P&b Running Club

I'm going a run usually 3 times a week now (Monday/Thursday/Saturday) and I am running around 2.8 miles each time therefore around 8 and a half miles a week. I feel I am getting to a position where I am doing this with slightly more ease than before. Should I be looking to increase the duration of the run or increase the intensity and stay with the 2.8 mile run?

I'm going a run usually 3 times a week now (Monday/Thursday/Saturday) and I am running around 2.8 miles each time therefore around 8 and a half miles a week. I feel I am getting to a position where I am doing this with slightly more ease than before. Should I be looking to increase the duration of the run or increase the intensity and stay with the 2.8 mile run?

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. I'm planning on breaking my 10K time by the end of the year so I'll be increaseing the duration of my run until I'm easily finishing 7 miles. Once there I'll concentrate on my speed.

Depends what your goals are with your running? Races, weight loss???

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. I'm planning on breaking my 10K time by the end of the year so I'll be increaseing the duration of my run until I'm easily finishing 7 miles. Once there I'll concentrate on my speed.

I'd say weight loss Thundermonkey....

Join a Jog Scotland group, they're great for motivating you, especailly for me who couldn't run for more thatn 3 minutes at the start!!!!

I've been getting the magazine (Womens Running). It's good too!

ha don't think I'm ready to run in company yet - when I can manage a bit more without wanting to throw up - maybe! Motivation isn't an issue thankfully, my reasons for doing it are motivation enough.

Doing a beginners 5k schedule I found on the Internet. After my original burst of enthusiasm, I caught a cold and then hurt my back so am a couple of weeks behind where I wanted to be. Running 3mins, walking 3 x4 this week. The third run is killing me, but managing the 4th ok. Next time out its run3walk2 so will see how I get on. Only got 7 weeks to go.....

Last week I was running along the coast down on the Mull of Kintyre...this week Maryhill canal....

Edited by Baggio

Goal is to loose weight, I'm not looking to go and win races or be competitive. Any advice?

Goal is to loose weight, I'm not looking to go and win races or be competitive. Any advice?

You are probably better concenetrating on being able to run longer/further. By rule of thumb you should only go up in increments of 10% - therefore if you are running for 30 mins just now try 33mins next week or if it is 5k then try for 5.5k

Yeah work on upping the distance by half a kilometre or so every week. Once you get to a distance that you like doing, then do more speedwork to bring your time down.

It's also worth introducing one or two sessions of high-intensity interval training a week as you don't want to end up being skinnyfat (lose loads of weight but not much fat). HIIT is better for fat burning than just low-intensity steady-state cardio.

I wouldn't be too concerned about getting faster then. I'd echo what the other guys have said. Once you've got a good base level of fitness you'll be able to push yourself a bit harder but until then just incrementally increase your distance.

If (once you feel up to it) you find the time, long medium paced runs are great at keeping weight off ie going out for a couple of hours but not killing yourself doing so.

Long distance running is an inefficient way to lose weight. You will certainly lose weight alright. But you have to spend a long time running to do it. Interval training will see the weight coming off much quicker and you don't need to spend hours pounding the streets to do it. You'll burn the same amount of calories in ten-fifteen minutes of hill sprinting as you would do in an hours worth of jogging. Gets it over and done with and you have the rest of the day to yourself!

Perfect for folk like me that hate distance running. And it's nowhere near as damaging on the joints.

It's also worth introducing one or two sessions of high-intensity interval training a week as you don't want to end up being skinnyfat (lose loads of weight but not much fat). HIIT is better for fat burning than just low-intensity steady-state cardio.

Interval training will see the weight coming off much quicker and you don't need to spend hours pounding the streets to do it. You'll burn the same amount of calories in ten-fifteen minutes of hill sprinting as you would do in an hours worth of jogging. Gets it over and done with and you have the rest of the day to yourself!

What type of interval training (HIIT) do you suggest?

What type of interval training (HIIT) do you suggest?

Well I use the bleep test for training. I'll try and get level fifteen the first set. Then rest for three minutes. Then try for level 12 then rest three minutes and then the third set I try and not let it get below level ten. I downloaded it off some website a while ago.

