P&b Running Club

I'm following you now! :)

I've had a couple of runs recently. Last night I went out and picked a deliberately hilly route, with one particular hill that's about an 8% incline. Plus whenever I seemed to change direction, the wind seemed to change direction so that it was blowing right into me. Winds of over 20mph last night as well.

53:34 to complete 10km, a pretty horrific time but what a horrible run!

Tonight I was playing football so I ran the 4.05km there and back. 19:39 on the way there, I took it much easier on the way back and did it in 23:44.

My blog is now in my signature too!

I ran 3.3 miles in 24mins 22 secs last tuesday. Since then I did a killer Fartlek session, 9 x 400m in pairs, where one ran and the other rested while the other did their lap. Thursday was a killer. 1.2k course. 800m flat at a steady pace, 150m up hill hard. Then another 50m flat out as the hill levelled out. Followed by 200m easy. 6 of them. 6th lap was a killer beyond doubt.

Next weekend I have a 12K X-county race.

Nice one Gaz, I'm now following. I have a blog too, which is in my sig.

I'm following you now! :)

I've had a couple of runs recently. Last night I went out and picked a deliberately hilly route, with one particular hill that's about an 8% incline. Plus whenever I seemed to change direction, the wind seemed to change direction so that it was blowing right into me. Winds of over 20mph last night as well.

53:34 to complete 10km, a pretty horrific time but what a horrible run!

Tonight I was playing football so I ran the 4.05km there and back. 19:39 on the way there, I took it much easier on the way back and did it in 23:44.

My blog is now in my signature too!

Good reads.

I've entered the Edinburgh Marathon on 22nd May, partially inspired by Reina's thread a few days ago and partially because i've wanted to do one for the last 2 or 3 years but have always found an excuse to not do it. Mainly consisting of football injuries and/or alcohol.

However Team MacMillan have now confirmed my place, so i'm motivated as f*** to crack on with the training. I downloaded the training plan from the Edinburgh Marathon Festival site, which i will start on 31st January to taper into the event itself exactly.

MacMillan are sending me one as well, so i'll see how they compare. This means that I also get to splash some cash on new running trainers and a Nike+ gadget.

Training looks like:

Mon: 25min Easy pace (I'll probably do that around Forfar Loch, 2.6miles)

Wed: Starting on 10min Easy, 10min Hard, 10min Easy and gradually increasing times, and mixing in tempo runs.

Fri: Fartlek training

Sun: Long runs

I'll see how it goes. I've only ever run a couple of 5.2mile races before, so this will be an entirely different kettle of fish. As will 16 weeks of hard training, no drink and healthy food.

Canny wait though.

Good luck to the two of you.

Going to start running to prepare for joining the Marines. Have managed a 4 mile run in 24.47. I have no idea whether that's a good time or what so any help would be nice.

I was hoping to get my 4 mile to 22 minutes before I moved up the distance, eventually I'd like to be doing 10 miles in a decent time for next January when I hope to apply for the Marines.

Can anyone tell me if 4 miles in 24.47 is good or not?

4 miles in 24 mins? I'd say that's pretty fucking good, actually!

I go further and say it was amazing for someone starting out. I have been running for a couple of years now and that is a cracking time.

Matty I would say it is easier to go faster over a short distance when you have been training for a longer distance. I got my 5k PB just after training for a half marathon - it would be better increasing your distance before trying to get your time down.

Did the Northen X-C champs yesterday. 8 miles of hell. Started off well. Nearly lost my spickes going up a hill. Tried to continue, but had to stop to put them back on. The course had 8-inches of mud across the width of the track for 50 yards at a stretch. there was 2 hills. Straight after each other. After the 3rd lap I had nothing left in my legs. Ended up with a time of 1hr4mins and 10 secs. Aching all over last night. Bit better today.

4 miles in 24 minutes is an exceptional time for a newcomer to running. I'm guessing you do a lot of other cardio-based sports?

I haven't ran in the past week as filling in at various games of football mean I've played five games in the past week. Looking forward to getting out tomorrow.

A few of my mates and I have agreed to have a "Fitness February". There is a new kettlebell class starting at Stirling Uni so I'm thinking of going along to that.

