The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Lads, has anyone ever taken up the sport in their 30's ? I've never played the sport but had a love for the game from a young age. After giving up football i'd like to get into team sports again and i'd love to play cricket within a team.
Not sure how easy it is to just turn up and join right enough.
Hi mate, late reply to this. If you're in Paisley you've got two teams, Kelburne CC and Ferguslie CC. Both good clubs with great social sections/membership. Both these sides have a Sunday team which is a much more casual standard and is aimed at younger players, oldies and newbies - also they'll have evening league games on a Tuesday night. Standard here is mixed too. Training will be a couple nights a week with coaching available...I'm further away in Neilston so I play at Poloc CC but the two Paisley sides are both good traditional clubs[emoji106]

49 minutes ago, Spiders67 said:

Hi mate, late reply to this. If you're in Paisley you've got two teams, Kelburne CC and Ferguslie CC. Both good clubs with great social sections/membership. Both these sides have a Sunday team which is a much more casual standard and is aimed at younger players, oldies and newbies - also they'll have evening league games on a Tuesday night. Standard here is mixed too. Training will be a couple nights a week with coaching available...I'm further away in Neilston so I play at Poloc CC but the two Paisley sides are both good traditional clubsemoji106.png

Top man, cheers mate :thumsup2

6 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

Should be a good game today to follow on from yesterdays cracker. 

My first trip to the Riverside and its not an international calibre ground, its the 8th test venue I've been too and its easily the 8th best of them in terms of facilities and general getting around the place. The toilets had run out of water by the end of the game and anyone charging £7 for a hot dog deserves to be minced into their next batch.

Guest Moomintroll

My first trip to the Riverside and its not an international calibre ground, its the 8th test venue I've been too and its easily the 8th best of them in terms of facilities and general getting around the place. The toilets had run out of water by the end of the game and anyone charging £7 for a hot dog deserves to be minced into their next batch.
Haven't been there yet but that does not sound good.

4 hours ago, Jason King said:

Not denying that's shite but I've been a few times in the past for Durham T20 games and all three formats of England games (T20 and Test vs Oz and ODI vs NZ, all of which were sell outs) and never had anything like that. 

The toilets issue I can't defend but I assume the ICC have their mucky paws in the pricing, was standard prices in NZ in 2015 regardless of whether it was Auckland or Napier so it might well be "London" pricing for food and drink.

Edited by Fuctifano

Guest Moomintroll

England In a very strong position at the moment, but have seen a few games recently where teams get pulled back after a quick clatter of wickets. Looking at the pitch & how deep NZ are batting would say they will have to be nearer 400 than 300 to be sure today.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Moomintroll said:

England In a very strong position at the moment, but have seen a few games recently where teams get pulled back after a quick clatter of wickets. Looking at the pitch & how deep NZ are batting would say they will have to be nearer 400 than 300 to be sure today.

Yeah, England struggling a bit now.

I think winning the toss was vital today. The pitch has slowed and NZ will really struggle to get the runs. If England had lost the toss they would probably have been in the same position, and would be looking at (possibly) exiting the tournament early.

Pretty much everything England do batting-wise depends on a bullet start from  Bairstow and Roy. 

Guest Moomintroll
2 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Yeah, England struggling a bit now.

I think winning the toss was vital today. The pitch has slowed and NZ will really struggle to get the runs. If England had lost the toss they would probably have been in the same position, and would be looking at (possibly) exiting the tournament early.

Pretty much everything England do batting-wise depends on a bullet start from  Bairstow and Roy. 

A lot resting on how Woakes & Archer bowl early on, if they put pressure on & get a couple out then it gives Plunkett & Rashid something to play with in the middle overs. to go with the handy runs they are making just now. 

Kiwis batting outside Williamson and one knock from Neesham has been w**k, fancy England to defend this by 75+
Think they have enough for the win, but given where they were with 17-18 overs to go then they ended up a good few short of where they could/should have been.

Guest Bob Mahelp
31 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Kiwis batting outside Williamson and one knock from Neesham has been w**k, fancy England to defend this by 75+

Yeap. Williamson has pretty much carried their batting by himself. 

NZ got lucky that their game against India was rained off. They haven't been in any kind of form and without that point they would have been struggling to make the semis.