The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Just now, Jmothecat2 said:

That's the most excited I've been by cricket since the last time it was shown on C4

Fantastic game of cricket, tremendous that it was on cooncil telly, will hopefully raise interest.

Commiserations to the Kiwis, they didn't deserve too lose that.

Some pressure.  Sport at it's best.

That's the most excited I've been by cricket since the last time it was shown on C4

They talked about how this could regenerate the game in the UK. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a better game of one day cricket, even including Scotland beating England. Ludicrous game. It’s a shame so many of us had to choose between this and the insane tennis.

Just now, ali_91 said:

Joe Root talking about ‘all Ben Stones has been through,’ as if punching f**k out of someone who is backing away from you and mimicking a child with severe learning difficulties is a tragic accident is a bit of an odd one. 

True. Guess emotions are a bit all over the place right now.

Be interesting to see if their World Cup final hero gets a knighthood with that past though...

3 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Joe Root talking about ‘all Ben Stokes has been through,’ as if punching f**k out of someone who is backing away from you and mimicking a child with severe learning difficulties is a tragic accident is a bit of an odd one. 

Not really surprising. The England team has several arseholes in it. The nasty streak is probably part of the reason why they're so good, mind you. 

2 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

The boundaries tie breaker seems a bit daft. All runs count the same don’t they?

I look forward to the next football World Cup being decided on “Most left foot shots into the top right hand corner”.

It is a bit harsh, but England finished above them in the group which is the decisive factor for ties in the semis. Not in the final, though, which is a bit of an oddity. 

You certainly couldn't complain if the trophy had been shared. 

2 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

The boundaries tie breaker seems a bit daft. All runs count the same don’t they?

I look forward to the next football World Cup being decided on “Most left foot shots into the top right hand corner”.

Seems like a very weird rule. If England had more boundaries then that means New Zealand had more scoring shots.

It seems like the number of wickets taken (New Zealand) or highest overall finish in the group table (England) would be a bit fairer in terms of actually measuring which side was better at the overall sport of cricket rather than just one particular aspect of it.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

Not really surprising. The England team has several arseholes in it. The nasty streak is probably part of the reason why they're so good, mind you. 

What other arseholes? It’s a pretty likeable team tbh. 

The problem is how else to end a drawn super over? You can’t do it on wickets lost, as that would end it prematurely if the second team lost a wicket.

I’ve never seen a super over before, but presumably they very rarely end in tied scores?

2 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

The boundaries tie breaker looks even worse when you consider that you can get boundaries with the ball bouncing off you mid run.

You get them with overthrows as well - which are a pretty common part of cricket. Not a valid point.

5 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Change it to 'Most shots that go in off the bar' and you'd have my support.

They talked about how this could regenerate the game in the UK. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a better game of one day cricket, even including Scotland beating England. Ludicrous game. It’s a shame so many of us had to choose between this and the insane tennis.

Yeah I was dual screening it. Tennis on the TV and the All4 app on the iPad, that cut out just before the final ball of the England innings proper because it got to 7pm and the scheduled programme changed so the app turned off the stream. Got it back on just in time to see the 'out' graphic on the big screen.

Don't know how anyone can support England after watching some of the crowd scenes (which included Teresa May and Piers Morgan, I mean FFS) and for them to win with the biggest slice of luck I've seen in cricket with the Stokes "six". Hamilton taking a predictable win in the Grand Prix just rubs it in.

Bowl off. Break someone’s heart with a sudden death bowl off. Be absolutely class. 

Did they not use to do that in the old Sunday league back on the day? Bowling at one set of stumps, six balls per team?

4 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

The problem is how else to end a drawn super over? You can’t do it on wickets lost, as that would end it prematurely if the second team lost a wicket.

I’ve never seen a super over before, but presumably they very rarely end in tied scores?

I'm not sure what you mean by that. It would only come into play at the end of the over - if the second team lost a wicket then they would still have balls remaining to chase the target.