The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Missed this first time round, but a really worthwhile watch for those who also didn’t catch it?

https://www.theedgefilm.com

The Edge Film documenting England’s pursuit of the top spot in the World Rankings under the leadership of Head Coach Andy Flowers and the Captaincy of Andrew Strauss (2009-2013). Particular focus on the strains of Test Cricket on Mental Health & Well Being, with insights from Jonathon Trott and Kevin Pieterson amongst others.

Fascinating stuff!

ETA, found it on the BBC (2) iPlayer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000lhvt

3 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Jonathan Trott appointed as batting consultant for the test series against Pakistan.

It seems like they are going with a series of short term appointments, rather than one permanent batting coach.  Graham Thorpe is one of my favourite ever players, but he quite clearly can’t coach his way out of a paper bag.  For a while Darren Gough was the bowling consultant...

1 hour ago, Clockwork said:

Might be interesting to hear his take on how to play short, fast left arm over!!??emoji15.png

The best coaches aren’t always the ones who had a natural gift.  In many ways the guys who had to fight every delivery in order to make it as far as they did have more empathy and understanding of what is needed.  I think he’ll be a good appointment.

The best coaches aren’t always the ones who had a natural gift.  In many ways the guys who had to fight every delivery in order to make it as far as they did have more empathy and understanding of what is needed.  I think he’ll be a good appointment.

Agreed, no question about that, Trott displayed both the natural talent and hard graft to become one of the best English batsmen of a generation.
Was it the pressure of maintaining that position however, that trapped him inside ‘the bubble’ (he created himself, to block out all distractions, his words) or that a flaw in his technique was ruthlessly exposed by Mitchell Johnson to the point where his game was summarily dismantled. At some point as a ‘batting consultant’ Trott will be forced to confront and overcome the same issue with another player? He will certainly have a wealth of experience to draw upon.

Missed this first time round, but a really worthwhile watch for those who also didn’t catch it?

The Edge Film documenting England’s pursuit of the top spot in the World Rankings under the leadership of Head Coach Andy Flowers and the Captaincy of Andrew Strauss (2009-2013). Particular focus on the strains of Test Cricket on Mental Health & Well Being, with insights from Jonathon Trott and Kevin Pieterson amongst others.
Fascinating stuff!

Watched it last night, the way England managed the mental health of the squad was bordering on negligence.

1 hour ago, jaggyness said:

Been a really poor series for Roy. I know the selectors like him but he must have a few question marks over continued selection once everyone is available again

He's got a good while yet before he gets dropped, IMO. Averaged 63 in the world cup last year. If he has another poor series assist Australia (which looks like going ahead), then maybe. 

England currently on 232-7 after a ton from Morgan and half century from Banton. 13 overs left. A pretty underwhelming show from a lot of players though.

He's got a good while yet before he gets dropped, IMO. Averaged 63 in the world cup last year. If he has another poor series assist Australia (which looks like going ahead), then maybe. 
England currently on 232-7 after a ton from Morgan and half century from Banton. 13 overs left. A pretty underwhelming show from a lot of players though.
I like Moeen, but he did himself no favours today. Vince another performing way below par. Roy has enough credit from last year to keep him safe, but he'll need to find some form soon, Bairstow was terrific on Saturday but 1 good knock every 3 games isn't great either. Morgan is phenomenal in this format.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:
3 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I like Moeen, but he did himself no favours today. Vince another performing way below par. Roy has enough credit from last year to keep him safe, but he'll need to find some form soon, Bairstow was terrific on Saturday but 1 good knock every 3 games isn't great either. Morgan is phenomenal in this format.

Indeed.

It's got to be remembered that this team is missing 5 or 6 nailed on players in Root, Stokes, Buttler, Woakes, Archer and Wood. I don't think any of the fringe lot have done enough against a weak test nation to force their way in ahead of any of those.

Ireland currently 145-1 from 23.1 and going very nicely.

Indeed.
It's got to be remembered that this team is missing 5 or 6 nailed on players in Root, Stokes, Buttler, Woakes, Archer and Wood. I don't think any of the fringe lot have done enough against a weak test nation to force their way in ahead of any of those.
Ireland currently 145-1 from 23.1 and going very nicely.
Yep, those 6 are straight back in the team based on these 3 games.

3 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Looking forward to this. I expect Pakistan to show a bit more willingness to graft than the Windies.

Even in this brief inning so far, Babar looks a class above any of the West Indies batsmen.  

On 03/08/2020 at 09:57, Clockwork said:

Fascinating stuff!

Cheers for the heads up on this. Watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I wish though they delved into the alleged bullying culture a bit more. It was quite telling at the end when Trott said he missed KP, Bell, Cook & Strauss and that was it.