The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Guest Moomintroll

The Aussies aren't the brightest, celebrate a wicket with elbow bumps then proceed to share water bottles with each other.

Watched the first 4 episodes, will finish it tomorrow or Tuesday.

Paine and Finch come across as decent guys but I thought that anyway. Lyon seems to be someone who actually is pretty sound IRL but once he crosses the white line onto the pitch just acts like a dick. None of the other players have had enough of a role to make me form an opinion on them. WIll be interesting to see how Smith and Warner come across if / when they're interviewed after they get back into the team.

Langer is obviously the main "character" in the series and he is a bit of a weirdo, obviously different people have different management styles but I do not think I'd work well under him, would genuinely rather have a hairdryer treatment arsehole coach winding me up to get me to give a "f**k you" type of performance than his sort of passive-aggressive shtick and cliches. 

Edited by Fuctifano

Final round of Sheffield Shield games were to be played behind closed doors then officially cancelled a few later. Today the Shield Final has been cancelled with this year’s title awarded to NSW. They would still have finished top even if the last round had been played.

On 15/03/2020 at 09:02, Lichtie78 said:

Anybody watched the test on amazon prime?im on episode 4, very good watch

Intend to watch it next, currently watching Cricket Fever on Netflix about the Mumbai Indians 2018 IPL season, great watch so far. 

On 15/03/2020 at 23:41, Fuctifano said:

Paine and Finch come across as decent guys but I thought that anyway. Lyon seems to be someone who actually is pretty sound IRL but once he crosses the white line onto the pitch just acts like a dick. None of the other players have had enough of a role to make me form an opinion on them. WIll be interesting to see how Smith and Warner come across if / when they're interviewed after they get back into the team.

Langer is obviously the main "character" in the series and he is a bit of a weirdo, obviously different people have different management styles but I do not think I'd work well under him, would genuinely rather have a hairdryer treatment arsehole coach winding me up to get me to give a "f**k you" type of performance than his sort of passive-aggressive shtick and cliches. 

Both Smith and surprisingly Warner also come across as alright although there isn't any great looking back at what they'd done to get banned and clearly all these things are edited. 

Never knew that Shaun Marsh injury in the world cup happened in the nets when he went in to replace Maxwell in the nets after Cummins had injured him. Felt a bit bad for him as that was a career ender given his age.

Most unintentionally funny bit was Langer kicking the bin over after Lyon botched the run out near the end of Stokes vs Australia at Headingley... then the camera lingering on him for 30 second as he picks up about handful after handful of rubbish and stuffs it all back in.

Not sure the narrative of "the Australian cricket team are All Good Blokes now" it was clearly trying to come across with is accurate, really. India and England are probably equally not nice. 

• 2 weeks later...
Both Smith and surprisingly Warner also come across as alright although there isn't any great looking back at what they'd done to get banned and clearly all these things are edited.  Never knew that Shaun Marsh injury in the world cup happened in the nets when he went in to replace Maxwell in the nets after Cummins had injured him. Felt a bit bad for him as that was a career ender given his age.

Most unintentionally funny bit was Langer kicking the bin over after Lyon botched the run out near the end of Stokes vs Australia at Headingley... then the camera lingering on him for 30 second as he picks up about handful after handful of rubbish and stuffs it all back in.

Not sure the narrative of "the Australian cricket team are All Good Blokes now" it was clearly trying to come across with is accurate, really. India and England are probably equally not nice. 

Usman Khawaja comes across as pretty high maintenance. Can see why he keeps getting dropped.

ETA stumbled across a documentary called Death of a Gentleman, which was made by that obnoxious scorer from Talksport, Jarred Kimber. It’s a very pleasant little time waster. And features the dulcet tones of Tony Cozier, which always an absolute treat.

Thought it was terrific. Paine comes across as decent bloke. Smith seems like one of those “what do they know of cricket that only cricket know” people. A couple of hours in the pub with him might be fascinating, but much more would be hard to stomach. Couldn’t get a read on Langer at all. He seems to live on the border, as it were, of insight and cliche. Some of the other players offered banalities.

I did notice towards the end they had far less access to the team. They hardly touched on Warner, who very obviously crumbled under the pressure which Smith rose above. Considering how heavily they focused on Finch when he was struggling, I thought that was a miss. There was a story to be had on those two, and Bancroft - who didn’t feature at all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Was watching the watchalong, like you seems weird it being 15 years ago, made me realise we're spoiled with tight matches now. At the time that was a once in a decade occurrence

It's baffling now to think that there was so much resistance to the review system at the start. Aussies would have won the test and the series had they been able to review what was a shocking decision. Fairly obvious now that it's been fantastic for the game and something that Scottish fitba could learn from. Change isn't always a bad thing. 

It's baffling now to think that there was so much resistance to the review system at the start. Aussies would have won the test and the series had they been able to review what was a shocking decision. Fairly obvious now that it's been fantastic for the game and something that Scottish fitba could learn from. Change isn't always a bad thing. 

One word. India.