4 miles in 24 mins? I'd say that's pretty fucking good, actually!

Cheers.

I go further and say it was amazing for someone starting out. I have been running for a couple of years now and that is a cracking time.

Matty I would say it is easier to go faster over a short distance when you have been training for a longer distance. I got my 5k PB just after training for a half marathon - it would be better increasing your distance before trying to get your time down.

Cheers, I'll look into adding distance onto my runs instead of doing the same run over and over.

4 miles in 24 minutes is an exceptional time for a newcomer to running. I'm guessing you do a lot of other cardio-based sports?

I haven't ran in the past week as filling in at various games of football mean I've played five games in the past week. Looking forward to getting out tomorrow.

A few of my mates and I have agreed to have a "Fitness February". There is a new kettlebell class starting at Stirling Uni so I'm thinking of going along to that.

Yeah I do quite a few cardio sports, I swim twice a week and play football. Add all that into my fitness course at the college and that's why I'm pretty fit.

Cheers for the comments folks.

Go to a running shop to get measured up fro trainers and then buy them off the internet (if they are too expensive in the shop). Everyone runs slightly differently and you need to make sure that you are getting the right support or you could injury yourself.

I would also recommend downloading a training schedule from the internet for adistance that you would like to do (5k or 10k is a good beginners level).

If you are having trouble sticking with your training sign up for a race as it will give you the motivation to stikc with it!

Could you, or anyone else, tell me where they think is the best shop in or around Glasgow for getting measured for new trainers?

Ta.

Edited by Ziggy

Good reads.

I've entered the Edinburgh Marathon on 22nd May, partially inspired by Reina's thread a few days ago and partially because i've wanted to do one for the last 2 or 3 years but have always found an excuse to not do it. Mainly consisting of football injuries and/or alcohol.

However Team MacMillan have now confirmed my place, so i'm motivated as f*** to crack on with the training. I downloaded the training plan from the Edinburgh Marathon Festival site, which i will start on 31st January to taper into the event itself exactly.

MacMillan are sending me one as well, so i'll see how they compare. This means that I also get to splash some cash on new running trainers and a Nike+ gadget.

Training looks like:

Mon: 25min Easy pace (I'll probably do that around Forfar Loch, 2.6miles)

Wed: Starting on 10min Easy, 10min Hard, 10min Easy and gradually increasing times, and mixing in tempo runs.

Fri: Fartlek training

Sun: Long runs

I'll see how it goes. I've only ever run a couple of 5.2mile races before, so this will be an entirely different kettle of fish. As will 16 weeks of hard training, no drink and healthy food.

Canny wait though.

Good luck to the two of you.

I'm similar to you Jupe. After reading that Reina was running for Macmillan I've signed up to raise money for them by running at Edinburgh (I'm only doing the half tho).

Have only run a few 10ks and one half marathon before and that was a few years ago but I've created a 16 week training plan and am strangely motivated (partly through fear).

Good luck with your training and remember that if it all goes wrong then it Reina's fault.

Edited by Ziggy

Which college? Im gonna guess you no a Mr Barry Carmichael

He is one of my lecturers, how do you know him?

It's Gardyne, but you already knew that from my first answer.

Good luck with your training and remember that if it all goes wrong then it Reina's fault.

I honestly was in stitches at this and I don't really know why, my Mum must think I'm a complete weirdo now. laugh.gif

Edited by mattydfc

Could you, or anyone else, tell me where they think is the best shop in or around Glasgow for getting measured for new trainers?

Ta.

The link below should give you a couple of options just go to the one nearest you and if you dont think the advice is any good go somewhere else. ask to try on a few different makes (I prefer asics but different strokes for different folks.)

http://scottishrunningguide.com/running_shops_in_scotland.php

Hello remember me? Used to be a fairly active member of the P&B Run club but hurt his knee in Dec 2009 then didn't run for like a year?

Well I went for a run on Monday. Managed about 5.5km which I was obviously delighted with. And my dodgy knee feels fine so that's a double celebration. biggrin.gif

Nice one.

I'm in training the now for the Grangemouth 10K at the end of March - going well so far. Hopefully by the time the race comes I'll be in good enough shape to have a crack at beating my PB.