The Cricket Thread

bewlay

9 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Do you think it hit the bat first? Genuinely?

It could have hit bat-pad or pad-bat-pad.

There was no way of telling. The angle from the wicket keepers view isn't accurate in terms of depth.

It's the same issue with the  camera behind the goal for keepers moving on penalties. From that angle it's impossible to say when the ball is struck.

13 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Agreed.  I think the Barmy Army are, on the whole, a decent sort.  Look at the way that they're responding to Smith (knowing how good he is) and to Warner (knowing that he's buckled under the pressure).  Guarantee Smith gets a huge standing ovation at the end of the series.  

I would say, though, that you need to pick your stands very carefully when going to watch England.

At this test I sat in the stand immediately to the left of the old sight screen/media centre on days 2 and 4, and was at the back of the party stand on day 3. In future I'll be going back to the party stand more often, it was just a more sociable and enjoyable experience. In that stand everyone speaks to each other and has a bit of a laugh, while elsewhere everyone seems to keep themselves to themselves.

Party stand and 8 pints is definitely the preferred method.

On the treatment of Smith and Warner, I totally agree. Smith is the greatest batsman of the modern era, and after each of his innings in this match the vast majority of the crowd stood to applaud him. Warner continues to get heckled at every opportunity because he's a c**t and has completely bottled this series.

4 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It could have hit bat-pad or pad-bat-pad.

There was no way of telling. The angle from the wicket keepers view isn't accurate in terms of depth.

It's the same issue with the  camera behind the goal for keepers moving on penalties. From that angle it's impossible to say when the ball is struck.

Bollocks. It was bat pad and everyone could see it.

Edited by die hard doonhamer

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:

A minimum of 36 overs to bowl but with the light beginning to go around 6.30 the only way Australia will bowl those is if Lyons and another slow bowler are on at the end. If any of the quickies are on you can imagine that England will be saying that they can't see the ball.

They've also already been off for light in this game, so if it does beneath that level at any point then they have to go off.

It's a maximum of 36, is it not?

Guest Moomintroll
They've also already been off for light in this game, so if it does beneath that level at any point then they have to go off.
It's a maximum of 36, is it not?
There is zero chance they are fitting 36 overs in under any circumstances. Cue several glove changes, new bats & an unfortunate outbreak of cramp which will require lengthy treatment.

There is zero chance they are fitting 36 overs in under any circumstances. Cue several glove changes, new bats & an unfortunate outbreak of cramp which will require lengthy treatment.
If there a bouncer bowled and it hits an English player you can guarantee that they'll stay down as if they have been shot.

Anything to slow it down.

11 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

If there a bouncer bowled and it hits an English player you can guarantee that they'll stay down as if they have been shot.

Anything to slow it down.

In fairness, I've never seen that.  I've seen needless glove changes, headache tablets, mid over conversations halfway down the track, conspicuous blinking of the eyes and all sorts, but I've never seen an injury exaggerated even in bad light.

Edit:  I'm all in favour of all of those tactics right now.  

Edited by Savage Henry