The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Fair play to them. Showed bottle after a dodgy start to the innings.
It was a really entertaining match. I thought England had it after archer ripped into the top of the order this morning - but they settled it all down well.

Did England get another new ball this afternoon, or did they not get to that stage? Chat earlier was that it was a new ball pitch.

13 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

It was a really entertaining match. I thought England had it after archer ripped into the top of the order this morning - but they settled it all down well.

Did England get another new ball this afternoon, or did they not get to that stage? Chat earlier was that it was a new ball pitch.

Terrific test match.  A good test match is probably my favourite single sporting event.  West Indies are no mugs.

Never in doubt after the partnership between Chase and Blackwood. This is far from a great Windies side as well but they're definitely heading in the right direction. Not sure you can say the same about England. Sibley, Denly and Buttler all on extremely shoogly pegs.  I'd be bringing back Broad for Wood in the next test as well. A great test match from start to finish.

Think England misread the pitch, picked the wrong attack and made the wrong decision at the toss. Windies bowled very well and their batting is stronger than I thought it was. Is Campbell out for the next test if his toe is broken but was able to bat today?

I'd really like to see Foakes come in as well, in red ball cricket Buttler seems to be one of these guys who smashes it around when it's 350-5 but gets nothing when it matters.

Longer term I'd like to see the Windies have a properly good test team again rather than just have a bunch of T20 biffers. Wild to think they haven't won in England for 32 years, England did really well to draw the 1991 and 1995 series.

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

I'd really like to see Foakes come in as well, in red ball cricket Buttler seems to be one of these guys who smashes it around when it's 350-5 but gets nothing when it matters.

Longer term I'd like to see the Windies have a properly good test team again rather than just have a bunch of T20 biffers. Wild to think they haven't won in England for 32 years, England did really well to draw the 1991 and 1995 series.

Ed Smith has a bit of a metaphorical rod-on for the Buttler, so he ain't getting dropped. Broad/Wood and Root/Denly is probably as far as changes will go, can't imagine the hoo-hah if Jimmy Jimmy doesn't get to bowl from his own end.

Really good match. Arguable that isn't even the strongest Windies test batting line up what with Hetmyer and Bravo not there, either. Hope the OT pitch is a bit of a turner and we get to see the mighty Cornwall in one of the two games.

Edited by Scorge

To the surprise of absolutely no one it has been announced joe denly will miss out for the returning Joe Root
But no mention if Broad will return, although they are probably hedging their bets until they get a look at the pitch. Not that they made the right choice after last week's viewing.

But no mention if Broad will return, although they are probably hedging their bets until they get a look at the pitch. Not that they made the right choice after last week's viewing.
They will be waiting but it's unlikely that every bowler will play every test this summer so there'll be an element of rotation anyway I'd imagine. Plus the 3 seamers they picked for Southampton have all had pretty poor injury records lately, and in Wood's case, for their career.

Kookaburra have built a “smart cricket ball” so your claims to be bowling 80 mph in your local park league can be exposed as the blatant lies they are.

It could also mean that umpires at non televised games might be able to get the equivalent of the snickometer on their phone by Bluetooth

They will be waiting but it's unlikely that every bowler will play every test this summer so there'll be an element of rotation anyway I'd imagine. Plus the 3 seamers they picked for Southampton have all had pretty poor injury records lately, and in Wood's case, for their career.
And now announced wood and Anderson been rested for 2nd test. Broad you would imagine be straight back in so likely comes down to a choice between parkinson or Curran.

And now announced wood and Anderson been rested for 2nd test. Broad you would imagine be straight back in so likely comes down to a choice between parkinson or Curran.
Is woakes not ahead of those two?

I'd expect him to come in with broad, to join archer.

46 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Wonder if they'll bring Wood straight back in, or are the guys not in the squad released from the bubble? 

I have no idea why Anderson has been ‘rested’.  Why not have him and Broad opening the bowling together, given that they are the best two bowlers England have?  Seemingly Archer won’t be replaced for this test.

1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:

'I wish to apologise to all those in the bio secure bubble' are words you never thought you would hear from a sportsman. 

Hopefully it was a  full on Cameron hlHouse type escapade rather than a minor breach. 

11 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I have no idea why Anderson has been ‘rested’.  Why not have him and Broad opening the bowling together, given that they are the best two bowlers England have?  Seemingly Archer won’t be replaced for this test.

Anderson hasn't played much cricket over the last 18 months, so he was never going to play in 3 tests back to back. Leaving him out of the middle one makes most sense, to me anyway, as it avoids any back to back games. He'll be back for the last one.