The Cricket Thread

bewlay

6 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

On the rationale that they were going to only play the bowlers in 2 of the 3 matches max, would they not be as well to give Stokes a rest?

They could always drop Crawley and put Stokes to 3 as batsman only.  He has done it before.  Would allow Anderson Archer and Wood back in at expense of Curran Woakes.   Broad has to play.  I'd keep Woakes also and leave out either Archer or Wood.

They could always drop Crawley and put Stokes to 3 as batsman only.  He has done it before.  Would allow Anderson Archer and Wood back in at expense of Curran Woakes.   Broad has to play.  I'd keep Woakes also and leave out either Archer or Wood.
I can understand why they want Stokes to play, they are a much poorer team without him. But why risk making his injury worse?

Just now, peasy23 said:
4 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

I can understand why they want Stokes to play, they are a much poorer team without him. But why risk making his injury worse?

I think he now has such an influence on the team that even as only a batsman he is still paramount to any success.

40 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
45 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Its likely only a niggle that could be aggravated by his bowling then he walks into the team as a batsman alone. 

Leave him at 5 though. The whole batting line up should be shaped to get the most out of Stokes\Root. Hell I'd drop in Denley at 3 as a captain to take the pressure off Root and get the most out of his batting. England and Australia tend to be too keen to pick their best batsman as captain and see how it goes. Steve "the freak" Smith can do it as can Kohli. But lots buckle under the pressure.

11 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Its likely only a niggle that could be aggravated by his bowling then he walks into the team as a batsman alone. 

Leave him at 5 though. The whole batting line up should be shaped to get the most out of Stokes\Root. Hell I'd drop in Denley at 3 as a captain to take the pressure off Root and get the most out of his batting. England and Australia tend to be too keen to pick their best batsman as captain and see how it goes. Steve "the freak" Smith can do it as can Kohli. But lots buckle under the pressure.

The forecast down here for Saturday and Sunday is not looking too clever so a result is unlikely. Stokes is the Number 3 ranked batsman in the rankings so play him in his usual position & tell him to forget about bowling. Anderson, Broad, Archer and Woakes with Root being reminded that he is a deceptively decent option and forced to take the ball will be the best options.

So windies put England in to bat. England recall archer and Jimmy at the expense of Crawley and Curran. Four seamers and bess. That's quite a long tail England have. Would have really liked to see foakes in for Buttler.

1 hour ago, jaggyness said:

So windies put England in to bat. England recall archer and Jimmy at the expense of Crawley and Curran. Four seamers and bess. That's quite a long tail England have. Would have really liked to see foakes in for Buttler.

Everyone in the England team from Root down is one too high.  Not quite what I’d have done with the team; thought the balance was fine but clearly Stokes won’t be bowling.    I think Archer is lucky to have his place, and Curran very unlucky to miss out.  As is Crawley.  Odd selection.  That said, West Indies are a bowler short already, and two spinners seems overkill.

Everyone in the England team from Root down is one too high.  Not quite what I’d have done with the team; thought the balance was fine but clearly Stokes won’t be bowling.    I think Archer is lucky to have his place, and Curran very unlucky to miss out.  As is Crawley.  Odd selection.  That said, West Indies are a bowler short already, and two spinners seems overkill.
If they are genuinely building an ashes team for next year, Curran in Australia is pointless with the ball so I can see it from that point. But for winning this series? Not sure about it at all. Plus if you need/want 4 seamers then Root can be your spinner if required for this test

2 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

The elephant in the room is that if they're serious about winning in Oz it should have been "thanks for everything Jimmy but that's you done" at the end of last summer. 

I would tend to agree with you but Jimmy or no Jimmy this England team have no chance of regaining the Ashes in Oz.

Stokes bowled by roach - didn't see that coming.

All on Rory burns to be the steady batsman for England here, as the rest are more attack minded - and very inconsistent.

He could be the hero, or they could be all out for 150-180.

I really do think he is a class act.  Reminds me a bit of Bell but better.
Should be around for the next 15 years hopefully.
Cracking innings today from Pope when his team needed it, Buttler cutting loose a bit too which is piling the pressure on the bowlers.

Fair play to Pope and Buttler, England really should be getting 350+ from here, even with really just the tail to come from here. Seeing off the new ball tonight and even with the forecast they will be in with a chance of winning

34 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Fair play to Pope and Buttler, England really should be getting 350+ from here, even with really just the tail to come from here. Seeing off the new ball tonight and even with the forecast they will be in with a chance of winning

This test feels very similar to the last one, in that England look like they’ve got an extra gear while the West Indies bowlers look a little empty.