as I hate the flat tracks that absolutely kill test matches, pitches like this do nothing for the game either. 

Always seems to be the way in India, for years their pitches were roads, now they are rank turners. They can't seem to get the balance right for an even contest between bat & ball, expecting Ashwin & Axar to open the bowling.

7 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

5-8. That's just fuckin ridiculous

He got 5-1 against us in a Roses one dayer a few years back if I recall correctly.

ETA It was actually 4-5 in the County Championship but he was 4-1 at one point.

Edited by Perkin Flump

He got 5-1 against us in a Roses one dayer a few years back if I recall correctly.
ETA It was actually 4-5 in the County Championship but he was 4-1 at one point.
Yeah they said that's his first ever five wicket haul. And first England captain to take 5 wickets since Bob Willis in 1983!

England should mix up the order here, get all the good players of spin up the top.

Crawley, Bairstow, Foakes, Root, Stokes, Pope, Sibley top 7.

And Root underrates himself massively with the ball. I've said it before, but he should bowl more in general. Second innings he and Leach should open the bowling.