The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 hours ago, peasy23 said:
4 hours ago, Moomintroll said:
Making England look good away from home requires a high degree of shiteness, don't want to downplay their success but can see them struggling in Sri Lanka even though they are utter dugmeat right now.

The last 3 tests have highlighted how abject England were in the first one. England have been little more than competent, with the odd brilliant individual display thrown in, but it's been far too good for the Saffers.

Let's not forget the fact that England have won 4 tosses in a row. That can't be overerstated, especially in places like Cape Town and PE.

They managed to f**k it up in the 1st test, but in the last 3 tests that's been a huge advantage. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

SA managed to make it to 183, giving England a lead of 217, Wood getting his 5 for. England batting again, a lead of over 300 should be plenty, but they will bat through to at least lunch time tomorrow when they should have about 450 in the bank.

They need Wood to be fit for the Ashes in Australia, him and Archer together down there is a must on pitches where pace is usually everything.

SA managed to make it to 183, giving England a lead of 217, Wood getting his 5 for. England batting again, a lead of over 300 should be plenty, but they will bat through to at least lunch time tomorrow when they should have about 450 in the bank.

They need Wood to be fit for the Ashes in Australia, him and Archer together down there is a must on pitches where pace is usually everything.

I’m not seeing it with Archer right now. I think the current lineup (plus a spinner for Curran/Woakes if required) is as effective as England have. Maybe a fit Archer takes over from Broad, but at this point I don’t think he’s in the best four.

I’m not seeing it with Archer right now. I think the current lineup (plus a spinner for Curran/Woakes if required) is as effective as England have. Maybe a fit Archer takes over from Broad, but at this point I don’t think he’s in the best four.
I should maybe have said a fully fit and bowling at full speed Archer tbf, but England's last 2 visits to Australia without raw pace have seen them lose 4-0 and 4-1.

3rd consecutive 50 plus opening partnership for England, last openers to do that were Cook and Compton in India, where they managed 4 on a row.

Interesting to hear Shaun Pollock say he expects Crawley to have a better career at test level than Sibley.

Interesting to hear Shaun Pollock say he expects Crawley to have a better career at test level than Sibley.

A lot of the pundits don't seem to fancy Sibley's open stance, but it seems to have worked for him thus far in his career.

Another good start for Crawley comes to an end with a slightly disappointing shot, it was a decent ball from Pretorious tbf.

6 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

A lot of the pundits don't seem to fancy Sibley's open stance, but it seems to have worked for him thus far in his career.

Another good start for Crawley comes to an end with a slightly disappointing shot, it was a decent ball from Pretorious tbf.

I'm sure there were similar comments about Trescothick but if it works for him then he will manage I hope.

Guest Moomintroll
Another low score for Denly. I think if he doesn't make a score in Sri Lanka he'll lose his place when Burns is back fit.
Think that will do for Jos in the Test XI, Ben Foakes well overdue another chance.

Just now, Moomintroll said:
2 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:
Another low score for Denly. I think if he doesn't make a score in Sri Lanka he'll lose his place when Burns is back fit.

Think that will do for Jos in the Test XI, Ben Foakes well overdue another chance.

Yep. Although I can see them bringing Bairstow back, even though he doesn't deserve another shot at the moment.

Guest Moomintroll
Yep. Although I can see them bringing Bairstow back, even though he doesn't deserve another shot at the moment.
Totally agree, Foakes deserves the gloves in Sri Lanka tbh, batting aside, he is a far better wk than Jos or YJB which is a major consideration with the turning pitches there as he will not miss many chances.