The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Scotland made a complete mess of that today. They were cruising while Berrington was in the middle but just couldn't hit the boundaries after he got out. Even then they only needed 3 from the last 2 balls to tie the match and win the series but could get barely get bat on ball for those last two deliveries.

Guest Moomintroll

Mo stepping down will hopefully force Joe Root to bowl more in Sri Lanka. I honestly believe that he is a far better slow bowler than he gets credit for, he doesn't spin it massively but he has something that gets batters out, maybe it is complacency on the other teams side but he is a far better bowler than he believes he is.

Root has to go back to 4, it's where he has played the vast majority of his best stuff. 
Burns and Archer have both been given central contracts, so they will both be involved for the foreseeable future.

Can't remember which pundit said it but there's a reason the two best batsmen in the world, Kohli and Smith, bat at 4. Root any earlier than 4 is facing a new ball in all likelihood and diminishes the impact he can have. I get his conversion of 50s to centuries isn't great but his main strength for me has always been his ability to keep the scoreboard ticking over at a good rate creating pressure.

Should be Burns, Sibley, Denly and then Root. Hopefully Sibley can help provide a strong opening partnership with Burns.

I think the opener thing is being blown out of proportion though as all teams seem to be struggling for a solid opening pair at the moment. Look at India, they tried Rahul & Shaw, then Shaw popped for drugs, so they tried Agarwal, now they’re trying Rohit Sharma again. For Australia, Warner is out of form and he doesn’t have a competent opening partner either. For NZ, Raval is badly out of form although Latham is an excellent player. Same goes for SA and SL, Elgar out of form but Markram is a decent player, and Dimuth is a good opener but Thirimanne not so much.

Bonus points shouldn't matter too much. Essex need to get five more bonus points than Somerset to be sure of winning the title. If they do that, they'll almost certainly be in a position where they can't lose, and they only need a draw to win the title anyway. 

In Division Two, Gloucestershire seem to be shitting the bed, giving Glamorgan a real chance at promotion if they can win their game.