The Cricket Thread

bewlay

21 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
41 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
I think one thing that gets overlooked these days when is the standard of fielding. A lot if focus gets put on batsmen battering it all round the ground, but there are some phenomenal catches at times too, like this one.

That was incredible. Aside from his death bowling when he gets it right, I would always have Chris Jordan in the ODI team for England for his fielding abilities alone. Archer, Woakes, Wood, Jordan, Ali & Rashid as a bowling combination would be hard to face in late June/early July conditions, when you think of what they bring to the table, Wood apart, as late order batsmen it is hard to see how England can lose the World Cup unless they have their brainfart at the wrong time.

I'm in agreement with this. The world cup is England's to lose this summer. If they can keep the heid for 2 months they'll win it.

Guest Moomintroll
I'm in agreement with this. The world cup is England's to lose this summer. If they can keep the heid for 2 months they'll win it.
They need to have their inevitable headsgone moment in the group stage though.

Guest Moomintroll
Top trolling from Durham as they name Cameron Bancroft as their Championship and 1 day captain thus summer.
Not really sure if this a GIRFUY to the ECB for the way Durham have been treated, or part of a wider plan to get it right up the vile Warner when he graces us with his odious presence during the Ashes. Hopefully it will be the latter.

Sheffield Shield Final between top of the table Victoria and 2nd place NSW started today at the Junction Oval, St Kilda. For the first time bonus points earned in the game will determine the winner if their is a draw. In previous years it’s been the team finishing first which has led to some dreadful games as no incentive for the home side (top side gets home advantage) to be attack.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Moomintroll

Haseeb might just be getting his mojo back, could he be about to make a run for the Ashes & finally make good on his obvious talent?

No surprise as weak as piss Cricket Australia select Smith and Warner in the World Cup squad. Warner, especially,  should never have been allowed to represent Australia again. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-15/australia-cricket-world-cup-2019-squad-announced/11001956
But they cried on TV and said they were sorry. Sorry about getting caught obviously, not for coercing the youngest guy on the team to cheat for them.

Guest Moomintroll

No Archer in the initial England squad then. Can see this being spun as a win/win later, if he performs well v Pakistan no one can argue if he is drafted in, if he doesn't do well then the ECB can bang on about how they didn't want to upset the current squad dynamic for the WC but wanted to have a look at him. Still think it will be the former to be honest.

19 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

No Archer in the initial England squad then. Can see this being spun as a win/win later, if he performs well v Pakistan no one can argue if he is drafted in, if he doesn't do well then the ECB can bang on about how they didn't want to upset the current squad dynamic for the WC but wanted to have a look at him. Still think it will be the former to be honest.

I think it's actually quite sensible.   I have no idea if he's any good, but the reviews are pretty praising.   If he starts skittling over Australian openers left, right, and centre, nobody will complain about where he was born,

• 2 weeks later...

Alex Hales binned from England squad's for all forms of the game.

ECB Managing director Ashley Giles

“We have worked hard to create the right environment around the England team and need to consider what is in the best interests of the team, to ensure they are free from any distractions and able to focus on being successful on the pitch”

More from Giles

““I want to make it clear this is not the end of Alex’s career as an England player. The ECB & the PCA will continue to aid Alex & work alongside his county club to give him the support he needs, to help him fulfil his potential as a professional cricketer”

39 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I got bowled through my legs tonight. I don't even know how that's possible.

^^^^ poundstretcher Shiv Chanderpaul found.

shiv.thumb.jpg.11ca06fb5ac52b7f9225a84fe37fae62.jpg

Anyone going to the Grange ODI's? Only managing the Saturday Sri Lanka game, and that's if we don't end up having a playoff final...

8 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

It was a different Mahmood. Bears won, the game changed once Anderson was no longer able to bowl. Too little, too late, but nice to actually win for once this season. 

Saqib Mahmood, he's been Lancashire's leading wicket taker in the one day cup so far this year.

Well this is a new one, sprinkler stopped play.
Willey was lucky to escape injury with that one tbh, could easily have did some damage to his ankle.

Archer impressed with a couple of big wickets and a brilliant bit of fielding for a direct hit run out.