The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Guest Moomintroll

In other news, has anyone else watched that awful piece of fielding in the Womans T20 between England & the Windies yesterday? If that happened on the sub continent we would all be screaming about match fixing.

11 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
16 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
Is this really the best format for the world cup?

It just seems so meaningless until the semis, and complete unfair when a game is rained off.

It absolutely is not, has been structured this way to maximise TV revenues in India for Star Sports via the BCCI dictating the format within the ICC.

Interestingly enough the shite format(s) can all be traced back to a single day - 17th March 2007.

India not looking great today to be honest. They’ve missed the solid opening partnership of Dhawan (injured) and Sharma (out for 1). Said it before but Shankar and Jadhav are too pedestrian to start together, Pant should bat instead. Mujeeb is an absolutely superb bowler for his supposed age.

1 hour ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Interestingly enough the shite format(s) can all be traced back to a single day - 17th March 2007.

Yes.  I remember the two planes crashing into the stumps.  

Pandya should smash that up to about 230 IMO. Not a great score from India, it’s definitely defendable though.

Meanwhile, Sheldon Cottrell has bowled Guptill for a golden duck on the first ball of the innings. Williamson then hits 7 off 3 balls and Cottrell has bowled Munro for a second golden duck in the first over...

1 hour ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Really poor from India here...

England was basically a UK team until the 90s. It still represents Wales and I guess you could say they still technically represent Scotland and Ireland (until very recently) in Test format.

The team hasn’t represented Scotland since 1992. And even prior to then there was never any mention of Scotland in the name. P&B the only place where I’ve seen such level of support for them amongst Scots.

The team hasn’t represented Scotland since 1992. And even prior to then there was never any mention of Scotland in the name. P&B the only place where I’ve seen such level of support for them amongst Scots.

I don’t support England personally, but I know plenty that do. It’s not the same as football or rugby where Scotland hate England and vice versa. Their media/fan arrogance is still present, but not to the extent of other sports.

14 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I'm surprised by that as I've played cricket for years and there has always been a lot of support for England.

I'm surprised by that as I've played cricket for years and there has always been a lot of support for England.

This. If you’ve played cricket up here then you’ll have seen support for England. If you’re a non cricketer you could be unaware.

Guest Moomintroll

Getting quite interesting in the India Afghanistan match, if this pair can put on another 30 odd runs then we could be in for a shock result.

This. If you’ve played cricket up here then you’ll have seen support for England. If you’re a non cricketer you could be unaware.

Gavin Hamilton played for England post 1992. The majority of cricket fans in Scotland have a primary interest in test cricket. The England team represents Scotland at test level. At one-day, it’s a legacy from Scotland not being an international side. It’s quite possible to support both Scotland and England in a way that’d be a bit weird in most other sports, because there’s no rivalry there.

I think it’s refreshing. The “anyone but England” thing doesn’t exist in cricket. I’m not sure why anyone would take issue with it other than parochial politics.

Guest Moomintroll

Any time I have been to an England game I have ended up talking to another Scottish person supporting them. Same with Lancashire County games as there seems to be a lot of support from Scotland through being the nearest until Durham got in.