P&b Running Club

1 hour ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Your questions appear to have been answered!

If you become a regular at one it's worth investing in one of the rubber wristbands with your barcode on it. Pretty sure there is a link to the store on the website. Very handy.

In terms of times, my best 5k is 18.52 when I was about 18. Since then I've been 19 odds a couple of times but never sub-19 again. Last time I was under 20 was at the Sligo parkrun in 2018 at 19.30. Best I've ever gotten in a solo run (not a race/parkrun) is 20.13 last year when I got obsessed with trying to get sub 20 during lockdown but just ended up hurting myself!emoji23.png

Hoping a parkrun in the next few months will get me back into the 19s.

That’s interesting.  My parkruns were always 30s a k faster than my training runs, regardless of how hard i pushed. 

Edited by Wee Bully

That’s interesting.  My parkruns were always 30s a k faster than my training runs, regardless of how hard i pushed. 

I definitely have a mental block when it comes to properly pushing myself if I don't have people in front of me to try and overtake.

Funnily enough with that parkrun in Sligo, I'm adamant that I could have done much better but it was a very strange run. I finished third with 1st and second so far ahead that I could never catch them and 4th so far behind that he'd never catch me. It was basically a solo run.

I definitely have a mental block when it comes to properly pushing myself if I don't have people in front of me to try and overtake.

Funnily enough with that parkrun in Sligo, I'm adamant that I could have done much better but it was a very strange run. I finished third with 1st and second so far ahead that I could never catch them and 4th so far behind that he'd never catch me. It was basically a solo run.

18 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Nothing like a bit of competition to make you get your finger out..😀

Couch to 5k complete!

Now completely lost folks. I want to build to 10k but also want to speed up my 5k pace.

Would it work to do these sessions in a week:

1. Distance (easy pace): add 10% distance on each week to non-stop run until I get to 10k

2. Tempo: run 1k at 6mins per km (my target pace) then walk for a few mins, then repeat x 5

3. Run a 5k 

Dont know if now is the time for tempo runs or whether I kick my ego into touch and just focus on building up distance before pace? 

10 minutes ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Couch to 5k complete!

Now completely lost folks. I want to build to 10k but also want to speed up my 5k pace.

Would it work to do these sessions in a week:

1. Distance (easy pace): add 10% distance on each week to non-stop run until I get to 10k

2. Tempo: run 1k at 6mins per km (my target pace) then walk for a few mins, then repeat x 5

3. Run a 5k 

Dont know if now is the time for tempo runs or whether I kick my ego into touch and just focus on building up distance before pace? 

Above should work, though point one I wouldn’t worry about sticking too rigidly to the 10% thing. Whenever I need to build up my distance I try to just “bolt on” extra sections to my usual run, sometimes a couple of hundred meters, sometimes a bit longer. The key is keeping some kind of regularity to running. If you manage to keep at what you suggest above, you will do it no bother. 

My biggest issue these days is finding the time. I’m trying to keep consistent with running at least twice over any given 7 day period, but work has been mental non stop for 18 months, my son is 15 months old and that takes up most of my spare time, and then I have to hope the weather isn’t too mental(Biblical storms are over but it looks like a heat wave is coming back in…) when I do find a spare 60-90 minutes.

23 hours ago, SANTAN said:

Bought a treadmill the other day and it's arrived and set up, I've crowned it and now my legs feel wobbly and I feel like I'm walking faster than the world wants me to. 

Done a wee 3k tonight, was varying between walking at 5kmph and running at 8kmph, took about 40 mins. 

I'm aware that's pitiful but as someone that smokes in excess and has drank a bit too much over the past 8 months considering it's my first proper run I'm feeling very proud of myself. 

52 minutes ago, SANTAN said:

Done a wee 3k tonight, was varying between walking at 5kmph and running at 8kmph, took about 40 mins. 

I'm aware that's pitiful but as someone that smokes in excess and has drank a bit too much over the past 8 months considering it's my first proper run I'm feeling very proud of myself. 

