P&b Running Club

I did weights last week for the first time in years. I did a good 5-10 mins stretching before hand and the same after I'd finished, then went for a swim.

The next day my pecs/shoulder area felt a little heavy, but the day after were soooooooooooo tight and sore. I don't think I could have done any more warming up/down to try and combat this. Is it just a case of persevering til my muscles get used to it?

Leave it a day and then get back into your routine. Some folk seem to get this worse than others.

I got a pull up bar a while back and ffs it fucking hurt a couple of days afterwards. But I just kept at it and its fine now.

Leave it a day and then get back into your routine. Some folk seem to get this worse than others.

I got a pull up bar a while back and ffs it fucking hurt a couple of days afterwards. But I just kept at it and its fine now.

Can I ask, was it one of the ones you fit on a door or is it different to that?

I was thinking of getting one but I don't want to ruin my door or doorframe.

I've actually contemplated building my own squat rack and pull-up bar from scaffolding out the back :ph34r:

I think I've done 4 runs of 30mins or more this week along with my normal swimming. I've got 5's tonnight so hopefully I should see a bit of an improvement in my footballing fitness.

I am no longer bothered about losing weight (I'm 6 foot, well built and am 12 stone exactly) but the aim is now to burn off the rest of the excess fat and add a bit extra muscle. I've not had a body fat measurement taken for years (last time was when I was 16 at a gym induction) but was wondering what a good target would be?

I've had a look on the internet and they seem to be quite vague in their ranges.

I think I've done 4 runs of 30mins or more this week along with my normal swimming. I've got 5's tonnight so hopefully I should see a bit of an improvement in my footballing fitness.

I am no longer bothered about losing weight (I'm 6 foot, well built and am 12 stone exactly) but the aim is now to burn off the rest of the excess fat and add a bit extra muscle. I've not had a body fat measurement taken for years (last time was when I was 16 at a gym induction) but was wondering what a good target would be?

I've had a look on the internet and they seem to be quite vague in their ranges.

For men, the levels are as follows:

Essential fat: 2-4%

Athletes: 6-13%

Fitness: 14-17%

Acceptable: 18-26%

Overweight: 27-37%

Obese: 38%

It really depends on how "cut" you want to look, and how seriously you take your exercise. If you want to get down to visible ab levels and to be able to see the "gaps" between your arm and leg muscles, for example, you'll need to be at about 10%.

Cheers.

I don't think I'll ever take excercise too seriously. I do really enjoy it but once I reach what I consider my main goals achieved I'll probably slacken off and only go to the gym 3 times a week, espeically when I have a job. I've got an excellent diet so I'm nigh on certain I'll never put any of the weight back on again.

My general plan is to keep up doing a really decent amount of swimming/running/football/some weights until the rest of the 'visible' excess flab on my stomach is gone and my fitness is at a very decent level all round, then I'll probably look to push on and take things a bit more seriously and try and tone up a bit more.

Due to injuries and others having to go in goals, I played 95% of 5's outfield and felt a hell of a lot fitter than last week (which is when I started running/jogging).

It's really pleasing to feel an imporvment as it gives me the motivation to continue.

Can I ask, was it one of the ones you fit on a door or is it different to that?

I was thinking of getting one but I don't want to ruin my door or doorframe.

I've actually contemplated building my own squat rack and pull-up bar from scaffolding out the back :ph34r:

It is one of those ones that sort of hooks over the doorframe. No drilling or hassle. And you take it down when your done with it. They only cost about £20. Well worth the money. It must be one of the best exercises you can possibly do.

BTW if you live in an older property it might not fit over the older doorframes. I'm fortunate I have a newer extension on the back of this house so it fits that. It wont work on the old bit of the house. Youd need to get a drill into the doorframe one for that. Those are only a tenner though. The wife wouldnt let me drill into the doorframe :P

I'm a bit of a latecomer to this - wondered if anyone had any advice.

