P&b Running Club

14 hours ago, Gaz said:

Aye. I felt a bite a few weeks ago running in the trails at the back of the hospital in Larbert. Didn't think much of it at the time, just brushed it off. Came up in a massive bump but I thought it was just a cleg bite, it was a week later that my wife noticed it wasn't getting better and it had the bullseye target pattern. Phoned the doc and I'm on doxycycline.

Nightmare. Can be quite bad over here in the summer for tics. I’ve been lucky that I’ve managed to avoid it but I know probably half a dozen people who have been bitten in the time I have lived here. Was something I was completely ignorant of before I moved.

A bit cooler last night following the expected few days of thunderstorms and heavy rain. Managed 8.5k in around 44 minutes, which is just under the pace I was aiming for. Drop in temperature seemed to play havoc with my calves which were as tight as hell the entire time and the main reason I cut the run a little short. Had been aiming for 10k in under 51 minutes. Only bonus to calling it quits early was that I got back in the house just as another heavy shower kicked in, which would have absolutely drowned me.

Guest bernardblack

Was ideal running conditions for me last night.

Really enjoying running slower to get the miles in too.

10k in 57mins with a podcast and loved every minute of it.

At the start of lockdown I decided to take up running again, not expecting to stick at it as that had always been my issue - I'd do it for a couple of weeks tops every couple of days then I'd go weeks without doing anything. Since the start I've ran most days with a bit of cycling mixed in here and there to liven it up a bit. At the start I could barely do over 2km and was taking about 15 minutes to do that. Now I'm aiming to do 5km every time I go out and while I can't say I enjoy the process, I do usually feel good afterwards and I can see I've lost a fair bit of weight. I've absolutely no interest in going to a gym so it's been ideal for me. I'm finding it hard to force myself to do any more than 5km without stopping, so my next task is to try to use what I've achieved and keep going from there. Eventually I think I'll work myself up to a 10K but I can't see myself having any interest in going any further than that - we'll see when I actually get there though. 

I'm trying like a b*****d to keep going, but the Lyme has really been kicking my arse. Not had a 'bad' day for a week now though, so hopefully that's it getting flushed out.

I've signed up for a Race At Your Pace 150 mile challenge for August (a mix of running and walking) so hopefully that'll keep me motivated.

Guest bernardblack
At the start of lockdown I decided to take up running again, not expecting to stick at it as that had always been my issue - I'd do it for a couple of weeks tops every couple of days then I'd go weeks without doing anything. Since the start I've ran most days with a bit of cycling mixed in here and there to liven it up a bit. At the start I could barely do over 2km and was taking about 15 minutes to do that. Now I'm aiming to do 5km every time I go out and while I can't say I enjoy the process, I do usually feel good afterwards and I can see I've lost a fair bit of weight. I've absolutely no interest in going to a gym so it's been ideal for me. I'm finding it hard to force myself to do any more than 5km without stopping, so my next task is to try to use what I've achieved and keep going from there. Eventually I think I'll work myself up to a 10K but I can't see myself having any interest in going any further than that - we'll see when I actually get there though. 

You’ll find going to a 10k is easier than you think, if you’re regularly running 5k.

Some effort over lockdown btw

4 hours ago, bernardblack said:

You’ll find going to a 10k is easier than you think, if you’re regularly running 5k.

Some effort over lockdown btw

Cheers, planning on going out to try the 6 again very shortly. I don't expect to enjoy it but I'll give it a good shot!

Cheers, planning on going out to try the 6 again very shortly. I don't expect to enjoy it but I'll give it a good shot!
Your progress sounds very similar to mine when I started running again a few years ago. I would run 5s almost every other day but felt absolutely burst at the end and never thought I'd ever be able to reach a 10k but its surprisingly easy to make the move up, just take your foot off the gas a little, don't try to break any records and you'll do it no bother.

Running is a bit like the opposite of drinking. With boozing, you feel great at the time and then feel shite the next day and swear blind you're never doing it again. With running, you feel shite at the time and swear blind you're never doing it again, then afterwards you feel grand. 

