The Cricket Thread

bewlay

6 team names announced for this ridiculous 100- ball tournament they're having.

London Spirit, Southern Brave, Leeds Superchargers, Birmingham Phoenix, Trent Rockets and Welsh Fire.

I mean, f**k right off. "See you later dear, I'm just off down Trent Bridge to see the Rockets play the Brave"

17 minutes ago, Forest_Fifer said:

London Spirit, Southern Brave, Leeds Superchargers, Birmingham Phoenix, Trent Rockets and Welsh Fire.

I mean, f**k right off. "See you later dear, I'm just off down Trent Bridge to see the Rockets play the Brave"

Pile of pish. 

The irony of course that they invented the format. I went to one of the first games in the T20 at the Rose Bowl. It was quite good at the time but I think Hampshire only got about 120 odd and that was seen as being a good score at the time!

Indeed.

English cricket is about the only place where test cricket turns a profit. They missed out on the T20 coin, so here’s the latest craze.

I actually am kind of interested in it, but I’m in a small minority.

The biggest new competition I'm interested in this year is the Euro T20 slam. Don't think I'll make it along to any games, unfortunately, but I really hope it's a big success. Will be interesting to see the calibre of player that plays in it.

Dublin Chiefs
Amsterdam Kings
Edinburgh Rocks
Belfast Titans
Rotterdam Rhinos
Glasgow Giants

Surely P&B could come up with better suggestions

3 hours ago, Forest_Fifer said:

Fucking Hell those are abysmal. 

Guest Moomintroll

That South African tail looks a bit suspect for modern day ODIs, will struggle if England set a big target which is looking likely at the moment.

Rabada & Pretorious as well I believe.

de Kock and van der Dussen building a nice partnership now, both seem to have settled and are playing well now. If they can stay in together South Africa have a real chance.

First time I have seen v.d. dussen play and he looks a classy player, not much international experience but his record is very good

Well that Stokes catch is utterly ridiculous

Even he can't believe that one stuck, don't think he was even looking at it when it went into his hand.

Archer has been tremendous, he's already established himself as England's number 1 bowler imo.

Guest Moomintroll

Agreed. Seen Archer a lot but mainly in T20s. He’s definitely England’s best bowler.
Can see him finishing Stuart Broads Test career. Anderson, Stokes & Woakes barring injury will be certainties for the Ashes, will strengthen their bowling and make their lower order even stronger, the tail will effectively be Jimmy.

Never mind that, has Stokes had the standard cricketer's hair repair kit job done? Looks like it to me.

really can't get behind this format, the ICC shat it massively after India and Pakistan got knocked out early in 2007. That said I looked at the last time it was all play all in 1992 and this is how it finished

image.png.d809c9c50c9441c935bf0948ae032c5a.png

Obviously there's an extra team now, so probably 5 wins gives you a shout of the top 4 and 6 almost certainly gets you in.  It'll be interesting to see how much rotation there is with only 15 in the squad,  they might have Wood & Archer lined up for certain games, or play Dawson instead of Ali.

Can't believe the last one was 4 years ago, had 3 and a bit weeks in NZ & Oz and saw 6 games live, filled the rest of the days travelling about doing doing touristy stuff and then me and my 2 mates going to the pub to watch the cricket, especially if day/ night game.  Bliss.

The Afghanistan game is still one of my top 5 worst Scottish sporting boots in the balls though, injured myself celebrating their 9th wicket as I thought we would surely knock over the last pair with 15 or 20 in hand.