P&b Running Club

6 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Tried University of Stirling parkrun today. Quite an enjoyable course, although like Strathy, it's a bit demoralising seeing the faster runners on the other side of the loch/pond. It's pretty flat except for an uphill finish which I didn't enjoy.  Even thought it's not rained for a couple of days it was muddy in parts. 

It's my local course and I think it's great except the path is narrow which makes overtaking / lapping difficult.  I like a (moderately) uphill finish. 

I've always hated running, but was feeling really unfit and unexercised towards the end of last year so on a bit of a whim I started doing one of those couch to 5k programmes. Completed it yesterday and ran 5k with a time of pretty much bang on 30 mins.

I've actually really enjoyed it: been out every second day in all sorts of crappy winter weather, but feeling fitter and time for headspace when work has been full on. Wondering what to do next - another programme to move up to 10k maybe.

9 hours ago, Adamski said:

I've always hated running, but was feeling really unfit and unexercised towards the end of last year so on a bit of a whim I started doing one of those couch to 5k programmes. Completed it yesterday and ran 5k with a time of pretty much bang on 30 mins.

I've actually really enjoyed it: been out every second day in all sorts of crappy winter weather, but feeling fitter and time for headspace when work has been full on. Wondering what to do next - another programme to move up to 10k maybe.

Well, either up the distance as you say - or if you can't be arsed / don't have time, try and decrease your time. I did my first 5k about 9 years ago in about 30 minutes and managed to get it down to 22 minutes, although I'm doubtful I'll ever get it below the magic 20 mark. 

6 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Well, either up the distance as you say - or if you can't be arsed / don't have time, try and decrease your time. I did my first 5k about 9 years ago in about 30 minutes and managed to get it down to 22 minutes, although I'm doubtful I'll ever get it below the magic 20 mark. 

I might do that. Finding the time to potentially go out on longer runs is definitely an issue for me. The prospect of being capable of doing what I did five or six minutes faster is hard to get my head around just now!

In sports generally I've always had better stamina than speed - cycling, hillwalking, etc - I can keep going for a decent amount of time, just not particularly fast. I also get a kick out of looking at maps etc after I've finished and realising I've run/cycled/walked 'all that way'!

Recorded my fastest parkrun since September 2019 today. Delighted with that as only been within a minute of it 3 times since the restart. No idea where that came from! Brilliant, sunny, crisp morning for it probably helped.

9 hours ago, morrison said:

Recorded my fastest parkrun since September 2019 today. Delighted with that as only been within a minute of it 3 times since the restart. No idea where that came from! Brilliant, sunny, crisp morning for it probably helped.

Nice one. Yes it is strange how sometimes completely out of the blue you can pull out a great run without doing anything different beforehand, good when it happens though.

Edited by keptie

On 15/02/2022 at 13:24, Stu said:

Running off the agenda for the next month sadly. Was out on a run last night and when I put my foot down at one point there was a crack and a sudden explosion of pain. Went to A&E this morning and I have some sort of minor fracture - normally treated like ligament damage and nothing serious but enough to keep me out for four to six weeks 😬

Physio on Thursday says it's probably worse than A&E thought. Broken it "good and proper" so another two weeks in the moon boot, not much walking and not really meant to drive 😔

Not loving my Nike Pegasus I’ve got for marathon training tbh. They don’t feel as cushioned as I want but I’m not getting anything more than a few one-day niggles so tempted to stick with them.

Also heard that marshmallow shoes aren’t healthy and can sap energy. Liked the looked of Adidas ultra boosts but they look like they have memory foam for soles so might be comfy but have no responsivity. Any thoughts?

2 hours ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Not loving my Nike Pegasus I’ve got for marathon training tbh. They don’t feel as cushioned as I want but I’m not getting anything more than a few one-day niggles so tempted to stick with them.

Also heard that marshmallow shoes aren’t healthy and can sap energy. Liked the looked of Adidas ultra boosts but they look like they have memory foam for soles so might be comfy but have no responsivity. Any thoughts?

Always takes me ages to break in running trainers. I bought a new pair a month ago, probably ran about ten times in them and they still don't feel great.

My wife wears Pegasus and swears by them

Pegasus are good trainers I found. In my experience after about 40-50 miles the trainer should be worn in and suit your feet and gait. I only had one pair but have almost exclusively worn Nike for nearly thirty years of football and running. One thing I will say is check the size is correct. I wore Nike air structure for a good while and was a size 8.5. Ordered a pair of fkyknit infinity and got a 9 because the 8.5 was too tight/small. I found over the years Nike are funny like that. The only other trainer I ran a marathon in were Adidas ultraboost. The very first launched version. They were the best trainer I ever had. Then they “improved” them and ruined them completely.

New York marathon ballot opened yesterday. Have fired my name in the hat... one of my mates got in a few years ago and I'm jealous he's done it and I haven't!

Fat chance but you never know. At least I'll know on 30th March & not the ludicrous wait you have for London.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone doing the Half Marathon in Alloa tomorrow?

The 9am start means that you need a car to get there in time, but they've said there's no parking at Lornshill Academy, the town hall or "surrounding areas" ... anyone know the best place to park? There is an Asda 2 miles away but I'd rather not do 2 miles before the race even starts! (not to mention hobbling 2 hours after it finishes). 

Anyone doing the Half Marathon in Alloa tomorrow?
The 9am start means that you need a car to get there in time, but they've said there's no parking at Lornshill Academy, the town hall or "surrounding areas" ... anyone know the best place to park? There is an Asda 2 miles away but I'd rather not do 2 miles before the race even starts! (not to mention hobbling 2 hours after it finishes). 

It’s been a number of years since I done this run but the Asda wasn’t that far from the start/finish. It’s maybe a 10 minute walk if I remember and there was a big bit of waste ground just up the road that everyone parked on for the race.

16 hours ago, BigBo10 said:

It’s been a number of years since I done this run but the Asda wasn’t that far from the start/finish. It’s maybe a 10 minute walk if I remember and there was a big bit of waste ground just up the road that everyone parked on for the race.

Cheers. They changed the course a couple of years ago. I needn't have worried. Just ignored the "No parking anywhere" thing and just parked and it was all fine. 1hr 44m ... not the fastest, not the slowest. Nice course - was really hot... hills not too bad apart from the hill at Menstrie at the 11 mile mark, and then the "bonus hill" at the 12.5 mile mark that nobody told me about!

• 1 month later...