P&b Running Club

10 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Quite a few folk are doing it for charity. Fair play to them, not something I could do at all. I was more thinking about the strain on the ankles of constantly turning every ten metres.

I suppose you could turn round every 50 laps or so. But how the hell would you keep count? GPS would be useless over such short distances. 

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

Franny Benali was on the radio on Saturday talking about his plans for his back garden marathon. Initially he had planned to run laps of his garden but had to abandon this as after a test run he got dizzy pretty - and that was with changing direction at one point. So instead he put his treadmill in his garden and did that.

I'm sure I heard about someone that was going to be doing an event that involved a marathon distance on a track. How boring would that be? And I think you get 24 hour races on a track - I'd want the big screen to have Netflix to stop me getting bored.

Impressed at people on here running every day, sometimes I'd struggle when I would go to club Monday and Tuesday night. At the moment I do Monday night, Wednesday morning, Friday afternoon and Sunday morning. All 13 milers except Friday, which is 18. Give or take a few hours, the gap between each one is roughly the same and for some reason it's usually the Monday that's the biggest struggle.

Franny Benali was on the radio on Saturday talking about his plans for his back garden marathon. Initially he had planned to run laps of his garden but had to abandon this as after a test run he got dizzy pretty - and that was with changing direction at one point. So instead he put his treadmill in his garden and did that.
I'm sure I heard about someone that was going to be doing an event that involved a marathon distance on a track. How boring would that be? And I think you get 24 hour races on a track - I'd want the big screen to have Netflix to stop me getting bored.
Impressed at people on here running every day, sometimes I'd struggle when I would go to club Monday and Tuesday night. At the moment I do Monday night, Wednesday morning, Friday afternoon and Sunday morning. All 13 milers except Friday, which is 18. Give or take a few hours, the gap between each one is roughly the same and for some reason it's usually the Monday that's the biggest struggle.
57 miles a week (if i can do maths) is a pretty healthy going over 4 runs. How hard are you running them?

11 hours ago, the tungston weasel said:
12 hours ago, Stu said:

57 miles a week (if i can do maths) is a pretty healthy going over 4 runs. How hard are you running them?

Aye that'll be right distance wise. Usually between 7.30 and 7.50 minute mile pace, although I don't set out with a pace in mind. I just go for a run and only look at my watch at the end. My race pace is usually at least a minute a mile quicker.

Edited by Stu

Managed my first 10k in what I think is around 5 and a half years on Sunday morning. Clocked 57 minutes which is around 10 minutes off my standard back then and 13 off my best. I think I could probably knock 3 or 4 minutes off that without trying too hard. Getting back under 50 might require a bit of effort.

• 2 weeks later...

New trainers?

I've had these for 18 months and they've done well over 400 miles of running and quite a few school runs.

Seeing as all the shops are shut what do you guys reckon to this photo of the soles are they getting on fir changing or have got a decent bit of life left.

20200508_132523.jpg

Lockdown has been good for my running, gave me the motivation to move to running almost every day, and I’ve never felt better for it. Seems my body prefers a bit more consistency with the runs being slightly easier. I’ve also managed my fastest 5k for a while at a bawhair over 25 mins. Looking to get that to below 25 as my next goal. 

Last two runs I have did have resulted in pretty bad DOMS in my thighs, and a sore right paw. I have fallen back so far from being able to do 10k in a time I was happy with last summer. Mixing it up with cycling now tbf but can only make so many excuses for lack of activity.

Not at square one per se because despite being slow I am comfortable going out for 5 and 6k so it's not like at the start where distance intimidates, but have become an absolutely plodder [emoji23]

P&b grammar club for this pish

It’s only because I know you know better. Good work on the runs, just in from a 5k “cruise” myself, hoping my foot and knees aren’t going to be as sore as last week. It’s warmer than I realised this morning as well.

Just now, NJ2 said:

It’s only because I know you know better. Good work on the runs, just in from a 5k “cruise” myself, hoping my foot and knees aren’t going to be as sore as last week. It’s warmer than I realised this morning as well.

I got that yesterday with the weather. Dry as a stick when I got back, and only just sneaked under 6 minute Km's. Pish. Should pick it back up in short order if I keep plugging away though. Its just grim seeing confirmation of the drop in standards from where I was. 

5k tonight has nearly killed me. Almost three hours after finishing, my head is as sore as it has ever been and I feel sick as anything. This is very new and very unpleasant. Good excuse to pack it in for a bit though!

5k tonight has nearly killed me. Almost three hours after finishing, my head is as sore as it has ever been and I feel sick as anything. This is very new and very unpleasant. Good excuse to pack it in for a bit though!
Dont pack it in. Sounds like you went out dehydrated. The weather right now will easilly sneak up on you if not carefull.

Going by previous posts on this thread quitting now would be a great disservice to yourself.

Having a few knee problems of late (ICL) after increasing my activity during lockdown. I have been trying to strengthen my quads doing squats with light weights which seems to be helping. Hovering around the 22.30 mark for 5k which I always considered to be a good marker eg sub 4.30 km. I can go a good bit quicker when really fit but don’t want to risk wrecking my knee until it feels 100%. I’m mid 40s so need to be careful these days.

Also, my wife was given an old Garmin watch by one of her friends and I tried it - such a  difference not carrying my phone. I’ve been using MapMyRun for years on my phone.

What apps are folk using for running?

I've been using Strava, but I'm looking for something with a bit more detail (that can still be exported to Strava).

Ideally I want something that I can plug in a distance / time and see how I am comparing against that. So say I want to run a 5k at 4:50 pace, my target time would be 24:10, and I want to see in real-time how ahead / behind of that target I am.

Despite Strava being the market leader its features aren't that great.