P&b Running Club

5 hours ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

Plantar Fasciitis - any advice? Ouch 

Must be doing the rounds at the moment as I've got it. Probably had it since a few months before the Great North Run but couldn't afford to stop and rest at that point and it never seemed too bad. Had hoped it would clear up when I had to stop with my dodgy ankle but the last week or so it's been awful. Weirdly, it seems less bad when I'm running or walking!

Have self referred to podiatry and while I wait for that to go through I’ve been trying to do some of these exercises https://www.royalberkshire.nhs.uk/media/lyed0auh/advice-and-exercises-for-patients-with-plantar-fasciitis_jul21.pdf

Ballot for London Marathon is open until Friday if anyone fancies wasting two minutes filling in the form that will inevitably lead to rejection: https://www.tcslondonmarathon.com/enter/how-to-enter/ballot-entry

Edited by Stu

5 hours ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

Plantar Fasciitis - any advice? Ouch 

Get the hard spiky ball and use it four times a day. Always use it before you set a foot on the ground first thing in the morning. And get good insoles for your shoes. Arco do a set that ore about £45 a pair and worth every penny. And rest it as much as you can. 

On 29/04/2023 at 11:50, the snudge said:

Considering entering the Paris marathon next year. Never done a marathon but it's far enough away to keep me training well and not too soon that I'm not prepared. 

Paris was a really good route, from memory. Think they've made the course even better by shortening the length of the Bois du Boulogne section that had no support.

A great event, and absolutely massive.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone found a solution for taking on water on the go? I’ve tried the backpack, tried small bottles. All just really annoying. Only really need it for distances beyond a half mara but today I had 3 gels and 2 250ml small bottle things that are soft in pockets and the first few k was brutal with extra weight

Gave up whining about the Plantar Fasciitis and got on with it (did have some acupuncture to not much affect) building up the training now to do the half marathon, finally got under the hour for a 10k (only the 3rd one I've run and first time I paced myself properly) last weekend foot was throbbing after it but has steadily improved 

19 hours ago, the snudge said:

Dumbarton 10k tonight. Aiming for sub 50 minutes but if I can get under 55 I'll be relatively pleased. 

How did it go?

Got the St Cyrus 10k in a month but that's about all i'm in for just now.

11 hours ago, keptie said:

How did it go?

Got the St Cyrus 10k in a month but that's about all i'm in for just now.

45:06 so smashed my PB of 50minutes from 3 years ago. Warm night and I started at the back but was running comfortably. 

Used chatGPT to come up with a 6 week running programme and it's worked. 

Loch Lomond 10k in 3 weeks which is a bit of a tougher course with more inclines.

Haven’t ran a 10k now since 2017 but fancy building up to it for next year.

Been doing parkrun most weeks with a best time this year of 18.50, not bad for age 50-55 category but I was comprehensively outrun by a 60 year old last week. I just don’t do enough training. Need to be running sub 19 regularly though before I’ll try a 10k again.

My son is doing the Edinburgh Half Marathon this weekend, aiming for sub 1.10

He’s broken a lot of pbs this year, 15.07 at parkrun, 15.04 for 5k (in a race where the top 23 were all sub 15, winner in 14.14 😳) 8.54 for 3k, 4.06.71 for 1500 and 2.00.41 for 800. 

He’s got hopes of breaking 31 for 10k this year but that may be pushing it. He’d planned to run the Dumbarton 10k but pulled out in favour of joining me in a sesh in Aberdeen during the week. Silly boy 😩

Edited by Captain_Sensible

• 2 weeks later...

Never done distance running but have decided to get some miles in before pre season this year.

I've been running 5k before work each day but I've found my knees are agony to the point where I'm slowing to a walk at times for my knees not my stamina, bought new running shoes and it's definitely helped alot but looking for other tips as to how to help this?

Never had any issues with my knees playing football.

Some people can't even run the 50m dash.

Two Scottish dads have issued a warning to other parents about the potential dangers attached to school sports day.

They both ended up in hospital after coming a cropper in the parents' race.

Scott Hollas from Fort William ran his way to the A&E waiting room after joining in his daughter's school race.

And Prof Donald Bloxham from Edinburgh ended up in an ambulance with three weeks off work after trying to replicate a previous victory.

As the end of term approaches in Scotland, the pair told BBC News there may be pressure from your children to perform, but it does not always go to plan.

On 16/04/2023 at 21:29, Central Belt Caley said:

Done the Round the Houses 10k today  and got round in under 50 mins so delighted with that as that was my initial goal! 

Knee started playing up from about 3km onwards and was starting to struggle badly towards the end. Few days off to let it rest and I’ll get back to it and decide what my next race is soon. 

Not ran since this 10k, ended up going to Physio a few weeks back and turns out I sprained my LCL and my IT bands giving me some bother. Was nearly in tears with some of the things he was doing to my leg but feels much improved and hopefully get back out soon. 

Did have some grand plans for this year but will be spending the summer building the mileage back up (hopefully!) 

Any tips to avoid injury?

Have done four half marathons following plans with slow build-up, tapering etc and every time I seem to end up injured for an extended period during training or after the half marathon.

This time I've got something that feels like sciatica (based on Google search) and haven't been able to exercise for three or four weeks now.

I don't tend to do strength training alongside the running, could that be the answer?

6 minutes ago, GallowayBlue said:

Any tips to avoid injury?

Have done four half marathons following plans with slow build-up, tapering etc and every time I seem to end up injured for an extended period during training or after the half marathon.

This time I've got something that feels like sciatica (based on Google search) and haven't been able to exercise for three or four weeks now.

I don't tend to do strength training alongside the running, could that be the answer?

For me the strength training helped me alongside the running, got no niggles etc.

11 hours ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Strength training is an absolute must IMO in conjunction with a commitment to stretching and flexibility. Can be absolutely mind numbing but it’s undoubtedly a good investment. 

I’d respectfully disagree, although each to their own.

The more flexible you are, the slower you are. Stretching, especially before running, is not a good idea IMO, it’ll slow you down and can lead to injury.

I’d be carful with weight training as well. I injured my knee whilst weight training in an attempt to get faster.

Stretching might be useful for sports where you need to be flexible but with running, you want to be as stiff as possible! 😆

If you’ve extra time, rather than stretching do longer warm ups / cool downs. Rather then weights, do sprints / hill sprints (as long as properly warmed up or at end of a session)

IMO

Edited by Captain_Sensible