The Cricket Thread

bewlay

5 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Seems crazy to me as well, everything that came out just made me think more and more guilty.

Must be a few cricket fans on the jury :lol:

That's because the prosecution generally has more witnesses.

That the defence didn't even need to call the same-sex couple probably speaks volumes.  Then again, none of us was in court, so it could have been that the prosecution case was terrible, or that, god forbid, Stokes was actually telling the truth.

If the prosecution can't convince the jury that Stokes didn't act in defence of a couple facing homophobic abuse then a not guilty verdict doesn't seem unreasonable. Obviously I wasn't at the trial and haven't been following it closely at all but it seems like one of those situations which would be 'not proven' in Scotland.

If the prosecution can't convince the jury that Stokes didn't act in defence of a couple facing homophobic abuse then a not guilty verdict doesn't seem unreasonable. Obviously I wasn't at the trial and haven't been following it closely at all but it seems like one of those situations which would be 'not proven' in Scotland.

I think from the cctv footage though it shows Stokes actively going after 2 or 3 people in the group and assaulting them. I don't think him doing that in defence of a couple facing homophobic abuse is in any way proportionate. I'm totally surprised that he's not been found guilty.

I think from the cctv footage though it shows Stokes actively going after 2 or 3 people in the group and assaulting them. I don't think him doing that in defence of a couple facing homophobic abuse is in any way proportionate. I'm totally surprised that he's not been found guilty.  

Without knowing what the jury have heard and seen its hard to comment, but it seems likely to me the jury couldn't be convinced he definitely acted in a way that constitutes Affray. Not saying he didn't, but there must have been enough doubt cast upon the crown's case. Found innocent but doesn't mean he didn't do it, sort of thing.

This was the guidance notes issued to the jury as they went out to come to a verdict. Affray was a strange choice of charge imo, it all hinges on whether the accused's conduct would "cause a person of reasonable firmness present at the scene to fear for their own personal safety." The jury must have concluded that they were too busy fighting with each other to start bothering bystanders.IMG_20180814_233633.jpg

11 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

So Stokes to replace Curran for 3rd test. I'm guessing it's going to be as fast a pitch as possible as with the bat Curran has been better than Stokes lately but Stokes is 5-10mph faster with the ball in hand

I don't like that. I like having the left arm seamer option in the attack.

I don't like that. I like having the left arm seamer option in the attack.

Yeah, I’m not sure either, but the strength in depth England has in the all-rounder position is very promising. When Anderson retires, they could quite easily have four or five strike bowlers who also bat.

If only they could find an opener and a middle order batsman. And a competent test coach.

Continuing the above, Chris Woakes is looking like England’s best bowler.
This. When the sun came out yesterday Anderson, Broad and Stokes all looked very ordinary.

India added just 22 runs in 45 minutes this morning. Might still be more than enough though as England collapsed from 54-0 to the 128-9 they are on at the moment.

As expected, India wrapped up the win quickly today with just 17 balls bowled.

Nottinghamshire CCC had originally decided to charge £10 to get in, but after a bit of outcry on social media they scrapped that and made entry free, with donations at the gate going to charity.

As expected, India wrapped up the win quickly today with just 17 balls bowled.

Nottinghamshire CCC had originally decided to charge £10 to get in, but after a bit of outcry on social media they scrapped that and made entry free, with donations at the gate going to charity.

58p per ball. Excellent value.

Same old England, always collapsing. 122-6 at the moment with Moeen the only batsman left. Jennings, Root and Bairstow totalled 10 between them, with Bairstow playing at 4 due to his thumb injury. Tbf to Sam Curran he is making a decent job of supporting Moeen.