Being away for a bit and happening to mention that I was going running at night the odd time to stay fit and fill the time, I was persuaded by some locals here to enter a half marathon not too far away in the middle of November, which has given me a decent incentive to work at it. Having not done any running for months and months (probably about a year actually), I've been doing quite a bit the last few weeks as I've had plenty time at nights, and managed to haul myself up over the last month, from no base at all to being able to do 9 miles non-stop last night. I go out about 3 or 4 nights a week - now that I'm up at about 9 miles, is it better to keep consolidating that with every run and then when feeling fit enough just adding a bit more on (as I've been doing) or keep it to one longish run a week and keep the others to something a bit shorter?

I'm determined I'm going to manage it, and given that I was unable to run more than a couple of laps of a track without wheezing not so long ago, I'll be well pleased if (when) I do complete the half marathon. However, the last few runs are the only ones I've ever done that are over 7 miles, and I'm not sure how I should go about it, as one of my knees has always been a wee bit bad and I'm not sure if I want to run too many miles on it before it gets properly used to it. Being competitive as I am, I have a target, that being to finish within two hours, which would be decent going for a first attempt I think.

Any reccommended ways of doing it, or is it just a matter of 'get the miles in and see how you get on'?

I just battered through it to be honest. I don't like taking painkillers at the best of times.

I've been back out a couple of times now. Pretty sure it is DOMS, as you said. Cheers for the heads up.

Running after a week off.... the day after I was sore in both calves to the hirpling a bit stage. Sorest I'd been since I'd started running again. Makes me think that, rather than resting, I do need to keep at it rather than waiting for the pain to go away. Out again two days later... sore the next day, but in better nick than before.

Weird how I didn't feel that much pain when I started jogging again. Took about a month to kick in. Must be something to do with the muscle building up after repeated exercise.

Edited by Moriarty

I'm a bit of a latecomer to this - wondered if anyone had any advice.

Being away for a bit and happening to mention that I was going running at night the odd time to stay fit and fill the time, I was persuaded by some locals here to enter a half marathon not too far away in the middle of November, which has given me a decent incentive to work at it. Having not done any running for months and months (probably about a year actually), I've been doing quite a bit the last few weeks as I've had plenty time at nights, and managed to haul myself up over the last month, from no base at all to being able to do 9 miles non-stop last night. I go out about 3 or 4 nights a week - now that I'm up at about 9 miles, is it better to keep consolidating that with every run and then when feeling fit enough just adding a bit more on (as I've been doing) or keep it to one longish run a week and keep the others to something a bit shorter?

I'm determined I'm going to manage it, and given that I was unable to run more than a couple of laps of a track without wheezing not so long ago, I'll be well pleased if (when) I do complete the half marathon. However, the last few runs are the only ones I've ever done that are over 7 miles, and I'm not sure how I should go about it, as one of my knees has always been a wee bit bad and I'm not sure if I want to run too many miles on it before it gets properly used to it. Being competitive as I am, I have a target, that being to finish within two hours, which would be decent going for a first attempt I think.

Any reccommended ways of doing it, or is it just a matter of 'get the miles in and see how you get on'?

Most training regimes recommend that you do a maximum of 80% of your goal mileage. So, for a half marathon, you're should be looking to do ten and a half miles comfortably - it's important that you stop after ten and a half miles, but feel like you could go on, if you know what I mean.

This stops you getting burnt out before a race, but also, when you're running with other people, you feel extra motivated and have a tendency to run a wee bit faster due to the atmosphere.

Aim to complete ten and a half miles regularly (twice a week), do a couple of sessions of sprints and hill work and you'll be fine.

Most training regimes recommend that you do a maximum of 80% of your goal mileage. So, for a half marathon, you're should be looking to do ten and a half miles comfortably - it's important that you stop after ten and a half miles, but feel like you could go on, if you know what I mean.

This stops you getting burnt out before a race, but also, when you're running with other people, you feel extra motivated and have a tendency to run a wee bit faster due to the atmosphere.

