P&b Running Club

Just five 10k runs left for me now. No real muscle injuries to report, but I’ve been nursing an absolute b*****d of a blister on the bottom of my left foot. I’ve been using compeed, which is great for stopping friction but not so great at preventing the pain from impact, so my mrs got me a wee thing called Aquacel foam and that’s really done the trick. It provides a great wee cushion under the painful bit, and the combination of the blister patch and that has allowed me to run pain free today for the first time in about a week. The amount raised for MND Scotland is almost £1400 as well, so that’s really been keeping me motivated. Final day Sunday, can’t wait for a pint!

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Thundermonkey said:

Nice to see this thread is still on the go. 

I’ve signed up for my 4th marathon. Stirling 2021 in May. As always I’m starting from scratch. Haven’t run the length of me in a year.

Good luck with that - hopefully it goes ahead!

16 weeks is apparently the timeframe for a marathon training cycle so you should be fine :)

Last month has seen me all but stop again, at most managing one run a week. Been getting hammered with long hours and pretty much just too knackered to do anything but sleep, and occasionally help out with the wee one.  Determined to get going again at least twice per week and ideally back to 3 runs a week, just no idea when work will calm down enough that I can do it.

I'm the same. Running nearly every day during the summer, and soon as the clocks go back, I struggle to do one run a week and I've not been out for a fortnight. 

About to go for a 5k I can normally do in about 23m. It'll be interesting to see if I can get close to that. 

47 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I'm the same. Running nearly every day during the summer, and soon as the clocks go back, I struggle to do one run a week and I've not been out for a fortnight. 

About to go for a 5k I can normally do in about 23m. It'll be interesting to see if I can get close to that. 

Well I got about 3.5km in and was keeping up with my 23m time - I even made it up heartbreak hill in fairly short order. Then I felt a bit nauseous and dizzy so just binned it off. 

Still, I got to run down Ruel Street, so it wasn't all in vain. 

On 08/12/2020 at 14:34, Ross. said:

Last month has seen me all but stop again, at most managing one run a week. Been getting hammered with long hours and pretty much just too knackered to do anything but sleep, and occasionally help out with the wee one.  Determined to get going again at least twice per week and ideally back to 3 runs a week, just no idea when work will calm down enough that I can do it.

Had that for months. You can come out the other side eventually. “Lockdown” meant extra long hours and on top of that we had to renovate a place, move, and then decided to sell our business. Got some new running shoes and found a new gym near home and just easing back in to it all again. 

4 hours ago, Shandön Par said:

Had that for months. You can come out the other side eventually. “Lockdown” meant extra long hours and on top of that we had to renovate a place, move, and then decided to sell our business. Got some new running shoes and found a new gym near home and just easing back in to it all again. 

Bought myself a windbreaker and bottoms today so I don’t have the “it’s a bit cold outside” excuse at hand. Will hopefully get out for a run tomorrow evening.

Edited by Ross.

14 hours ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Managed to get myself down to about 10 minutes flat for a mile, aware that's bang average but I can't seem to bring it down any further after bringing it down from 12 minutes relatively quickly.

Any suggestions on what to do to finally get through that barrier?

I time every run, almost obsessively. If you use Runkeeper or similar, you can listen to your times to try and push yourself further. 

I guess set yourself goals. Try and run the same distance you ran previously, but quicker. Or try and run for the same time you did previously, but further. 

Parkruns were always good for that shit. Even thought they're not technically a race, you were running with people - and that always helps. 

Hi folks, my names NJ2 and some of you may remember me from starting running in summer towards the end of our lockdown.
Glad to say I’ve stuck with it, though it’s mostly been 5k or close to that runs at lunch time. Went for a longer run this morning and knocked in 11k in under 54 minutes. Pished with rain most the time and some big b*****d hills but got it done. Happy running!

My pace seemed to have been dropping away for no reason (aside from not having done any speedwork since covid began) in the past month or so. My times on my regular routes in the last week are the fastest they've been for some time - must be down to the shite I'm eating because it's getting closer to Christmas!

• 3 weeks later...

On a real high today - did my longest run  in almost five years last night......now this was only 5.6km but after ankle reconstruction 4 years ago, and lots of associated pain since,  I never thought I would run ever again.   Started running round the golf course a few weeks ago and built it up slowly....always fearful that I would be cripple the next morning (this happened a few times when trying to make a comeback and often completyely stopped any further running for a year or so)

Last nights run was up Bennachie from the Rowantreee car park (so 382m climbing)  conditions were ridiculous with fresh snow on sheet ice on most rocks - only fell 4 times but was taking it incredibly easy on way down as didnt want to slip, bang my head in the dark at night...it was also snowing)  Whilst I used to do lots of running many many years ago (16 marathons) I have hardly done any the last 15 years or so other than an 18 month spell training for Ironman (although to be honest little run training as relied on fitness from cycling and swimming) Put on three stone since then but finally started to feel fitter the last few weeks and genuinely excited about prospect that I may after all be able to do some hill running on a regular basis.  Hill running is just fantastic and if I never ever run on a road or pavement ever again  I would not be bothered in the slightest.  I just love the isolation, the beauty, the achievement, the struggle, the excitment of plotting the descent, embracing the weather........prefer it in winter (to be fair never done any hill running in summer) Even love the night time run with a good headtorch.......

Highlight last night was a walker on his way down in heavy snow - "you going to the top.........you're a nutter".....I was back !!!

It's the cold I struggle with. Really affects my breathing and makes it quite unpleasant. Did a 5k on Sunday and really struggled in that regard. Chest was really tight and was struggling to get a good breath. The fact that I felt like I was going to vomit pure gravy can't have helped either.

Guest bernardblack
It's the cold I struggle with. Really affects my breathing and makes it quite unpleasant. Did a 5k on Sunday and really struggled in that regard. Chest was really tight and was struggling to get a good breath. The fact that I felt like I was going to vomit pure gravy can't have helped either.

Have you tried running with a snood?

I find it helps me catch my breath in the cold, if that makes sense?