P&b Running Club

11 hours ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Anyone done Falkirk Parkrun? I’m running the course (or I’d assume it’s the same) for. 10k in November. Is the hill at 2 miles really that bad?! 

Yeah, I've been. Guess it depends what you're used to, but it's pretty short in the grand scheme of things. 

The nice reward for making it to the top in the parkrun is a long downhill, but not sure what the course is like for the 10k.

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

I've ran once in the past 8 days I think. Ate shite all weekend, find the motivation subsiding big time as the mornings become dark.

How can one combat this and find a plate of running confidence?!

I run after work. Iv only got a 25 minute window before getting the wee man back from the childminder so I get it in then. I actually enjoy it as it’s still light and I challenge myself to run further in those 25 minutes. 

On 21/10/2021 at 10:04, Stellaboz said:

I've ran once in the past 8 days I think. Ate shite all weekend, find the motivation subsiding big time as the mornings become dark.

How can one combat this and find a plate of running confidence?!

Does your work schedule give you the chance to get out at lunchtime? Gives you the opportunity to get out in the daylight and if you block it out in the calendar it forces you out.

Does your work schedule give you the chance to get out at lunchtime? Gives you the opportunity to get out in the daylight and if you block it out in the calendar it forces you out.
Aye but lunchtime running is a slog. Much prefer getting out before anything else except a glass of water and going for a dump.

Hadn't done anything in over a month but managed to get myself motivated again over the last week and started with a couple of shorter runs. Bagged a 10k today in under 55:00. Hoping to do another half sometime next year then want to do a full marathon before I'm 40 (turn 37 tomorrow). Well aware of how difficult the step up from 13.1 to 26.2 will be, but hoping I can do it. 

3 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Hadn't done anything in over a month but managed to get myself motivated again over the last week and started with a couple of shorter runs. Bagged a 10k today in under 55:00. Hoping to do another half sometime next year then want to do a full marathon before I'm 40 (turn 37 tomorrow). Well aware of how difficult the step up from 13.1 to 26.2 will be, but hoping I can do it. 

I’m signed up for Edinburgh 26.2 next year and shitting it already. 

After a couple of shitty weather weeks saw me on the treadmill for my early morning runs, it was back to the forest today. Lovely morning (helped by the clocks having changed) and even saw some deer.

16 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

I genuinely think I’d get bored doing a marathon and it’s training. 

I guess it depends what kind of running you enjoy. I'd far rather stick on a few podcasts and go out for two or three hours than do a parkrun and do a half marathon distance three or four times a week so marathon training should have been a doddle for me had I not had various injuries as well as the flu for the only time I can remember.

Similarly, it'll depend what marathon you're doing. I did London so between the crowds and admiring the landmarks (and eating sweets) there was no chance of getting bored. I'd imagine it would be the same for any of the big city events, but for something like Loch Ness it might be a bit more boring.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I guess it depends what kind of running you enjoy. I'd far rather stick on a few podcasts and go out for two or three hours than do a parkrun and do a half marathon distance three or four times a week so marathon training should have been a doddle for me had I not had various injuries as well as the flu for the only time I can remember.

Similarly, it'll depend what marathon you're doing. I did London so between the crowds and admiring the landmarks (and eating sweets) there was no chance of getting bored. I'd imagine it would be the same for any of the big city events, but for something like Loch Ness it might be a bit more boring.

I love sticking my podcasts on and running but I get to the 45 minute mark and start to get bored. Maybe if the views were stimulating it would help as you say. The adrenaline or running in front of a big crowd as you do in London would also be a boost I imagine. Maybe il give it a try in the future and see how I get on. 

• 1 month later...

Bump!

The least said about my running in 2021 the better, and judging by the 2 month gap in anyone posting here, I'm guessing I'm not the only one!

Decided to start the new year as I mean to go on with a parkrun. Fancied trying a new one so went down the watter to Troon. I knew it would be windy, but Jesus wept. Whilst it wasn't cold, the wind was blowing in off the Irish sea and sandblasting the side of my face. Thankfully, it's an out and back course so both sides got equally sand-blasted. Usually it's 2.5km out and the same back - not sure what horror had befallen the latter half of the course, but we ended up doing the first half of the course twice. Time nothing to write home about but at least I didn't walk at any point. 

Signed up for Alloa, dodgy knee and piriformis, in March, so I'll need to ramp things up soonish.

1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Bump!

The least said about my running in 2021 the better, and judging by the 2 month gap in anyone posting here, I'm guessing I'm not the only one!

Decided to start the new year as I mean to go on with a parkrun. Fancied trying a new one so went down the watter to Troon. I knew it would be windy, but Jesus wept. Whilst it wasn't cold, the wind was blowing in off the Irish sea and sandblasting the side of my face. Thankfully, it's an out and back course so both sides got equally sand-blasted. Usually it's 2.5km out and the same back - not sure what horror had befallen the latter half of the course, but we ended up doing the first half of the course twice. Time nothing to write home about but at least I didn't walk at any point. 

Signed up for Alloa, dodgy knee and piriformis, in March, so I'll need to ramp things up soonish.

Strong-ish SSW up at Aberdeen beach this morning, but nothing too horrible - prefer it that way round as you get it behind you second half. Would normally prefer Hazlehead if the wind looks more horrible, however Storm Arwen did quite a number on that course and will be stuffed for a while yet sadly. Haven't been to Troon but when I did Girvan down that way in mid-summer 2019 it was absolutely wind free and even without pushing all that hard nearly PB'd on it.

Still can't decide if I want to go through the rigour of the training for a marathon this year if the VLM ballot doesn't come in. 

Edited by Scorge

3 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Bump!

Yeah same here, started 2021 with a 100km January challenge which got completed. After that road running was few and far between. 

Iv signed up to a half marathon in May which just so happens to be up a hill (didn't realise until I had signed up🙈) training starts Monday!

1 hour ago, pleslie99 said:

Yeah same here, started 2021 with a 100km January challenge which got completed. After that road running was few and far between. 

Iv signed up to a half marathon in May which just so happens to be up a hill (didn't realise until I had signed up🙈) training starts Monday!

Nice! Which one? I actually enjoy half marathons (when I'm fit) and assuming my legs don't fall off in Alloa. 

7 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Bump!

That’s the normal course.  It’s never been 2.5k out and back

1 hour ago, Wee Bully said:

That’s the normal course.  It’s never been 2.5k out and back

I think I must have misheard. What actually happened was that they moved the start line due to this ...

https://www.facebook.com/troonparkrun/videos/1073625849847074

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu