The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Kohli is a horrible, unsporting c**t. Yes, he is a genuinely great batsman, but even then he thinks he's even better. His behaviour in the field is disgraceful at times, and he's also a huge hypocrite as he likes to call others out on stuff not half as bad. He's just an all round c**t.
If you can be bothered can you put up a link or two showing his dickishness?

After supporting them against India I want a reason to change sides before February, as i generally quite like the English cricket team.

51 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

If you can be bothered can you put up a link or two showing his dickishness?

After supporting them against India I want a reason to change sides before February, as i generally quite like the English cricket team.

Not a great article first up, but giving dissent to umpires isn't on, even more so when they're making correct decisions while he burns through his DRS reviews

https://sportscafe.in/cricket/articles/2020/jan/14/twitter-reacts-as-virat-kohli-argues-with-the-umpire-about-a-lbw-decision

Shouting "2" while fielding to try and create a runout chance

https://crickettimes.com/2020/03/nz-vs-ind-umpire-warns-virat-kohli-and-co-for-using-deceitful-tactics-on-day-2-of-second-test/

The lack of respect for officials and opposition is the common theme, and it really pisses me off. There are more incidents, but those two were found very quickly.

One change for England for the second test starting tomorrow, with Anderson in for Broad. Thought Wood would have dropped out, tbh.
Me too, quite a few pundits also thought the same as Wood doesn't seem to be able to play too many matches without injuring himself.

9 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

The first thing that I thought about this is that Wood won't be a first pick when they get to India and they aren't too worried about burning him out in Sri Lanka

They've rested him for the first 2 tests in India, which makes sense with Jofra back. They've also rested Bairstow and Curran though, which doesn't make as much sense (even though I'm not sure either would play).

They've rested him for the first 2 tests in India, which makes sense with Jofra back. They've also rested Bairstow and Curran though, which doesn't make as much sense (even though I'm not sure either would play).
Buttler is only playing the first test in India, meaning one of Foakes, Bracey or Pope don the gloves for the second test.

A bit off topic I know!

A number of years ago I sent a file of final tables to the Western Union for their archives but didn't even receive a reply.

I recently came across them again so if anyone is interested they can be viewed at the SFHA (!), HERE

Edited by sfha

15 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Sri Lanka finish on 381 all out, Curran picking up the last. It's the first time since 1994 that all 10 wickets have fallen to seamers in Sri Lanka, the first ever at Galle.

Great effort from Anderson.  Pitiful effort from the spinner.

In all my years watching England the genuine only top class spinner they have had was reprehensible shitebag Swann

Notable mention to the king of Spain for holding up an end but other than that just no.

21 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Great effort from Anderson.  Pitiful effort from the spinner.

In all my years watching England the genuine only top class spinner they have had was reprehensible shitebag Swann

Notable mention to the king of Spain for holding up an end but other than that just no.

Yep, not a good spinner in sight. The captaincy, particularly towards the end of the innings, was poor as well. No real effort to build pressure on Perera.

Sibley out early to the left arm spinner, yet again. He went without scoring, 4-1.

2 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Yep, not a good spinner in sight. The captaincy, particularly towards the end of the innings, was poor as well. No real effort to build pressure on Perera.

Sibley out early to the left arm spinner, yet again. He went without scoring, 4-1.

Would be as well letting Jimmy bowl spin in India with Root other end.   Yes, Root didn't do much captaincy wise earlier.   Just saw your comments regardng Kohli, I completely agree, a total p***k of a boy.

James Anderson becomes the oldest paceman to take 5 wickets in an innings in Asia. He has 6, Wood 3. Sri Lanka currently on 375-9. Frustrating stuff for England.
This might be the most amazing stat of the day though.

England have two problems with spin. Their bowlers aren't good enough and they don't have enough batsmen who know how to play against it.

10 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

This might be the most amazing stat of the day though.

England have two problems with spin. Their bowlers aren't good enough and they don't have enough batsmen who know how to play against it.

I only agree in part with the batsmen can't play it. The openers struggle, but the middle order are all actually pretty good against spin.

Edited by die hard doonhamer

I only agree in part with the batsmen can't play it. The openers struggle, but the middle order are all actually pretty good against spin.
Which was why I qualified it with "don't have enough".

Sibley's jacket must be heading for shoogly peg territory.

Given that burns is almost a given to come back in at the top in India it goes back to the old problem of who plays at 3 given Bairstow isn't going for the first two tests. Means you probably have to play someone out of position, likely Pope or Lawrence. And yes I know they both have batted high for their counties but India in India is totally different

10 minutes ago, jaggyness said:
17 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Given that burns is almost a given to come back in at the top in India it goes back to the old problem of who plays at 3 given Bairstow isn't going for the first two tests. Means you probably have to play someone out of position, likely Pope or Lawrence. And yes I know they both have batted high for their counties but India in India is totally different

Pope is also out for the first 2 tests. I think Crawley will drop to 3 and they'll both retain their place.

Pope is also out for the first 2 tests. I think Crawley will drop to 3 and they'll both retain their place.
Fair enough, I didn't check back before posting was just posting from memory.
The only thing about about dropping Crawley to 3 is, given the weakness in his game against spin England could very quickly find themselves with Root and Stokes at the crease early in the innings

Not a great article first up, but giving dissent to umpires isn't on, even more so when they're making correct decisions while he burns through his DRS reviews
https://sportscafe.in/cricket/articles/2020/jan/14/twitter-reacts-as-virat-kohli-argues-with-the-umpire-about-a-lbw-decision
Shouting "2" while fielding to try and create a runout chance
https://crickettimes.com/2020/03/nz-vs-ind-umpire-warns-virat-kohli-and-co-for-using-deceitful-tactics-on-day-2-of-second-test/
The lack of respect for officials and opposition is the common theme, and it really pisses me off. There are more incidents, but those two were found very quickly.
Having just caught up with these, I've got to say this is small potatoes.

Considering what the aussies get up to I'll give kohli the benefit of the doubt for now.