The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Got to think at least one of sibley, Crawley or denly will miss out for Root in the remaining tests. Possibly more as old Trafford is a relatively turning pitch for England so they may wish a second spin option with someone like Ali.

4 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Got to think at least one of sibley, Crawley or denly will miss out for Root in the remaining tests. Possibly more as old Trafford is a relatively turning pitch for England so they may wish a second spin option with someone like Ali.

They've left Ali out of the wider 22 man squad, so I doubt he'll play any part in this series. I can't see them going with 2 spinners in home conditions. If anything, I think it's more likely that they go with none if they play Root and Denly (though I expect him to be the bat that misses out when Root returns).

3 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Rory Burns may look like a member of a pirate metal band but is looking more and more assured as a test match opening batsman. 

He was lucky three umpire's finger didn't go up in the first over (one which West Indies reviewed, umpire's call). Other than that though, I agree, he looks set to be at the top of the order for the next few years.

4 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

They've left Ali out of the wider 22 man squad, so I doubt he'll play any part in this series. I can't see them going with 2 spinners in home conditions. If anything, I think it's more likely that they go with none if they play Root and Denly (though I expect him to be the bat that misses out when Root returns).

Which is nuts, because he’s the best spinner in the squad, by quite some distance, and he’s a great batsman when he’s on form.  I’d have Ali at 8 as one of the first names in the XI.  

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

Which is nuts, because he’s the best spinner in the squad, by quite some distance, and he’s a great batsman when he’s on form.  I’d have Ali at 8 as one of the first names in the XI.  

Totally agree. I'd have him playing in this one.

Only just seen this segment produced by Sky Sports.  Pretty tough watch.  Needless to say the comments section can safely be ignored.  

I've just had a flick through and the comments section is fairly positive. I had to scroll for a while before a negative view apoeared, and a few folk got them telt.

It was an excellent piece of tv.

Mikey really went for it when discussing the clip as well.

11 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I've just had a flick through and the comments section is fairly positive. I had to scroll for a while before a negative view apoeared, and a few folk got them telt.

It was an excellent piece of tv.

Mikey really went for it when discussing the clip as well.

Yup.  Ian Ward, by his own admission, probably didn’t bring much gravitas to proceedings, but he very wisely just shut up and kept the questioning to a minimum.  I learnt a lot from it.  Well handled by Sky, unlike their plastic bottle thing which seems trite and ridiculously out of place.

I've got to think that Denly will step out for Root in the next test.

English cricket is all about the ashes and I can't seen him at 34 improving and doing much against them..  His average is currently 30 before today after 14 tests.

Would have been an idea to pick one of the younger lads to have a look at.

11 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

I've got to think that Denly will step out for Root in the next test.

English cricket is all about the ashes and I can't seen him at 34 improving and doing much against them..  His average is currently 30 before today after 14 tests.

Would have been an idea to pick one of the younger lads to have a look at.

He’s also lasted at least 100 balls in the majority of his innings.  The scores haven’t been there, but the crease occupancy has.  I think he’s ahead of Crawley, right now, but there’s flexibility there.

On one hand you want to see a competitive score being posted, which means Buttler and Stokes both need scores. On the other hand, if Buttler fails again it should be game over for his test career and Foakes brought in