Aim to complete ten and a half miles regularly (twice a week), do a couple of sessions of sprints and hill work and you'll be fine.

Thanks - that sounds pretty sensible. Still five weeks until the day so I should manage that pretty comfortably by the look of it. I managed 9 miles in ridiculous humidity on Thursday night, and although I was struggling I still got there - I've never taken a top off before and found it to be so heavy with sweat as it was then! Trying to run up and down any hills might prove a bit of a problem given that the landscape around here is all pretty flat and featureless, but I'll try to find something. I've heard a couple of folk mention briefly that on race day the adrenaline takes you through the last few miles without much of a problem - is that right enough?

I now really have the motivation for getting fitter, losing fat (mainly from my stomach), and then, gaining muscle.

I've got a relatively decent diet, it's just the pints at the weekend that I need to cut down on sometimes.

So I plan to, every week day, either go for a swim, or, as this is the running thread, go running. That hopefully, along with a decent diet, and cutting down of pints, should hopefully see me achieve my goals mentioned above.

For my running: At the start I plan to do just a sustained jog at a decent pace (with sprints interspersed), as that seems to be good for improving fitness, as people have mentioned on here.

Then hopefully I will be able to move onwards and run for longer times, at a faster pace, and feeling less horrendous during it ( :lol: ), and my fitness will improve.

:)

Edited by ShakehandsTom - DFC

Our jog scotland group is coming along well. Doing interval runs now as well as straight jogging.

Now that the nights are getting dark though, the leader wants us all to get they illuminous yellow vests. Some folk already have them. They are really boggin looking though.

Any idea where I can get decent night reflector stuff without wearing these horrible things??

I was out for a run tonight after work. The first running session on my way to losing weight, building muscle and improving my fitness, mainly for 11-a-sides.

Did 6 laps of the pitch (in two lots of 3), one with sprints incorporated and one just jogging around. I also did sets of sprints across the pitch for varying distances.

I have a question though. Perhaps the people who post on this thread who have a good level of fitness can answer this. (Fudge, Gaz, Reynard, I'm looking at you. ;) )

How long would a decent time be for jogging around a football pitch for 3 laps?

I'm hoping to lose weight, gain muscle and improve fitness and to do so I will be doing running or swimming most days a week. Tomorrow I think I will go for a swim.

I have a question though. Perhaps the people who post on this thread who have a good level of fitness can answer this. (Fudge, Gaz, Reynard, I'm looking at you. ;) )

How long would a decent time be for jogging around a football pitch for 3 laps?

I'm hoping to lose weight, gain muscle and improve fitness and to do so I will be doing running or swimming most days a week. Tomorrow I think I will go for a swim.

It depends on the size of the pitch, the permimeter of a pitch can vary from about 300m to 350m. (If it's just a 'down the park' pitch it will probably be about 300m)

I wouldn't be arsed about how long it takes you to do a certain distance, at the beginning (I'm not much if at all infront of you) it's more about increasing your stamina up to a reasonable level. It will be more beneficial if you do 3000m at a comfortable jog than running quickly for 1000m, being knackered and unable to do any more.

It depends on the size of the pitch, the permimeter of a pitch can vary from about 300m to 350m. (If it's just a 'down the park' pitch it will probably be about 300m)

I wouldn't be arsed about how long it takes you to do a certain distance, at the beginning (I'm not much if at all infront of you) it's more about increasing your stamina up to a reasonable level. It will be more beneficial if you do 3000m at a comfortable jog than running quickly for 1000m, being knackered and unable to do any more.

Thinking about it a bit more, a public football park is probably 80x50m so wil have a perimiter of about 260m

Cool. Cheers. Would it not be a good indicator of how good (or otherwise :lol: ) my stamina is to see how long it takes to do laps of the pitch etc though?

Even though it was tiring, I enjoyed it and am determined to stick to a decent schedule to achieve what I mentioned above. :)

When sprinting to a certain point and turning back, I realise that unfortunately I have the turning circle of an articulated lorry. :lol::(