The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Guest Moomintroll
Unless England have a disastrous time in the Windies next month, the only way I can see the Ashes even being close is if the weather is ropey. Australia are a a shambles at the moment, India really rubbed their noses in it and that was at home. Those drop in pitches are useless though.
Weather might play a part but in home conditions England will destroy the Aussies, they can play 4 seamers and 2 spinners and still have a great batting depth with Mo, Adil, Ben Stokes and Chris Woakes.The slow pitches that the Windies are producing nowadays will actually help Keaton Jennings gain confidence and pile on some runs.

12 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
23 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
Unless England have a disastrous time in the Windies next month, the only way I can see the Ashes even being close is if the weather is ropey. Australia are a a shambles at the moment, India really rubbed their noses in it and that was at home. Those drop in pitches are useless though.

Weather might play a part but in home conditions England will destroy the Aussies, they can play 4 seamers and 2 spinners and still have a great batting depth with Mo, Adil, Ben Stokes and Chris Woakes.The slow pitches that the Windies are producing nowadays will actually help Keaton Jennings gain confidence and pile on some runs.

And then he'll get back to England and get totally exposed by the moving ball outside his off stump, again.

10 hours ago, Moomintroll said:
16 hours ago, peasy23 said:
Pakistan 153-3 at the close. 228 runs behind and 2 days to get through.

Fantastic pace line up from South Africa, there will be a collapse from Pakistan soon.

Indeed there was, and South Africa only need another two wickets, but the Pakistan tail, for once in their lives, are giving things a right good go.  They need another 140 odd runs with two wickets remaining, but they're smashing the ball all over the place.  Fun to watch.

• 2 weeks later...

Joe Root loses a toss! The windies choose to bat first and England play two spinners and omit Broad. Ali really has to contribute with the bat in this test I feel as although Rashid is more expensive he's more likely to take wickets than Moeen

Joe Root loses a toss! The windies choose to bat first and England play two spinners and omit Broad. Ali really has to contribute with the bat in this test I feel as although Rashid is more expensive he's more likely to take wickets than Moeen

Hmm.

Anyway, on the basis of a session’s play, this pitch is an absolute bowling green. Nothing for the seamers or the spinners.

Hmm.

Anyway, on the basis of a session’s play, this pitch is an absolute bowling green. Nothing for the seamers or the spinners.
Yep, there has been nothing in it at all. Patient start from the Windies who are 107-1. Anderson has currently conceded 6 runs from 13 overs, but without really looking like getting a wicket.

NZ v India ODI in Napier yesterday play was halted because it was too sunny. It was a Day/Night game and the wicket at McLean Park apparently runs east/west and as there was no cloud cover it creates a problem when the sun sets. Only caused a 1 over delay. India won comfortably.

Good effort on a pitch that's not doing much.
Should have played leach instead of Rashid for me what with his ability to hold up an end and put on pressure 

The track is flat as a pancake. That’s a terrific performance by England.

Yep, just as well they have such a deep batting line up when the top 3 or 4 struggle so often. That must have been a sore one for Bairstow, rattled him right on the elbow then on to the stumps.
It'll be interesting when the ashes come around as right now the batting of both top orders is extremely suspect. I saw a stat that jennings is the worst performing opener against pace globally