P&b Running Club

34 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Yep 2 grand as the minimum donation surprised me a wee bit. It doesn’t seem to be in the spirit of the charity cause. What happens to someone who tries their best to raise the £2k but only ends up with say £1200, are they forced to find another £800 or their place in the marathon is taken away?

£500 and I could maybe have justified it. Even if I got friends, family and work colleagues involved I doubt I would get close to £2k anyway. 

Not sure where you are going with the “not in the spirit of the charity cause” line.  The charity object is trying to raise money, not to allow you to run. 

34 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Not sure where you are going with the “not in the spirit of the charity cause” line.  The charity object is trying to raise money, not to allow you to run. 

Most charities are usually happy to accept ANY money are they not, they don’t usually specify a minimum donation. It’s not a route I’m going to go down anyway but 2 grand seems a bit much for a charity to demand. 

12 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Most charities are usually happy to accept ANY money are they not, they don’t usually specify a minimum donation. It’s not a route I’m going to go down anyway but 2 grand seems a bit much for a charity to demand. 

They are providing you with something you want, and which you seem to value, and setting a price for it. 

if you don’t want to run, I’m sure they will take any donation you offer.  

24 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

They are providing you with something you want, and which you seem to value, and setting a price for it. 

if you don’t want to run, I’m sure they will take any donation you offer.  

I understand that, and if that’s the way they work I’m sure they will have more than enough people willing to meet their minimum donation.

Even thought they are offering you a place in the marathon I personally find the amount they want to be the unreasonably high. It’s not like it’s cost them 2 grand to reserve a place in the marathon for you, I imagine being a charity they won’t need to pay anything at all. If someone signs up with that charity and only raises £1500 do they tell them to ram it? Is anything less than £2000 not good enough for a charity, in exchange for something which is of no real monetary value? Charities should be happy people are willing to spend their own time collecting sponsor money and donations for them, as well as training for and running the marathon. Specifying a minimum amount that you need to donate seems a touch ungrateful imo. 

5 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Yep 2 grand as the minimum donation surprised me a wee bit. It doesn’t seem to be in the spirit of the charity cause. What happens to someone who tries their best to raise the £2k but only ends up with say £1200, are they forced to find another £800 or their place in the marathon is taken away?

£500 and I could maybe have justified it. Even if I got friends, family and work colleagues involved I doubt I would get close to £2k anyway. 

Pretty much, don't know how many it is, but a few of them make you agree to cover any shortfall if you don't hit the target.  But they don't get their places for free, I'm sure one charity said each place they got cost them something like £500.  

I didn't do a charity place for mine, I fluked getting accepted in the ballot on my first and only try.  Could not be arsed with the hassle of trying to get people to donate money and having it as another thing to be dealing with on top of training.

Edited by SanStarko

I’m surprised it’s still only £2k tbh, pretty sure it was at that level when I did it in 2016. I got in through the ballot so didn’t have to worry about it.

These events are big fundraisers for the charities, though. The demand for places is also huge, so it’s absolutely fair that they make the most of that. 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/oct/19/great-scottish-run-records-chalked-off-after-course-found-to-be-150m-short

"Great Scottish Run organisers have apologised to Scottish runner Eilish McColgan after her European and British 10km road record times she ran earlier this month were invalidated after it was found the course was 150 metres short due to “human error”.

McColgan finished the 2 October Glasgow race in 30 minutes and 18 seconds, beating her previous record mark by one second. However organisers The Great Run Company say the course was “not laid out in line with the previously agreed plans”.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fuxake, we're never getting independence if we can't even measure a road race properly.

Get it sorted, Sturgeon................................

This happened before in 2016. The guy who measured the course then is in the same running club as me and is pretty much the go-to guy in Scotland (and possibly other parts of the UK). From memory, there was some issue when he measured the course - there was roadworks or there were issues with roads being open making it difficult to measure it precisely - which created the potential for the mistake. He offered to measure it again on the morning of the race, when the course was all set up to make sure it was OK, but was turned down. It turned out part of the course was set up incorrectly as he was watching it on TV and saw folk going the wrong way in Bellahouston Park!

No idea whether he was measuring it this year but would be surprised if he was at fault given his years of experience.

But aye, support local events - especially Dumfries Running Club ones as you know they'll be measured accurately 😎

• 1 month later...

