The Cricket Thread

bewlay

4 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

You get them with overthrows as well - which are a pretty common part of cricket. Not a valid point

When you have played second XI Strathmore & #Perthshire  Union Cricket you can tell me what is common in cricket and what is a valid point.

Fucking cheek 

Don't know how anyone can support England after watching some of the crowd scenes (which included Teresa May and Piers Morgan, I mean FFS) and for them to win with the biggest slice of luck I've seen in cricket with the Stokes "six". Hamilton taking a predictable win in the Grand Prix just rubs it in.

They’re a pretty easy team to root for, to be fair, excuse the pun. Stokes being a possible exception, but Woakes, Root, Bairstow and Ali seem like pretty sound blokes. It’s not like they’re a team of Steve Smiths.

What is the difference between a no ball & a wide, noticed NZ first chance to score was given 1 as a wide what happens with a no ball, seemed a bit harsh with only six goes at hitting one is ruled basically a foul, they could have just bowled another 5 of them meaning NZ could only have scored 6

Guest Bob Mahelp

England got every rub of the green going in the final, of that there's no doubt. They were also though the best team throughout the tournament as a whole, so deserved winners.

The problem is how else to end a drawn super over? You can’t do it on wickets lost, as that would end it prematurely if the second team lost a wicket.

I’ve never seen a super over before, but presumably they very rarely end in tied scores?

Couldn't you just play another over? The tournament has been going on for seven weeks or something, not sure another ten minutes would matter too much.

1 minute ago, ali_91 said:

The ball doesn’t count for a wide or a no ball. 

No ball is normally the front foot being over the line, or as seen in New Zealand’s innings, a dangerous delivery on the full. 

Thought NZ got 1 run for it but was watching the golf & just noticed something on text

does seem a bit of a shite way to decide things when you consider that NZ made their fifty-over total losing two fewer wickets than england - i'd consider that a more significant factor than the 'number of boundaries' count...

But is it better or worse than deciding the groups on net run rate?

Couldn't you just play another over? The tournament has been going on for seven weeks or something, not sure another ten minutes would matter too much.

I was assuming there’s a reason that they can’t, but I have no idea what. I suspect it’s not very healthy for a fast bowler to go hurtling in for half a day’s cricket, take another half off, and then come charging back in for one over. That’d be my guess, but it isn’t a great one. For the sake of ten minutes, as you say.

Really tough to take for NZ the way it ended, and another over a piece or even Ali's bowl off would have been great entertainment.

But can't understand folk complaining about it being decided on boundaries. Surely big hits and boundaries are the exciting part of batting, and get more non-avid cricket fans watching, which is a big part of one day cricket, so a rule encouraging that kind of play isn't that unreasonable.

Better than the away goals in football!!

The kiwis knew the rule before the superover, and just had to score 1 run more than England. Think it's also a bit of an advantage in that situation batting second as you know what score you have to get.

What is the difference between a no ball & a wide, noticed NZ first chance to score was given 1 as a wide what happens with a no ball, seemed a bit harsh with only six goes at hitting one is ruled basically a foul, they could have just bowled another 5 of them meaning NZ could only have scored 6

You get another ball either way.

Generally a no ball is seen as more of a crime than a wide because it can be genuinely dangerous and intimidatory.

Ok. Makes a change for cricket not to end in a draw, usually one team has 200 & the other has 580 & its a draw

There’s actually a case for having four day tests as so few go into a full fifth day. I personally think it’s nonsense, but there is a case. They even tried it in South Africa but as far as I know it hasn’t caught on.

12 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Really tough to take for NZ the way it ended, and another over a piece or even Ali's bowl off would have been great entertainment.

But can't understand folk complaining about it being decided on boundaries. Surely big hits and boundaries are the exciting part of batting, and get more non-avid cricket fans watching, which is a big part of one day cricket, so a rule encouraging that kind of play isn't that unreasonable.

Better than the away goals in football!!

The kiwis knew the rule before the superover, and just had to score 1 run more than England. Think it's also a bit of an advantage in that situation batting second as you know what score you have to get.

Surely taking wickets is a huge part of the game too?

25 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'm not sure what you mean by that. It would only come into play at the end of the over - if the second team lost a wicket then they would still have balls remaining to chase the target.

Not if the first team scored thirty without loss and the second team loses a wicket first up, which isn't that unfeasible.  

14 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

But is it better or worse than deciding the groups on net run rate?

don't think there's too much of an issue with that given that it's a good indicator of the relative dominance (or otherwise) of teams against the same set of opponents over a fixed number of games; you can argue that the vagaries of the weather impact it but hey, it's cricket in england - live with it

just think that with scoring runs and taking wickets being the two prime purposes of the game, they should possibly be used to determine a winner before resorting to  the manner in which just one of those has been achieved - fact is, while both teams were level by the first mark, NZ were better at the second and yet they lost the game - seems a bit odd....