I play squash and sometimes I just use the court for sprints. Ten up and down then rest a minute then do it again and again until I feel like throwing up. It totally wipes you out but you feel like you can take on anything afterwards. It certainly gets rid of fat anyway without getting rid of muscle too if you work out your diet and training programme. I didn't want to end up looking emaciated like a lot of dedicated joggers do. I train so I can last for a couple of hours playing squash so its mostly for that. If I did a lot of running at my age then I think my knees would pack in anyway. The squash is hard enough on the legs without adding to it by running distance.

Just do whatever it is you like doing though. Some folk actually do love distance running. It's not my thing but if you like it then just stick with it. You'll still lose weight if thats all you want to be doing. And sprinting is still running. It's brilliant for getting the heartrate right up and then recovering fast. You can do much the same thing on an exercise bike too. Spin classes will wipe you out nicely without fucking up your joints.

Not specifically running related, but though i'd post it here anyway. Gaz might be the best man to answer this.

I've recently started doing weights and jogging (and binned the swimming) with the intention of bulking up a little and losing the remaining fat, however, I found myself getting more scrawny looking and losing weight, which I really don't want to do.

I've got all the time in the world to reach my goal, but simply cannot be arsed doing HIIT or indeed running/jogging because I've discovered it bores me silly. I will probably be doing at least one hill walk a week from now to autumn, and will continue doing weights, but what other cardio type activities should I do to help prevent me getting 'skinnyfat'. Would talking up swimming again (4 or 5 times a week for an hour a time), plus a few weight sessions and a weekly hillwalk be the best bet?

I'm open to most ideas.

Not specifically running related, but though i'd post it here anyway. Gaz might be the best man to answer this.

I've recently started doing weights and jogging (and binned the swimming) with the intention of bulking up a little and losing the remaining fat, however, I found myself getting more scrawny looking and losing weight, which I really don't want to do.

I've got all the time in the world to reach my goal, but simply cannot be arsed doing HIIT or indeed running/jogging because I've discovered it bores me silly. I will probably be doing at least one hill walk a week from now to autumn, and will continue doing weights, but what other cardio type activities should I do to help prevent me getting 'skinnyfat'. Would talking up swimming again (4 or 5 times a week for an hour a time), plus a few weight sessions and a weekly hillwalk be the best bet?

I'm open to most ideas.

I would say bulking up and losing weight are to seperate goals mate. Firstly you need to concentrate on the weight. This would be through the usual channels but I would highly recommend interval training even if your not that keen. Swimming is also a great method and minimises the risk of injury through impact. Have you tried circuits?

Once you reduce your body fat % you can move on to bulking. Obviously through high set/low rep workouts increasing your lifts gradually.

I would say bulking up and losing weight are to seperate goals mate. Firstly you need to concentrate on the weight. This would be through the usual channels but I would highly recommend interval training even if your not that keen. Swimming is also a great method and minimises the risk of injury through impact. Have you tried circuits?

Once you reduce your body fat % you can move on to bulking. Obviously through high set/low rep workouts increasing your lifts gradually.

I don't want to lose weight, I want to gain weight if anything, so bulking up would surely only aid that? I've got a wee bit of fat left to lose though in the grand scheme of things my body fat is reasonably low.

I'm open to most ideas.

Most of the guys that are trying to muscle build eat like b*****ds while weight training quite hard and then strip whatever fat they have put on by HIIT. That gets rid of fat and leaves the muscle they have added. It seems to be a pretty constant process as they body build.

I think HIIT is the best thing for targetting getting rid of excess fat while leaving muscle. That seems to be what Gaz is up to anyway. He will tell you no doubt. It's a diet and exercise thing including heavy weight programmes.

I have been doing the weights as well and it has changed my shape a fair bit even at 40 years old. Absolutely no intention of ending up looking like a meathead though. :lol:

I discovered this while attending the Pollok park one this morning. Think I'll switch to Strathclyde, for some reasons my times at Pollok are really crap. dunno why.

For me its the wee hill just before the end of the course that slows me down. The 10 mile cycle to Strathclyde Park would probably have a similar effect though...

For me its the wee hill just before the end of the course that slows me down. The 10 mile cycle to Strathclyde Park would probably have a similar effect though...

Yeah thats pretty hard and you've got that wee hill on both laps. Still when you get to the top of it its largely downhill.

I'll see how strathclyde park goes this saturday. I'm only about 6 or 7 miles from that probably.