The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Another Scottish defeat which doesn't bode well for a potential rematch against the Dutch in the playoffs.
Oman fucking it up against Jersey, looking like they'll have to settle for a place in the playoffs. Probably against Namibia. 
Even in the games that Scotland won they were fairly unconvincing. No confidence at all that they can get through the ko stages.

Jersey win. Oman in the playoffs. Ireland will qualify barring a very one-sided victory in the UAE v Canada game. Either way, we avoid Ireland, which is good considering our rubbish record against them.

UAE need to turn round a 1.5 deficit on the net run rate, not impossible but extremely unlikely. Been a decent tourney for Jersey with 3 wins.

UAE need to turn round a 1.5 deficit on the net run rate, but impossible but extremely unlikely. Been a decent tourney for Jersey with 3 wins.

Been a good even tournament all round so far. Only real shite teams have been Nigeria (who were chucked in late as a replacement for Zimbabwe) and Bermuda. Look at Group B and 6 teams are separated by only 2 points.

If I’m seeing this right it looks like Scotland will have a tough opponent regardless of what happens, they’ll be playing the loser of Netherlands vs UAE/Canada, which will be very hard. Even if they win they would then play the winner of UAE/Hong Kong vs Namibia/Oman.

Edit - although I think Scotland just need to win their first match

8 hours ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Scotland have a very tough match against the loser of that. By far the stronger match.

Congratulations to PNG on their first ever qualification and well done to Ireland who are a good ODI team but their T20 team was looking like a Sunday pub league team for a while, so great improvement by them.

I don’t think many doubt that Scotland have a number of players more suited to the T20 format than Ireland, but they continually punch above their weight when it really matters, irrespective of the format, and we continually punch below ours.

An abject display so far in this tournament by a talented Scotland side, albeit, even if we’d played to form, our batting is considerably stronger than our bowling.

I don’t think many doubt that Scotland have a number of players more suited to the T20 format than Ireland, but they continually punch above their weight when it really matters, irrespective of the format, and we continually punch below ours.
An abject display so far in this tournament by a talented Scotland side, albeit, even if we’d played to form, our batting is considerably stronger than our bowling.
The worry at the moment is we consistently seem to balls it up in games where we are favourites. The Netherlands game was always going to be a tough one, but we should really have been winning the other games. They were on course to win the opening match against Singapore before blowing it, and were completely abject trying to chase Namibia's 160 target. I'm not confident at all for the play-off match whoever we play.