50 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:
1 hour ago, Andy_K_97 said:

Your progress sounds very similar to mine when I started running again a few years ago. I would run 5s almost every other day but felt absolutely burst at the end and never thought I'd ever be able to reach a 10k but its surprisingly easy to make the move up, just take your foot off the gas a little, don't try to break any records and you'll do it no bother.

I didn't manage the 6 today, just the 5 as I met my mate when I was about a km into the run and the heat defeated me. Still I did it and I wouldn't have found the motivation to have done that at the start of the year. Now to ruin it all by having a big nonsense of a dinner.

Running is a bit like the opposite of drinking. With boozing, you feel great at the time and then feel shite the next day and swear blind you're never doing it again. With running, you feel shite at the time and swear blind you're never doing it again, then afterwards you feel grand. 

So combine running with boozing and you'll feel great all the time!!

I didn't manage the 6 today, just the 5 as I met my mate when I was about a km into the run and the heat defeated me. Still I did it and I wouldn't have found the motivation to have done that at the start of the year. Now to ruin it all by having a big nonsense of a dinner.
Still good going, the heat is probably the hardest condition to run in for me anyway so 5 in that is a pretty good workout.

Do you use a run tracker and get regular updates ie every km? I found switching that off when I was upping my distance to be beneficial as just being told I had hit 4km was almost like my body being told just hold on a little bit longer and 5km was mentally impossible to run past even if I'd planned to go further.

Not long back in from another 10k. Sadly the cooler spell of weather has passed and it was back above 20c when I went out. Had to slow the pace right down and got round in 59 minutes. Just spent an age under a cold shower and still sweating...

6 hours ago, JamesP_81 said:

Still good going, the heat is probably the hardest condition to run in for me anyway so 5 in that is a pretty good workout.

Do you use a run tracker and get regular updates ie every km? I found switching that off when I was upping my distance to be beneficial as just being told I had hit 4km was almost like my body being told just hold on a little bit longer and 5km was mentally impossible to run past even if I'd planned to go further.

I do - when I first started at the beginning of lockdown I used Strava and took my phone out with me in a pocket or armband. A few weeks in I got a Samsung smartwatch and it's done my music/tracking for about 14/15 weeks now. At first it interrupted my music to tell me every time I ran a km but I eventually managed to turn it off using the app and now I check it every 500m or so to see how I'm doing. Annoyingly if I charge it the night before sometimes it jumps ahead 200/300m from what I've actually done so I know once I get to around 23/24mins I'm almost there, I generally plan out a route with mapometer first to see where I roughly finish the 5km and everything on top of that on the way back to the house is just a nice bonus. I try not to worry about looking at it too much because there's some days where I end up almost hitting the wall at 4km and as soon as I hit the 5 I have to stop, but it's been very worthwhile for me.

Went out in the heat this morning. No tracking as my GPS is really not wanting to connect this week. So a gentle half hour around this lake area, it's nice sometimes to not bother with numbers and just go for an easy plod around.

Guest bernardblack

I’ve done something to my calf. It’s intermittently sore when I’m not running, but when I start to run it’s really sore but it goes away after a few strides.

Unsure whether to keep running with it or take a couple of weeks off.

Curse of the early shift for me again. Done f**k all this week. Out too early for a run before work, and too hot in the evenings before I head to bed. Week off next week so will hopefully manage 3 or 4 decent runs. Fancy tackling the hills again.

I've been at the running game since I've decided I'm too old to kick a football around a field anymore.

Started in march, after trying to pan my c*nt in doing fast 5ks I decided I hated that and went out really slowly and did a 13k, which I found far more comfortable and enjoyable than shorter quicker stuff. I did a couple of 16ks after that but I was definitely going too far too quickly in trainers I have owned for three years and I ended up with tendonitis on the top of my foot. 

Bought some decent trainers I started to gradually build up the distances and eventually ran my first half marathon in July, took me 2h12m but I was absolutely buzzing to have ticked that box. No inclination to run any further than that and have shortened the distances again.

I'm back to work full time now so I'm doing 10ks before work Mon Wed & Fri. Its a distance I'm comfortable with now. Quickest one is 51m 11s so under 50 minutes is the next target.