As a slow-ass, I get comfort from knowing that a slow speed jog is 100% better effort and reward than I would get from my previous fitness regime of fuckall 

13 minutes ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

As a slow-ass, I get comfort from knowing that a slow speed jog is 100% better effort and reward than I would get from my previous fitness regime of fuckall 

Ahah that's true! Even when I used to regularly go running I've always been a slow arse. Could happily trod along at a slow jog for ages but the second I had to increase the speed or incline I'd suddenly get knackered. 

Day 3 in a row done. Did the same distance but made sure I basically did 3 or 4 extra minutes running at a higher speed. How often should you take a wee rest day? My legs feel fine but don't want to burn myself out or pick up some rookie mistake. 

I'm feeling on tap of the world tbh. Beer belly has pretty much already been vanquished. 

Edited by SANTAN

33 minutes ago, SANTAN said:

Day 3 in a row done. Did the same distance but made sure I basically did 3 or 4 extra minutes running at a higher speed. How often should you take a wee rest day? My legs feel fine but don't want to burn myself out or pick up some rookie mistake. 

I'm feeling on tap of the world tbh. Beer belly has pretty much already been vanquished. 

I'd say just be careful. Ankle feeling a bit weird, don't run etc. Make sure and stretch a fair bit, get some mobility. I've always done 3/4 days running a week when I've been into it. Get yourself to 5k and then you can add speed/longer distance runs  (what @Nutz_the_Squirrel lays out there in terms of sessions is pretty much how I did it when I started running) 

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

13 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I'd say just be careful. Ankle feeling a bit weird, don't run etc. Make sure and stretch a fair bit, get some mobility. I've always done 3/4 days running a week when I've been into it. Get yourself to 5k and then you can add speed/longer distance runs  (what @Nutz_the_Squirrel lays out there in terms of sessions is pretty much how I did it when I started running) 

I've never properly stretched so going to need to YouTube that tbh. Amazed I've never done any damage previously in all honesty. 

I would say 3 days in having a treadmill is an absolute cheat code when it comes to exercising but it does lack the intensity of the woodland runs I used to do, quite keen to build myself up and get back into the wilderness. 

28 minutes ago, SANTAN said:

I've never properly stretched so going to need to YouTube that tbh. Amazed I've never done any damage previously in all honesty. 

I would say 3 days in having a treadmill is an absolute cheat code when it comes to exercising but it does lack the intensity of the woodland runs I used to do, quite keen to build myself up and get back into the wilderness. 

I’ve got my first Parkrun tomorrow. Wish me luck.

I couldn’t do a treadmill. I love the outdoors- so good for mental health, which is a big reason for my training 

25 minutes ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

I’ve got my first Parkrun tomorrow. Wish me luck.

I couldn’t do a treadmill. I love the outdoors- so good for mental health, which is a big reason for my training 

Good luck. Just do it at your own pace and you'll get into a rhythm. 

Definitely get you on that one, I'm lucky I live in the countryside so have some beautiful woodland tracks to run on and it's definitely a different feeling bossing your running through lovely scenery rather than in a basic room. I'm going to need to get a nice motivational picture to hang up til I'm ready! 

That was hard. Went off far too fast and struggled in my 4th km but got round the course.

It’s a bit of a kick in the nuts to be in the slowest 10% of runners there but the majority of folk were proper skinny and actual runners 😂not many fatties keeping me company (which is a shame as it can be a bit intimidating for noobs with moobs).

Gives me something to aim for I guess and after just finishing couch to 5k I probably shouldn’t expect too much too soon eh? Anyway, unlike lots of other fatties, I went out in the rain and did a tough run on a Saturday morning.

35 minutes ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

That was hard. Went off far too fast and struggled in my 4th km but got round the course.

It’s a bit of a kick in the nuts to be in the slowest 10% of runners there but the majority of folk were proper skinny and actual runners 😂not many fatties keeping me company (which is a shame as it can be a bit intimidating for noobs with moobs).

Gives me something to aim for I guess and after just finishing couch to 5k I probably shouldn’t expect too much too soon eh? Anyway, unlike lots of other fatties, I went out in the rain and did a tough run on a Saturday morning.

Just remember, you are lapping everyone who is still in their bed.