Did Brampton to Carlisle 10 miler race today. After the year I'd had and with the way I'd been running I'd been hoping to get somewhere near 70 minutes as I thought my PB for the course was about 63 minutes - but when I discovered even at my best I'd managed 67:30 I started having doubts.

After the first mile or so I heard a couple of folk saying they were trying to pace 7 minute miles so reckoned if I stayed with them I'd be OK. Sure enough, finished just ahead of them (cheers Garscube Harriers!) and finished within 20 seconds of my best on that route, so can't complain!

• 2 weeks later...

Need to get myself a new watch as the bit on my Garmin holding the pin in place has cracked so matter of time until it falls apart. The watch itself had started playing up a bit anyway.

Anyone got any experience of the Garmin Forerunner 35/45/55 line? Was looking at the latter - it says it's an entry level ideal for beginners, which I'm not but I'm only really bothered about the basics like speed, distance and time (and maybe elevation for the sake of it). My current Garmin does lots of fancy things that I've never really paid attention to or understood. The other option would be the 245 but not really sure I'd make use of the extras (ignoring the music aspect) to justify the cost.

12 hours ago, Stu said:

Need to get myself a new watch as the bit on my Garmin holding the pin in place has cracked so matter of time until it falls apart. The watch itself had started playing up a bit anyway.

Anyone got any experience of the Garmin Forerunner 35/45/55 line? Was looking at the latter - it says it's an entry level ideal for beginners, which I'm not but I'm only really bothered about the basics like speed, distance and time (and maybe elevation for the sake of it). My current Garmin does lots of fancy things that I've never really paid attention to or understood. The other option would be the 245 but not really sure I'd make use of the extras (ignoring the music aspect) to justify the cost.

Have used Garmin 35 for last 5 years, onto my second one now. I had bought a new strap for the original earlier this year and then within a month the watch itself gave up! Perfect for what you state you need it for. I sometimes wish I could set intervals on it but that is the only reservation I have. 

16 hours ago, Stu said:

I have a forerunner 55 and it does everything i need and way more, slightly dearer than the 45 but has a few extra options on it.

Overall i'm very happy with it and it's easy to use once you get used to it.

if anyone is looking for a new pair of trainers and fancy a discount at Hoka, here you go, 40% off Clifton 8 or challenger 6 only (£78 instead of £130)

only available until 8th Dec 

Hokaf&f40

copy and paste into coupon option 

Edited by Don Diego De la Vega

4 hours ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

if anyone is looking for a new pair of trainers and fancy a discount at Hoka, here you go, 40% off Clifton 8 or challenger 6 only (£78 instead of £130)

only available until 8th Dec 

Hokaf&f40

copy and paste into coupon option 

Nice wee deal there, been using Hoka lately good trainer

Getting a bit icy lately so the dreadmill might be getting a look in shortly. My times always go up in winter but motivation goes down for a couple of months, always find December and January can be tough going getting out of the door.

• 2 months later...

No one doing anything interesting for the last few months, then?!

I'm in for the National XC in Falkirk on Saturday. Slightly nervous as it's my first time doing it for 6 years. Praying for a calm, sunny couple of days ahead after seeing the mudbath it was last year.

5 minutes ago, morrison said:

No one doing anything interesting for the last few months, then?!

I'm in for the National XC in Falkirk on Saturday. Slightly nervous as it's my first time doing it for 6 years. Praying for a calm, sunny couple of days ahead after seeing the mudbath it was last year.

Going to Portugal next month for a 5 day training camp. Got Manchester Marathon in April then another Ultra in July, this one is only 55k compared to last years 110k. Need to just be consistent with the mileage.

On a side note can anyone recommend any running shoes for long runs? I was on my long one on Sunday and my knees felt shot to bits so need a new pair of trainers.

12 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

Going to Portugal next month for a 5 day training camp. Got Manchester Marathon in April then another Ultra in July, this one is only 55k compared to last years 110k. Need to just be consistent with the mileage.

On a side note can anyone recommend any running shoes for long runs? I was on my long one on Sunday and my knees felt shot to bits so need a new pair of trainers.

I picked up a pair of Nike Invincible 2s in the outlet shop a month or so ago for under £40(!) - definitely won't be running fast in them but feel like running on a cushion if that suits you.