The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Exactly this sort of situation that worries me. Well bowled by New Zealand to get one of the openers out before they've settled. Hopefully Root can form a partnership with Bairstow. Get to 10 overs without losing another wicket and I'll feel confident Bairstow will hang around a bit.

Still don’t think New Zealand have enough. Think they needed close to 300.

Advantage England but it really feels this next few overs are crucial. It's this sort of situation where you just want them to get themselves in but as that's not the 'England way' I've a horrible sense there's a chance they might throw their wickets away. Hopefully the gravity of the match sobers them a little.

Guest Bob Mahelp

England are waiting until Boult and Henry are taken off (although Ferguson could be dangerous on a day like this).

They'll fancy their chances against NZ's change bowlers. 

Advantage England but it really feels this next few overs are crucial. It's this sort of situation where you just want them to get themselves in but as that's not the 'England way' I've a horrible sense there's a chance they might throw their wickets away. Hopefully the gravity of the match sobers them a little.
Agree. If NZ were to take another wicket here... Mmmmm. They don't like a chase.

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, John Lambies Doos said:

Englands run rate collapsing here

Run rate is irrelevant here. If England choose to they could batter 50 or 60 off the next 7 or 8 overs. 

Everything going in their favour at the moment anyway. 

Run rate is irrelevant here. If England choose to they could batter 50 or 60 off the next 7 or 8 overs. 
They could try of course but they would lose wickets. Compared to their run rate against Oz on Thursday at this point, it's not great and certainly not irrelevant

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, John Lambies Doos said:
1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

They could try of course but they would lose wickets. Compared to their run rate against Oz on Thursday at this point, it's not great and certainly not irrelevant

The required run rate at this moment is under 6 an over. That's loose change for these guys. 

NZ need wickets. 

Just feel England are getting sucked into playing a different way because it is a world cup final. The problem with allowing the rate to go up is if a couple of wickets fall, new batsmen are having to come in under the pressure to play shots early. Can lead to a collapse.

Edited by KingswellsRed

Just feel England are getting sucked into playing a different way because it is a world cup final. The problem with allowing the rate to go up is if a couple of wickets fall, new batsmen are having to come in under the pressure to plays shots early. Can lead to a collapse.
This is my point.