The Cricket Thread

bewlay

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

So, predictions for England innings.

Slow, sludgey start, then a big collapse, before a recovery to 290.

I actually fancy it'll just be the big collapse. Depends how the Pakistani spinners get on.

England bring up 200 through a glorious sweep shot by Jimmy Anderson. Archer added a useful 16 while Broad has flashed his bat at a few for his 16. Some highly questionable runnung though with a few near misses for run outs.

Interesting day ahead today, have Pakistan got enough on the board already, if they can add another 30 perhaps leaving England 275 to win? Fascinating stuff.

In other news, Michael Vaughan doesn’t think Archer is the speed demon he is ‘cracked up’ to be!?

'Archer bowled five overs like Gus Fraser'

Former England captain Michael Vaughan: "The fact England had to turn to Ben Stokes exposed a couple of England's bowlers - I think it certainly exposed Jofra Archer.

"Archer bowled five overs of what I'd call Gus Fraser, no disrespect. He was bowling 82mph, pitched-up bowling. I don't think Archer is in the team to deliver that style of bowling.

"Throughout this summer he is averaging 85mph with the ball in hand and maybe he isn't that quick, quick bowler we thought he was.

"Maybe England have to assess his style of bowler and what he's delivering on a consistent basis more than we thought he was going to be.

"All this talk of 90mph and it's going to be fizzing past the batsman's noses on a regular basis, maybe he can't bowl like that."

Is it more a case of Archer knowing exactly where and when to hit the deck hard and bowl flat out on a responsive pitch!? [emoji848]

Is it more a case of Archer knowing exactly where and when to hit the deck hard and bowl flat out on responsive pitch!? [emoji848]

I thought it was exactly this. Plus he'll have seen the wear and tear that other English 90mph bowlers have done, see Wood and Mills. He's playing in all formats and when he bowls at speed he's likely limited to 4 or 5 over bursts. No point ruining yourself on pitches that won't respond to that speed. If he goes on ashes tour and doesn't up the speeds then he won't be playing as there's already Woakes, Anderson and Broad that can do that

Interesting day ahead today, have Pakistan got enough on the board already, if they can add another 30 perhaps leaving England 275 to win? Fascinating stuff.

In other news, Michael Vaughan doesn’t think Archer is the speed demon he is ‘cracked up’ to be!?

'Archer bowled five overs like Gus Fraser'

Former England captain Michael Vaughan: "The fact England had to turn to Ben Stokes exposed a couple of England's bowlers - I think it certainly exposed Jofra Archer.

"Archer bowled five overs of what I'd call Gus Fraser, no disrespect. He was bowling 82mph, pitched-up bowling. I don't think Archer is in the team to deliver that style of bowling.

"Throughout this summer he is averaging 85mph with the ball in hand and maybe he isn't that quick, quick bowler we thought he was.

"Maybe England have to assess his style of bowler and what he's delivering on a consistent basis more than we thought he was going to be.

"All this talk of 90mph and it's going to be fizzing past the batsman's noses on a regular basis, maybe he can't bowl like that."

Is it more a case of Archer knowing exactly where and when to hit the deck hard and bowl flat out on a responsive pitch!? [emoji848]

I can agree with parts of what Vaughan is saying. If the pitches don't suit Archer, why play him? If he can only bowl 4 or 5 over bursts flat out then that's what he should be doing imo, if not, then in conditions like Manchester has had this week, you would be as well playing Sam Curran who would at least get a bit of swing.

Someone has to get hold of Burns in the nets to sort that out. He’s coming so far over to his off stick he’s almost off balance before the bowler hits his delivery stride, there’s no way he can adjust himself to a quick in-swinger, his technique offers every chance of being trapped leg before.

This is an absolutely fantastic contest.  Yet again showcasing why good test match cricket is always the pinnacle.

Some decison to give Sibley out mind you.   I don't want to jinx it but Root is looking in good nick here.

As much as I like Burns determination he has too many moving parts to be a long term successful opening bat.

Edited by Tynierose