The Cricket Thread

bewlay

11 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

The commentators were obviously rationed per country (presume Mbangwa counts as South African) and without sounding like yer da they obviously had a remit to include female commentators - the Aussie one Mel Jones was good, Isa Guha was awful. Bumble should have been in ahead of Ian Ward though and alongside Atherton and Hussain.

I thought Isa Guha was ok on TMS. I think she's a better radio commentator than TV. Ward presumably got in ahead of him because he's one of their presenters, none of the others there ever lead the coverage.

Edited by die hard doonhamer

1 minute ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I thought Isa Guha was ok on TMS. I think she's a better radio commentator than TV. Ward presumably got in ahead of him because he's one of their presenters, none of the others there ever lead the coverage.

She was awful in the final, the other commentators from either side obviously made it clear who they wanted to win, but she just stopped talking when England lost Root and Bairstow.

Notable drafts today for the ET20S:

Edinburgh Rocks: Martin Guptill, Matt Henry, Tabraiz Shamsi, Chris Lynn and Dwayne Pretorious

Glasgow Giants: Brendon McCullum, Dale Steyn, Ravi Bopara and Moises Henriques

Dublin Chiefs: Eoin Morgan, Babar Azam, Mohammad Amir and Harry Gurney

Belfast Titans: Shahid Afridi, JP Duminy, Colin Ingram, Mitch McCleneghan

Amsterdam Knights: Imran Tahir, Shane Watson, Alzarri Joseph

Rotterdam Rhinos: Rashid Khan, Luke Ronchi, Fakhar Zaman, Shaheen Afridi, Samit Patel

Guest Moomintroll
Edinburgh look stronger IMO. Dublin look the strongest and Rotterdam look strong also.
Edinburgh do look stronger than Glasgow sadly, agree that Dublin are the team to beat.

There was no play on Sky's tv game last night from Southampton due to rain. The umpires have had to take the players off in the Kent v Somerset match at Canterbury tonight due to too much sun, with the sun setting right behind the bowler's arm.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

There was no play on Sky's tv game last night from Southampton due to rain. The umpires have had to take the players off in the Kent v Somerset match at Canterbury tonight due to too much sun, with the sun setting right behind the bowler's arm.

It seems to happen every year there. You would think they'd make plans to turn the square.

I’m really looking forward to the Ireland test for some reason as it just intrigues me. It got me thinking that I’m worried about the drop in popularity of Test Cricket. I was speaking to a few of the U18s & U15s at my local club and they are less than interested in Tests. Some of them even find ODIs boring and are all about the T20 stuff. I like all 3 formats as they all have different qualities but there is nothing like a good old Test match so it’d be a shame to see the interest drop. Hopefully the World Cup win helps boost the interest.

Guest Moomintroll
I’m really looking forward to the Ireland test for some reason as it just intrigues me. It got me thinking that I’m worried about the drop in popularity of Test Cricket. I was speaking to a few of the U18s & U15s at my local club and they are less than interested in Tests. Some of them even find ODIs boring and are all about the T20 stuff. I like all 3 formats as they all have different qualities but there is nothing like a good old Test match so it’d be a shame to see the interest drop. Hopefully the World Cup win helps boost the interest.

Apart from England, India & the Boxing Day Test in Australia, Test Cricket does not attract the crowds it once did. I suppose it is down to a combination of work/school unfriendly timings in addition to an ever decreasing attention span among spectators. Like yourself, I enjoy all 3 formats as I appreciate the different skillsets & tactics required but the longest form does seem to be locked into an inexorable decline especially in the West Indies which is the saddest decline of all. Even County games are sparsely attended now, I get to OT when I can & the attendances make you aware of just how much they are reliant on EWCB & by extension Sky funding. There is still an appetite for Test Cricket out there but I am concerned as to how long that will endure.

Guest Moomintroll

As expected Jimmy Anderson has been ruled out of the one off Test v Ireland starting tomorrow, highly inexperienced attack although there seems to be around 4 number 8s among the bowlers & no authentic tailenders except for Jack Leach. ETA I got sent the wrong team initially.

What was originally going to be Australia v Australia A is now the Brad Haddin XII v Graeme Hick XII at the Rose Bowl. Warner out for 4.

Hick XII: Joe Burns, Cameron Bancroft, Steve Smith, Peter Handscomb, Matthew Wade, Mitchell Marsh, Tim Paine (c, wk), Michael Neser, James Pattinson, Jackson Bird, Chris Tremain, Nathan Lyon

Haddin XII: David Warner, Marcus Harris, Kurtis Patterson, Travis Head ©, Marnus Labuschagne, Will Pucovski, Alex Carey (wk), Pat Cummins, Mitch Starc, Peter Siddle, Josh Hazlewood, Jon Holland.

3 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

Apart from England, India & the Boxing Day Test in Australia, Test Cricket does not attract the crowds it once did. I suppose it is down to a combination of work/school unfriendly timings in addition to an ever decreasing attention span among spectators. Like yourself, I enjoy all 3 formats as I appreciate the different skillsets & tactics required but the longest form does seem to be locked into an inexorable decline especially in the West Indies which is the saddest decline of all. Even County games are sparsely attended now, I get to OT when I can & the attendances make you aware of just how much they are reliant on EWCB & by extension Sky funding. There is still an appetite for Test Cricket out there but I am concerned as to how long that will endure.

It doesn't help when the robbing b*****ds are charging eighty five fucking quid for a day ticket for the next test. Against Ireland! 

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

1 hour ago, Eednud said:

What was originally going to be Australia v Australia A is now the Brad Haddin XII v Graeme Hick XII at the Rose Bowl. Warner out for 4.

Hick XII: Joe Burns, Cameron Bancroft, Steve Smith, Peter Handscomb, Matthew Wade, Mitchell Marsh, Tim Paine (c, wk), Michael Neser, James Pattinson, Jackson Bird, Chris Tremain, Nathan Lyon

Haddin XII: David Warner, Marcus Harris, Kurtis Patterson, Travis Head ©, Marnus Labuschagne, Will Pucovski, Alex Carey (wk), Pat Cummins, Mitch Starc, Peter Siddle, Josh Hazlewood, Jon Holland.

I understand the reason, but the fact that these teams are named as "XII" rather than "XI" is really annoying.

Guest Moomintroll
It doesn't help when the robbing b*****ds are charging eighty five fucking quid for a day ticket for the next test. Against Ireland! 
That's true but there will still be a decent crowd, in some countries you could offer admission for next to nothing & the attendance would still be poor.

As expected Jimmy Anderson has been ruled out of the one off Test v Ireland starting tomorrow, highly inexperienced attack although there seems to be around 4 number 8s among the bowlers & no authentic tailenders.
Also saying Archer is doubtful for the first Ashes test but they are confident Anderson will be ok.

So with Roy and Burns opening and with Denly in at 3, with 11 caps between them it's their most inexperienced opening trio since 1952.